Bio dome seed starter

I'm thinking about getting that. I've never used one. Does anyone use this or something like this?

That is neat and a good idea for those just beginning to plant.

OK. So, I have it AND I have some lamp things PLUS another 40 replacement thingies. Additionally, I have a gazillion seeds. I am super psyched. Tomorrow, I will start with seeds for marigolds etc.

So far (given my track record) I have been looking at this as one out of 40 will live. There is another possibility that has recently occurred to me and that is: what if they all live?

Because I would have like 80 plants.

I finally got it started with the Mexican sunflowers AND my bare root strawberries are in. I'm also the proud owner of a heater mat. I'm over here looking at greenhouses.

Not sure how I went from 'just stay alive' to greenhouse.

Slaughtered 80 plants already. I can't get them from the dome into little 2 inch biodegradable pots.

Slaughtered 80 plants already. I can't get them from the dome into little 2 inch biodegradable pots.

You are going to have to just pull the seedlings and put them in already dirt filled pots and pray.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. You would have been better off spending that $40 on a grow light. You can take pop/water bottles, cut the tops off, fill with dirt, plant and pop under a grow light and be better off.

You are going to have to just pull the seedlings and put them in already dirt filled pots and pray.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. You would have been better off spending that $40 on a grow light. You can take pop/water bottles, cut the tops off, fill with dirt, plant and pop under a grow light and be better off.
Well, I have a mat and a grow light. I'll try it that way.

Well, I have a mat and a grow light. I'll try it that way.
Roasted chicken containers plus grow lights work well too. It is basically the same thing as those domes. They have vent flaps you can manipulate if you want more or less moisture retained in them. I have probably 150 hot pepper seedlings coming up in 4 of them. I hope that tomorrow night will be our last frost and I can start migrating the keepers to larger cell packs for a month or so more before planting in the field. Mind you I have zero need for 10 of the plants let alone 150. They were seeds that fell out in a bag I had dehydrated and I was just curious if any of them would grow. Forget they exact variety. They are a bit shorter than traditional cayenne peppers but what they lack in size the more than make up for in "Oh my face is melting" punch. They are supposed to be in the 50K SHU IIRC from when I first bought them, but I would put these ones at ever hotter than that.

I don't know what the 50K SHU IIRC is.

Peppers are rated on their hotness using something called the Scoville heat unit (SHU) scale. The bigger the number, the hotter they are. Jalapeno runs at about 5K Cayenne can run up to 50K. Habanero peppers start at about twice that and can run up much higher. I grew them a couple years ago and they were so hot they were inedible. At the top of the ones grown commercially are the Carolina reapers that clock in around 2M SHU. Basically the only people who eat them are dumbasses in hot pepper eating contests. They can put you in the hospital.

Peppers are rated on their hotness using something called the Scoville heat unit (SHU) scale. The bigger the number, the hotter they are. Jalapeno runs at about 5K Cayenne can run up to 50K. Habanero peppers start at about twice that and can run up much higher. I grew them a couple years ago and they were so hot they were inedible. At the top of the ones grown commercially are the Carolina reapers that clock in around 2M SHU. Basically the only people who eat them are dumbasses in hot pepper eating contests. They can put you in the hospital.
Thanks!

Forum List

Back