bilingual schools in israel

It's not up to Israel or any country to add languages to their official language. If you want to succeed in a country that you are in, it's up to YOU to learn the country's language, not for the country to add your language to it's official language.:cuckoo:

It depends on what is more important to that country: having an informed and educated citizenry or mandating that there be only one "official" language.

The defacto "official language" is the one that you need to succeed in that country. It doesn't hurt to include signage or other documents in other languages where a substantial portion of the (native) citizenry speaks another language.

What are you so afraid of?
Schools need to be taught in Hebrew.

You need to adapt to the country that you are in not the other way around .

Depends on how successful that country wants to be. The irony, in your statement is that the people you are claiming should "adapt to the country" are often also indiginous members of that country. It would behoove that country to consider that.

Ever wonder why Rome was so successful for so long? In part, because they did not try to supplant language/culture of their conquered territories but rather let them be or absorbed them.

With the exception of Carthage, the Romans generally did not attempt to supplant local cultures and languages. They generally left established customs in place and only gradually supplemented with the typical Roman-style improvements.[34] Along with Greek, many other languages of different tribes were used but almost without expression in writing.

For decades, senior statesmen have failed to negotiate an end to hostilities in the Middle East. Lauren Joseph, a former Hingham resident now living and working in Israel, said she believes the best chance of achieving a lasting peace lies with Israeli children – Jews and Arabs who are educated in bilingual, multicultural schools.

Joseph, 24, is director of development for the Hagar School, the country’s newest bilingual school, which is in Beer Sheva in southern Israel.

“Although Israel is a bilingual state, very few Jews speak Arabic … and it’s not a good thing,” said Joseph, who is fluent in Hebrew and is learning Arabic.

“If you hear someone speaking a language that you don’t understand and it’s a language associated with people who don’t like you, you think the worst. The person may be asking for directions, but you think he is going to harm you.”

Just as important as learning the other person’s language is learning about his or her traditions, religion and culture.

Former Hingham woman finds a ?pocket of peace? in Israeli school - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

:clap2:

I was watching the 700 club today, I guess christian are moving away from Israel in large numbers. With only 10,000 living in the Holy land area compared to 45,000 in the 80's.
Doesn't really have to do with your topic, but I thought it was interesting.
I wonder how reliable the 700 club is for news reports. Did they give any reasons why?

Who knows? :lol:
But they said it was due to the violence.
If I am home, I usually watch the last thirty minutes to get my blood pressure up in the morning. Plus it comes on right before the Price is Right, and on tuesday it is fitness day on the 700 club, and they do have good ideas for eating healthy. :lol:

I was watching the 700 club today, I guess christian are moving away from Israel in large numbers. With only 10,000 living in the Holy land area compared to 45,000 in the 80's.
Doesn't really have to do with your topic, but I thought it was interesting.
I wonder how reliable the 700 club is for news reports. Did they give any reasons why?

do those numbers refer to shrink in the number of missionaries or native christians (the numbers seem kind of small for natives)?

if there is a solid question to ask of Pat Robertson, i have an inside track. my sister-in-law is an executive at CBN (my brother might even be posting on this board under a name he hasn't told me about yet)

I am pretty sure it was native, because they talked about how it will just end up as a vacation spot for christians(not exact words), in regards to the churches. The tourism to the holy land I don't think is hurting, but the number of people attending church is down.
You should find out more, because I can't remember everything they said. I should also check their website, because they had the numbers in the segment.
And tell her sister they should keep the african american woman, and get rid of Pat Robertson. :D

do those numbers refer to shrink in the number of missionaries or native christians (the numbers seem kind of small for natives)?

if there is a solid question to ask of Pat Robertson, i have an inside track. my sister-in-law is an executive at CBN (my brother might even be posting on this board under a name he hasn't told me about yet)

I am pretty sure it was native, because they talked about how it will just end up as a vacation spot for christians(not exact words), in regards to the churches. The tourism to the holy land I don't think is hurting, but the number of people attending church is down.
You should find out more, because I can't remember everything they said. I should also check their website, because they had the numbers in the segment.
And tell her sister they should keep the african american woman, and get rid of Pat Robertson. :D

i've already popped a note to my brother.

my nephew designed that website.

thankfully, i have no television so i'm clueless about any african-american woman though i know my sister-in-law isn't likely to be trying to get rid of pat any time soon when he pays her better than anybody has ever paid her and gives my nephews jobs.

i've already popped a note to my brother.

my nephew designed that website.

thankfully, i have no television so i'm clueless about any african-american woman though i know my sister-in-law isn't likely to be trying to get rid of pat any time soon when he pays her better than anybody has ever paid her and gives my nephews jobs.

When I was working later in the day, I watched it all the time. The best part is, I am not a chrisitan. Most of it makes me mad, but like I said I like the woman, but only because they do some good things regarding fitness and eating healthy on wednesdays. The week before Easter they also did some cool specials on Israel, and showed a video of a sculpter, who did a whole skit while making a statue of Jesus's head.

This is not a bad thing, just as long as the same respect is returned (meaning the Arab students learn Hebrew). This is especially true when all their neighbors are Arabic speaking countries. When peace is achieved these will be Israel's trading partners, so its best to start now.

Intergration of Jews and Arabs students would be a very positive step to Jews and Israeli Arabs growing the country with mutual understanding.

