Biden Position on Guns Is a Joke

I've fired an M60 Machine gun in combat. It's no great thrill.
Having someone trying to kill you doesn't sound like much fun.

Shooting tin cans is less stressful. They don't shoot back.

A general purpose machine gun would be a bit much for my backyard though. A submachine gun is more suited to the space that I have.

If I did get a general purpose machine gun I'd want a German MG-34. Full autos from between WWI and WWII are so much more elegant than full autos from any other period.

Unless you're 11 years old, WTF is so thrilling about shooting a can?
Maybe some of us never grow up.

Still wanna? Buy a BB gun.
Not the same thing as taking to those tin cans with a real submachine gun.

Then you won't have to worry about what's down range from your target.
I have a large enough backyard to fire a submachine gun.

On the other hand, firing a submachinegun in my backyard would certainly advertise to the world that I have one to steal.

If I got a MG-34 I would have to take it to an appropriate shooting range in order to fire it, but I wouldn't be advertising my home as a target for thieves.

That's just the problem with gun ownership based on age or the belief that the CONST. says ANYONE can. Far too many idiots and adults who never grew up will be in possession of a tool that will not just injure the user but will pose a threat to everyone around him/her. I'm sure you're a great, kind and somewhat sane guy but I don't want to have to trust that you are just because someone handed you a license.
I have no problem with requirements for reasonable safety training for gun ownership. I wouldn't want the requirements to be made so draconian that it became impossible to get guns though.

Once you experience what weapons like the M16 or AR15 can do to the human body, there's no longer any doubt to a sane person that weapons like these are indeed weapons of war and have no legitimate purpose beyond that.
AR-15s are used for protection against foxes and coyotes.

The police seem to think that they are appropriate for defending against criminals as well.

And the fact that one looks exactly like the other but one is capable of full auto and the other of semi auto means little when one can easily squeeze and fire at an amazing pace with the AR15. And now with these very large capacity clips, there is even less to distinguish one from the other. When I was in Vietnam in 68-69, clips beyond 20 rounds were scarce and the ones issued weren't truly 20 rounders. 18 was the number unless you wanted to jam frequently. So on full auto, a burst would empty that clip in about 1-2 seconds. Nobody in my squad used full auto, ever.
As long as the gun is being aimed for each shot and not just spraying at random, it's also not too far off from the rate of fire of pump-action and lever action.

But because they look similar, AR15's appeal to grown men who want to play soldier. That makes them deadlier to be in all but the most mature hands. The point I'm trying to make is that the differences between hunting rifles and weapons of war are blurred and someone who just wants to look COOL or a serious sportsman becomes blurred also. Those are the clowns that I worry about.
The cosmetic appearance of the gun doesn't change anything. What's wrong with looking cool?

The NRA types always accuse the left of wanting to take away ALL guns. But, truth be told, the right has no limit to the types of weapons or the types of people they believe are perfectly okay to own them.
That isn't true. We think it is OK to restrict weapons from criminals and from the dangerously insane.

Plus they look super cool. (Not being snarky here, honestly, they are cool looking guns)

The cosmetic appearance of the gun doesn't change anything. What's wrong with looking cool?

Actually not a thing. EXCEPT that really what that is playing to is the "child" in all of us. A gun is a serious tool for serious adults. Carrying an AR-15 around the forest while squirrel hunting or even deer hunting would make the hunter look like a moron who is play acting.

I think this is part of the problem with Americas and guns. We no longer treat them like the useful tools they are. We have descended into a childlike obsession with the cool looking guns. And we've developed a poor relationship with those guns. Might be why we have so much of a problem with them.

Carrying an AR-15 around the forest while squirrel hunting or even deer hunting would make the hunter look like a moron who is play acting.
I'd question hunting squirrels or deer with an AR-15. It would not be powerful enough to humanely kill a deer. It would vaporize a squirrel and spoil the meat. It is more suitable for protection from foxes and coyotes.

But I see no problem with deer hunting with an AR-10. (With a magazine size compliant with hunting regulations of course.)

Plus they look super cool. (Not being snarky here, honestly, they are cool looking guns)

Actually not a thing. EXCEPT that really what that is playing to is the "child" in all of us. A gun is a serious tool for serious adults. Carrying an AR-15 around the forest while squirrel hunting or even deer hunting would make the hunter look like a moron who is play acting.

I think this is part of the problem with Americas and guns. We no longer treat them like the useful tools they are. We have descended into a childlike obsession with the cool looking guns. And we've developed a poor relationship with those guns. Might be why we have so much of a problem with them.
Thanks. You've said it better than I could.

The police seem to think that they are appropriate for defending against criminals as well.

As long as the gun is being aimed for each shot and not just spraying at random, it's also not too far off from the rate of fire of pump-action and lever action.

That isn't true. We think it is OK to restrict weapons from criminals and from the dangerously insane.
Unfortunately, many times we discover that someone is a criminal or dangerously insane as a result of actions they've taken to expose themselves as such. And typically, the NRA issues a statement about how the gun isn't the problem. All of that "Thoughts and Prayers" nonsense. To me, if the reason some adult wants an AR is to make themselves a legend in their own mind, then that in and of itself is a warning sign. Too many fuckin' guns.

