Black History Month - "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
He quit pro football to pursue professional wrestling gold, and he was one of the most outstanding wrestlers in American history and one of the greatest African American athletes of all time. A graduate of Grambling, he was tremendously outspoken before his death. I remember seeing him on TV for a Grambling game and talking with the TV announcers and his son had the same coach at Grambling as he did. Unfortunately, his son didn't enter the WWE but Mr. Ladd's manager, the Grand Wizard had already pre-deceased him.

He quit pro football to pursue professional wrestling gold, and he was one of the most outstanding wrestlers in American history and one of the greatest African American athletes of all time. A graduate of Grambling, he was tremendously outspoken before his death. I remember seeing him on TV for a Grambling game and talking with the TV announcers and his son had the same coach at Grambling as he did. Unfortunately, his son didn't enter the WWE but Mr. Ladd's manager, the Grand Wizard had already pre-deceased him.

Earnie was a beloved fixture in the area of Southeast San Diego that I grew up in during the 60's.

He went to the local barbershop, sold cars at a community dealership during the off season and was friendly to all of us kids who looked up to him.

He used to come to the local park and throw passes to kids playing touch football and would sign autographs and just hangout and talk to everyone.

His former Charger teammate, friend and partner defensive lineman, Earl Faison was my high school football coach, and Earnie used to come to our practices and talk to our defensive unit.

He was a very nice, down to earth guy that everyone liked. I was very happy for his success in wrestling, and used to go watch him at the old E Street Coliseum in downtown San Diego.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back