Bogie's best

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
"To have and have not" is a relatively thin plot where Bogie is a charter fisherman on a French Carribbian island just prior to WW2. It's the first starring role for Lauren Bacall . It's a keeper but I like "Key Largo" with tough guy Edward G. Robinson and Bacall. Bogie's Sam Spade stuff is great also. I didn't care much for "The African Queen" although it received rave reviews or the Caine Mutiny.

He made a film where he plays a New York mobster uncovering a Nazi plot in New York. It was called "All Through the Night", probably not a classic but one of my favourites.

He made a film where he plays a New York mobster uncovering a Nazi plot in New York. It was called "All Through the Night", probably not a classic but one of my favourites.

Jackie Gleason as the waiter.
Its nearly 40 years since I saw it. I think he had two sidekicks for the comedy element which he played really well. I think he united the New York underworld to smash the plotters.

Its nearly 40 years since I saw it. I think he had two sidekicks for the comedy element which he played really well. I think he united the New York underworld to smash the plotters.
Frank McHugh and William Demarest.

McHugh has just got married, and Bogie was keeping him from his honeymoon

There are so many great films that dont get a showing these days. Its a real shame.

I was talking to a girl a little while back and she was going on about "back in the day musicals" you know Tommy, the real old classics. I thought she was talking about 42nd Street orSInging in the Rain.

But she wasnt, Grease was the film she was trying to tell me about. Mademe feel old.

Frank McHugh and William Demarest.

McHugh has just got married, and Bogie was keeping him from his honeymoon
Does it get a showing over there ? Its not on the youtube or available from Amazon over here.

"Gloves" Donahue. The movie was released in 1942 at the height of anti-Nazi propaganda. The Brooklyn slang for Nazis is "fivers" for the 5th columnists. The part where Bogie and Demarest find themselves at a "fivers" meeting and spout German gibberish with a Nazi salute and "and we will win" which brings the "fivers" to their feet is priceless 40's stuff.

Forum List

Back