Bill Murray asks Warren Buffett a question about income inequality

And Buffett chooses to give the politically correct answer instead of what he already knows to be the solution

This is the liberal feel good answer Buffett gave:

We address it through things like the Earned Income Tax Credit,” Buffett told Yahoo Finance's editor-in-chief, Andy Serwer, in March. At the time, he repeated again that “anybody that works 40 hours a week, and has a couple of kids, that they don't need a second job in the family. They can have a decent life.”

shame on the forth richest man in the world for forgetting that balanced trade where American workers make things in America again is the secret to greater income equality rather than government handouts
What I see is one rich washed up actor asking a rich nearly dead man a gotcha question about wealth.

It is soooo rich.

And Buffett chooses to give the politically correct answer instead of what he already knows to be the solution

We address it through things like the Earned Income Tax Credit,” Buffett told Yahoo Finance's editor-in-chief, Andy Serwer, in March. At the time, he repeated again that “anybody that works 40 hours a week, and has a couple of kids, that they don't need a second job in the family. They can have a decent life.”

shame on the forth richest man in the world for forgetting that balanced trade where American workers make things in America again is the secret to greater income equality rather than government handouts

They're both full of shit. Both of them want us to pay while they both keep their wealth. I don't see either giving their money away.

Your disdain of poor and working people is noted. It's common knowledge that right wingers only care about the rich. No surprises here.

You say that because:
  1. Bill Murray is a conservative?
  2. Or is it because, as a rich liberal, Bill Murray has given his wealth away before asking the rest of us to give our living wage away.
  3. Or is it that you're a hypocrite and completely ignore all the leftist millionaires (you know, like Bernie Sanders) and leftist billionaires (like Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos) who keep their own money, while paying wages to their employees that are so low that I have to have my income robbed to supplement the incomes of their employees?

Never mind, you don't have to answer. I know it's #3.

With buffett is hard to say

sometimes he makes sense and other times he babbles lib bs

Buffett is liberal with your money and mine; not with his own. He always has one priority against everything else: Warren Buffett.
Its only been a few years since buffett was eoitorializing against the trade deficit with china

but that was just a rare lucid moment for him

“try to create a society that under normal conditions with more than $60,000 of GDP per capita, that anybody that worked 40 hours a week can have a decent life without a second job and with a couple of kids.”

This is how you know Buffet is a brilliant investment guru, and an economic moron.

40 hours a week, for a decent life.

Sounds great doesn't it?

Let's play out those numbers in full.

Takes about 1 hours to mow someone's front and back lawn, in an average suburb.

In order to pay someone $60,000 a year, to mow your lawn, you would have to pay them $60 per mow. That's with no benefits.

tXbkd7vsk3skv4te25h4Io8Dgz2gzJ0YphYx_ExJFc_6J8qfFw1v3ZCyfX6h0TnhaPcsP6BF_H3FIeF0wL8Ep3HX8A6Bi0b911dEuD6BOlDh1W2eXYcUGc3ZomgxvNX-8NnRIcsfetDhTMYlKhLgWXIvynpNJYq81PSD5QGiGie77ITYKJWjJtMh4O-VcLfgeqD1EsMoy3c-_pAAWZ2HNodfyBQhAVWfCwByKTuix4fhmPXJwiGoMGseEACqLTLNwjUBR1g8FpEBT2DRHHHEVK12cq39wI74eafzn_wG07jg6zKzGlohnEO1n6h1rYB-i2iG5HBiUnpAoiBDLPQB_LZZ0C4oLaqxl-gxtsoLusDBJRelrGq022nVEholN_bJ-KCYfU2TVJBFTQ9Dow3PwcY9rfLetrMQ-q2y3bTdCY0TbkgVRegw4SvLkmLNB62ouZ5YPW1_lbWIrA7_LnBLpK_w4vZuP9sVIRP4_5zg23OpMubsLfSWssq0fKQ2lkSqi616B-cQvtLXdOM96-ZDeBruudt-EZwZ93Cw9b9CE32W7b_EAznfDsCzttxjeAu_5lFtXQ-qR6_d-C-zBX4VkRLwpv3lgQKaUCIsbeq7b8Avjmq_QjvIT4AwQv18HQaJ6sFdbs4nSzw8GuiVh9rFESbcDEkOxLIF1Ige6H20KZfDf2Srg3r1zznlcZku=w620-h320-no

In order to pay someone $60K you need to actually shell out about $80K when you include the cost of benefits and taxes.

So now we're talking about $80/mow.

But of course that doesn't include the cost of gasoline and the cost to maintain the mowers.

So now we're up to about $90 per mow.

You know you are not going to do? You are not going to hire this guy to mow your lawn.

Saying "everyone should make $60K for 40 hours of work", is a brilliant sound bite, that ignores the fact that not every job is worth $60,000 a year.