But due note that the separation of the schools, was an Arab inniative! Arab students are fully able to join Jewish schools, but they have to learn hebrew. That wasn't good enough for the Israeli Arabs, they wanted Arabic speaking schools and hence the dual school system. The Dual system was Jews placating the Arab minority. Bad idea. Just as it would be a bad idea for America to start Spanish only public schools.

Bu requiring Arabic to be learned is beyond a positive idea!

1. Note: Go Fuck Yourself Shitgun

For decades, senior statesmen have failed to negotiate an end to hostilities in the Middle East. Lauren Joseph, a former Hingham resident now living and working in Israel, said she believes the best chance of achieving a lasting peace lies with Israeli children – Jews and Arabs who are educated in bilingual, multicultural schools.

Joseph, 24, is director of development for the Hagar School, the country’s newest bilingual school, which is in Beer Sheva in southern Israel.

“Although Israel is a bilingual state, very few Jews speak Arabic … and it’s not a good thing,” said Joseph, who is fluent in Hebrew and is learning Arabic.

“If you hear someone speaking a language that you don’t understand and it’s a language associated with people who don’t like you, you think the worst. The person may be asking for directions, but you think he is going to harm you.”

Just as important as learning the other person’s language is learning about his or her traditions, religion and culture.

Former Hingham woman finds a ?pocket of peace? in Israeli school - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

i don't particularly agree with what cmike and the rest of the zionist jews have to say around here but at least they are putting some thought into their statements.

sniping at them the way you do does nothing to refute their arguments. in fact it strengthens their arguments when you hurl insults without addressing the points at issue. like a shark attack leading to a feeding frenzy.

yea.. it must take a lot of thought to regurgitate the kind of shit that gentried southerners stated merely 40 years ago.

:rolleyes:

If you feel the urge to don a team jersey then so be it. But, and this is what knocks you off of your high horse, nothing cmike has suggested in this thread so far is even REMOTELY reflective of "putting thought into it". Nor are they innocent of refraining from shit talking and name calling. That you seem hellbent on focusing on my examples illustrates more than you probably wanted to display.

fuck you and your team jerseys. i'm trying to wear a striped shirt.

we are talking elementary debate logic.

address the issues not the person who is expounding the issue. an argument against the man is fallacious and illogical. not to mention childish.

and Ghook --- you completely negate what was otherwise an insightful comment with your note at the bottom.

will you children please take that shit to the flame zone? that's what it's there for!

Last edited:
If you have a second language, you can do more business. You have a better understanding of how the world works, and the brain gets more exercise.

That said, when in Rome, you need to talk the language of business in Rome. Be Tel Aiv, At midibrit Ivrit.

Last edited:
This is not a bad thing, just as long as the same respect is returned (meaning the Arab students learn Hebrew). This is especially true when all their neighbors are Arabic speaking countries. When peace is achieved these will be Israel's trading partners, so its best to start now.

Intergration of Jews and Arabs students would be a very positive step to Jews and Israeli Arabs growing the country with mutual understanding.

But due note that the separation of the schools, was an Arab inniative! Arab students are fully able to join Jewish schools, but they have to learn hebrew. That wasn't good enough for the Israeli Arabs, they wanted Arabic speaking schools and hence the dual school system. The Dual system was Jews placating the Arab minority. Bad idea. Just as it would be a bad idea for America to start Spanish only public schools.

Bu requiring Arabic to be learned is beyond a positive idea!

1. Note: Go Fuck Yourself Shitgun

Hey "lawyer". I highlighted your failure at grasping the English language, ironically.

but, like jello, there is always room to blame an arab, eh ghook?

FUCK YOU TOO.

Huge military advantage to knowing what the other side is saying, and they don't know what you are up to.

My understanding was that knowledge of arabic was a huge step up for someone looking for high command in the IDF

Very true, but its also very important in trade and commerce. Believe it or not most of the Arab country governments are modernizing. Jordan, Egypt, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Syria (not one attack on Israel since '73 (nearly 5 decades), Morroco, UAE and Algerai are all modernizing and fighting their Islamofacist. Heck even the Palestinians (including Hamas) is modernizing. Eventually talks won't be threats of war, but over commerce. Israel is a world leader in the tech, agriculture, diamond cutting, solar power, computer chip, healthcare, business consulting, weapon development, computer software, water conservation etc industries. She has a lot of offer to these countries in the way of trade and technology. Not to mention these countries have a lot of offer to Israel. Speaking their language would be huge and well respected.

Note: Go Fuck Yourself Shitgun

Last edited:
If you have a second language, you can do more business. You have a better understanding of how the world works, and the brain gets more exercise.

That said, when in Rome, you need to talk the language of business in Rome. In Tel Aiv, At midibrit Ivrit.

english works in most places in tel aviv and i'm told one can get around pretty well on french too.

when you have people whose native tongues are different living within the same region it seems to make sense for those people to learn each others languages. it also appears that of all the people in the world, the americans are the only ones who do not make a special effort to educate themselves in more than one language.

That said, when in Rome, you need to talk the language of business in Rome. Be Tel Aiv, At midibrit Ivrit.
Rome is a city. Israel is a country. When not in Rome Romans no doubt spoke whatever language they need to to govern.
Actually, Rome has always been a cosmopolitan city so my bet is many languages were spoken in Rome during the time of the Roman Empire.

What about the Arab jews? Is it wrong for them to speak Arabic in Israel too?

They can speak in any language they want, the schools are in Hebrew.

yea.. we'd sure hate to validate anyone other than jews in israeli schools!

:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Forum List

Back