Biologist warn of early stages of Earth's sixth mass extinction event

we're wiping out species that we haven't even discovered yet. Thanks deniers! :thup:

How can we know we are wiping something out that we do not know exists?

Logic flaw alert!

Well you could always look up species we know for sure ARE gone in, hell even in the last 50 years!

But no man lol humans have NEVER EVER impacted ANYTHING ever. Stop typing and put your fingers back in your ears man!

So species die off. That is normal. Go ask a dinosaur.

How can we know we are wiping something out that we do not know exists?

Logic flaw alert!

Well you could always look up species we know for sure ARE gone in, hell even in the last 50 years!

But no man lol humans have NEVER EVER impacted ANYTHING ever. Stop typing and put your fingers back in your ears man!

Well I would but I don't think your answer would be any good

Humans are the only species of living beings that have wiped out entire species of animals on this planet...

Evolutionary biology would disagree with you. Species can get wiped out by other species because they cannot reproduce fast enough to replace those members who are eaten.

Paleontology is a cool branch of science.

Biologist warn of early stages of Earth's sixth mass extinction event -- ScienceDaily

The planet's current biodiversity, the product of 3.5 billion years of evolutionary trial and error, is the highest in the history of life. But it may be reaching a tipping point.

In a new review of scientific literature and analysis of data published in Science, an international team of scientists cautions that the loss and decline of animals is contributing to what appears to be the early days of the planet's sixth mass biological extinction event.

Since 1500, more than 320 terrestrial vertebrates have become extinct. Populations of the remaining species show a 25 percent average decline in abundance. The situation is similarly dire for invertebrate animal life.

And while previous extinctions have been driven by natural planetary transformations or catastrophic asteroid strikes, the current die-off can be associated to human activity, a situation that the lead author Rodolfo Dirzo, a professor of biology at Stanford, designates an era of "Anthropocene defaunation."

Across vertebrates, 16 to 33 percent of all species are estimated to be globally threatened or endangered. Large animals -- described as megafauna and including elephants, rhinoceroses, polar bears and countless other species worldwide -- face the highest rate of decline, a trend that matches previous extinction events.

Why not use dna to bring them back? We could bring back every one of these 320 creatures!

interested
then; blame humans
muddled through, hoping
then; polar bears are dying off

since I know for a fact that that is complete bullshit, I wasted my time

and so did you, since you also know polar bears are doing well

Even an old dinosaur like me can recognize that an ecologic process which has been active a billion years before humans existed, is most likely still active today.

So anyone remember how humans drove all wolves out of Yellowstone, realized it wreaked complete havoc in the ecosystem, and reintroduced them because of it?

Lol no humans have never had any impact on anything right Percy?

Straw men are boring OldSchool. Stick to the OP debate topic. Humans are going to wipe out life on earth.

Good luck.

We aren't talking about AGW here, Kosh.

Humans have killed off a number of animal species and are interrupting the food chain.

Whales and tigers could disappear in our lifetime.

Fish farms had to be created because the usual spots in the lakes and oceans are nearly fished out. There's a very high probability that the salmon at your local grocery store came from a salmon farm.

Biologist warn of early stages of Earth's sixth mass extinction event -- ScienceDaily

The planet's current biodiversity, the product of 3.5 billion years of evolutionary trial and error, is the highest in the history of life. But it may be reaching a tipping point.

In a new review of scientific literature and analysis of data published in Science, an international team of scientists cautions that the loss and decline of animals is contributing to what appears to be the early days of the planet's sixth mass biological extinction event.

Since 1500, more than 320 terrestrial vertebrates have become extinct. Populations of the remaining species show a 25 percent average decline in abundance. The situation is similarly dire for invertebrate animal life.

And while previous extinctions have been driven by natural planetary transformations or catastrophic asteroid strikes, the current die-off can be associated to human activity, a situation that the lead author Rodolfo Dirzo, a professor of biology at Stanford, designates an era of "Anthropocene defaunation."

Across vertebrates, 16 to 33 percent of all species are estimated to be globally threatened or endangered. Large animals -- described as megafauna and including elephants, rhinoceroses, polar bears and countless other species worldwide -- face the highest rate of decline, a trend that matches previous extinction events.

Why not use dna to bring them back? We could bring back every one of these 320 creatures!

Considering that 99.5% of all life forms that have ever lived on this planet are now extinct, I would say that going extinct is business as usual on planet earth. Just more hysterics on the part of eco loons.

ever hear of balance of nature? What happens you bring back an extinct animal and wipe out another. I'm quite confident that the earth is quite capable of surviving without humans. It has in the past hasn't it? Why do you have the belief you are God like. You are merely a puney little human! hahahahahahaahahhhaahhhhahha

deniers AKA- Repub voters take pride in being selfish & wasting posterity's resources so long as they get theirs. Shit stains all.

interested
then; blame humans
muddled through, hoping
then; polar bears are dying off

since I know for a fact that that is complete bullshit, I wasted my time

and so did you, since you also know polar bears are doing well

Well, anyone that doesn't know for a fact that you are a dumb fuck sure does after that post.

Even an old dinosaur like me can recognize that an ecologic process which has been active a billion years before humans existed, is most likely still active today.

You state that you like paleo, but show zero evidence of having read anything at all in that discipline. It is the rate of extinction that is the differance between today and normal times. A rate that is several orders of magnitude above the norm. In fact, it can only be compared to past extinction events.

It's time we all stop worrying about things we haven't caused and can't control. The sun and earth will decide how much longer life goes on this time and in a few billion years we'll be back and having this same stupid argument again. Remember it's the 6th mass extinction event it's happened five times before and nothing we do will stop it this time.

Have you ever found it necessary to use actual knowledge to form your opinions?

I find the rapid rate of acidification most alarming. I can see a marine mass extinction taking place in my children's lifetime.

In the past, atmospheric CO2 (which causes ocean acidification) has risen and fallen, but always at a far, far slower rate than it has done today. As the pH of the world's water fell, the weathering of carbonate minerals (ex: CaCO3) buffered the process leading to much dampened pH responses. Today's rate of atmospheric CO2 increase is ten times faster than that observed in past, acid-based, mass marine extinctions. The weathering process will have no opportunity to keep this change in check. The effect on the oceans will likely be completely unprecedented in a record that already includes - as you noted - several mass extinctions.

You say we can do nothing about it. Unfortunately, you base that opinion on the mistaken and unsupportable belief that humans had nothing to do with producing the current situation. In face, we are almost totally responsible and we DO have it within our powers to remedy the situation.

Last edited:
boy they are laying the fearmongering on thick

how long have we been hearing the earth is going end?

remember when it was Globull cooling ?

Forum List

Back