$60,000 a year, is $30/hour. Do you really think that those high skilled, super hard working McDonald's employees hitting the button on that automatic grill machine..... is worth $30/hour?

Are you going to pay out $30+ for a "value meal" at McDonalds? No you are not.

Again, if any of you applied this logic to yourself, you would never accept it.

If you hired some guy to do an oil change on your car, how much do you expect to pay? Let's say $40.

Average Jiffy Lube employee earns $9/hour (here). So now you plan to more than double the cost of labor on an oil change. Oil changes will be at least $60 to $70, if you had to pay all the techs $60,000 a year.

At some point, you'll just start changing the oil yourself.

Again, you would never accept this, if you had to pay the bill directly.

“try to create a society that under normal conditions with more than $60,000 of GDP per capita, that anybody that worked 40 hours a week can have a decent life without a second job and with a couple of kids.”

This is how you know Buffet is a brilliant investment guru, and an economic moron.

40 hours a week, for a decent life.

Sounds great doesn't it?

Let's play out those numbers in full.

Takes about 1 hours to mow someone's front and back lawn, in an average suburb.

In order to pay someone $60,000 a year, to mow your lawn, you would have to pay them $60 per mow. That's with no benefits.

tXbkd7vsk3skv4te25h4Io8Dgz2gzJ0YphYx_ExJFc_6J8qfFw1v3ZCyfX6h0TnhaPcsP6BF_H3FIeF0wL8Ep3HX8A6Bi0b911dEuD6BOlDh1W2eXYcUGc3ZomgxvNX-8NnRIcsfetDhTMYlKhLgWXIvynpNJYq81PSD5QGiGie77ITYKJWjJtMh4O-VcLfgeqD1EsMoy3c-_pAAWZ2HNodfyBQhAVWfCwByKTuix4fhmPXJwiGoMGseEACqLTLNwjUBR1g8FpEBT2DRHHHEVK12cq39wI74eafzn_wG07jg6zKzGlohnEO1n6h1rYB-i2iG5HBiUnpAoiBDLPQB_LZZ0C4oLaqxl-gxtsoLusDBJRelrGq022nVEholN_bJ-KCYfU2TVJBFTQ9Dow3PwcY9rfLetrMQ-q2y3bTdCY0TbkgVRegw4SvLkmLNB62ouZ5YPW1_lbWIrA7_LnBLpK_w4vZuP9sVIRP4_5zg23OpMubsLfSWssq0fKQ2lkSqi616B-cQvtLXdOM96-ZDeBruudt-EZwZ93Cw9b9CE32W7b_EAznfDsCzttxjeAu_5lFtXQ-qR6_d-C-zBX4VkRLwpv3lgQKaUCIsbeq7b8Avjmq_QjvIT4AwQv18HQaJ6sFdbs4nSzw8GuiVh9rFESbcDEkOxLIF1Ige6H20KZfDf2Srg3r1zznlcZku=w620-h320-no

In order to pay someone $60K you need to actually shell out about $80K when you include the cost of benefits and taxes.

So now we're talking about $80/mow.

But of course that doesn't include the cost of gasoline and the cost to maintain the mowers.

So now we're up to about $90 per mow.

You know you are not going to do? You are not going to hire this guy to mow your lawn.

Saying "everyone should make $60K for 40 hours of work", is a brilliant sound bite, that ignores the fact that not every job is worth $60,000 a year.

$60,000 a year, is $30/hour. Do you really think that those high skilled, super hard working McDonald's employees hitting the button on that automatic grill machine..... is worth $30/hour?

Are you going to pay out $30+ for a "value meal" at McDonalds? No you are not.

Again, if any of you applied this logic to yourself, you would never accept it.

If you hired some guy to do an oil change on your car, how much do you expect to pay? Let's say $40.

Average Jiffy Lube employee earns $9/hour (here). So now you plan to more than double the cost of labor on an oil change. Oil changes will be at least $60 to $70, if you had to pay all the techs $60,000 a year.

At some point, you'll just start changing the oil yourself.

Again, you would never accept this, if you had to pay the bill directly.
I think if America were not flooded with shoeless mexicans homeowners would have to pay more or - Oh Horrors! - cut it themselves

My guess is a compromise.

some home owners would pay more while others would get some much needed exercise

Much ado about nothing. I like Bill Murray but he has been used and abused by the stand up drug addicted comedy world as well as H'wood in general that his opinion is moot. I liked the latest Murray movie "the Dead Don't Die" until one of my favorite actors Steve Buscemi, who played bit part in the movie, wore a MAGA hat that actually said "Make America white again". It was a cheap political shot typical of Hollywood and Bill Murray and Steve Buscemi. I don't matter what Murray asked Buffet.

Your disdain of poor and working people is noted. It'
s common knowledge that right wingers only care about the rich. No surprises here.
Left wingers only care about abortions.
You forgot about dudes in dresses and illegal killer rapist Mexicans.

Forum List

Back