Biden’s Afghan Shell Game Prompts Media Shrugs and Stenography

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011

Obscuring US responsibility

The story of Biden’s reallocation of Afghanistan’s reserves wasn’t mentioned by a single TV news outlet, according to a search of the Nexis news database. That failure is sadly unsurprising, given their overwhelming lack of interest in the Afghan people once the US military withdrawal was complete—after incessant wailing about the fate of those people during the withdrawal itself (FAIR.org, 12/21/21).

The Los Angeles Times (9/15/22) ran an AP report on the funds on its front page. That report—which also ran in major papers like the Chicago Tribune and Baltimore Sun—obscured the US responsibility for the situation, using passive language to explain that “international funding to Afghanistan was suspended” and “billions of dollars of the county’s assets abroad, mostly in the United States, were frozen” after the US withdrawal.

That Biden had unilaterally announced that half the money would be effectively stolen from the Afghan people, who had nothing to do with 9/11, and reserved for families of 9/11 victims, was likewise reported with passive language and no hint of controversy: “The other $3.5 billion will stay in the US to finance payments from lawsuits by US victims of terrorism.”

Once upon a time I was a real big fan of this organization. I don't post a lot from them anymore but every once in awhile they really do have some good articles. This one is good because it highlights how bad our media really is. It's ok to not agree with where this is article is going but I don't need the media to make that decision for me. As far as the information, he US under Biden is responsible. The international community recognizes this.

We have no business making any sorts of decisions over that money.

Forum List

Back