Unless you're 11 years old, WTF is so thrilling about shooting a can? Still wanna? Buy a BB gun. Then you won't have to worry about what's down range from your target. That's just the problem with gun ownership based on age or the belief that the CONST. says ANYONE can.
Thank you for further demonstrating your ignoranc,e bigotry and irrational fear.
Far too many idiots and adults who never grew up will be in possession of a tool that will not just injure the user but will pose a threat to everyone around him/her.
Thank you for further demonstrating your ignorance, bigotry and irrational fear.
I'm sure you're a great, kind and somewhat sane guy but I don't want to have to trust that you are just because someone handed you a license. Once you experience what weapons like the M16 or AR15 can do to the human body, there's no longer any doubt to a sane person that weapons like these are indeed weapons of war and have no legitimate purpose beyond that.
Thank you for further demonstrating your ignorance, bigotry and irrational fear.
And the fact that one looks exactly like the other but one is capable of full auto and the other of semi auto means little when one can easily squeeze and fire at an amazing pace with the AR15. And now with these very large capacity clips, there is even less to distinguish one from the other.
When I was in Vietnam in 68-69, clips beyond 20 rounds...
Hey... stolen valor...
"Magazine" not "clip"
But because they look similar, AR15's appeal to grown men who want to play soldier. That makes them deadlier to be in all but the most mature hands.
The point I'm trying to make is that the differences between hunting rifles and weapons of war are blurred and someone who just wants to look COOL or a serious sportsman becomes blurred also.
Those are the clowns that I worry about. The NRA types always accuse the left of wanting to take away ALL guns. But, truth be told, the right has no limit to the types of weapons or the types of people they believe are perfectly okay to own them.

Unfortunately, many times we discover that someone is a criminal or dangerously insane as a result of actions they've taken to expose themselves as such.
That's been the human condition for as long as there have been humans.

It's unlikely that it will ever change.

Maybe one day defensive weapons will become entirely non-lethal. But I doubt that it will reduce murders any. If defensive guns are ever supplanted by non-lethal weapons, murderers will just migrate to a different weapon to commit their killings with.

And typically, the NRA issues a statement about how the gun isn't the problem.
Well it isn't. Murders are caused by murderers. Murderers will use whatever tool they can get their hands on.

To me, if the reason some adult wants an AR is to make themselves a legend in their own mind, then that in and of itself is a warning sign.
I'm not sure what that legend in their own mind means.

I assume that most want one because they think it looks cool or they think it is effective for self defense.

Thank you for further demonstrating your ignoranc,e bigotry and irrational fear.

Hey... stolen valor...
"Magazine" not "clip"

I will never say a word with MAGA in it. So, it's Clip.

Hey... stolen valor...
"Magazine" not "clip"

Why be such an asshole? Lookin' for something?

Here's what Joe Biden has repeatedly said he want to do about guns in America.

1. Ban what he calls "assault weapons"
2. Ban high-capacity magazines.
3. Hold gun Manufacturers "accountable"

Strike 1....Strike 2......Strike 3

First, according to the second amendment of the Constitution, the right to bears arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED (exactly what Biden is proposing to do)

Second, I don't think Biden, or any of his leftist friends, clueless about guns, have any idea what they're talking about, when they loosely throw the phrase "assault weapons". I've heard some of them refer to the AR-15 rifle as an assault weapon , when it's just an ordinary rifle, that fires one shot with each pull of the trigger.

Third, unlike Biden's claim that high capacity magazines have no place in a civilized society, and his question of why there is a need for that, there easily could be a need. What if a whole gang of thugs show up in your front yard ? (let's say 10-15 of them). A 6 shooter wouldn't cover that.

Third, gun manufacturers have nothing to do with any of this. In addition to the guns possessed by police, there are far more guns in the hands of law-abiding people (with CCW permits), than there are criminals in possession of them. And you cant blame an inanimate object. Some people kill or injure others with a car. Wanna ban cars ? Some people are attacked with baseball bat. Wanna ban baseball bats ? Some people are killed with a kitchen knife. Wanna ban them ?

Lastly, banning assault rifles (whatever anybody defines that to be) or any kind of rifle, doesnt ,match up with the facts. Relatively, very few people are killed with rifles.
I need my machine gun to protect from the hoards of roving mad max gangs who want to eat me

Murica

I dont even know what means, nor do I have any need to. Looking it up, it appears to be either a very small fringe cult of sorts, or possibly an offshoot of that, maybe picked up by leftist activist provacateurs, and being used as a propaganda tool - and please don't tell me that the left doesn't do that, because I was a prime member of the left for 40 years, and I participated in some of those provacateur propaganda activities myself, before I came to my senses about 20 years ago.
Get real. 26 of the republicans candidates running in the the congressional elections are QAnon repugnants. The repug party is the party of idiots.

Huh ? If auto “magic” weapons are no great thing, why does the military use them ? Dah. A full auto was banned because it gave one person the fire power of half a dozen soldiers with semi autos. Obviously, you were NEVER in the military during a shooting war . Ever been shot at by a full auto ? Ask a vet.
As is typical from you, your response is non-responsive. What does any of that have to do with the post you're responding to?

Wow! I was out a couple of weeks and this thread was on page 32 or so. I got back this week and it's on 68. So I've bounced around, 5 or 10 pages at a time, looking for the current state of discussion on Biden's gun position - you all remember the title of the thread, right? If not, just look at the top.

I didn't find more than 2 posts about guns from when I left until the latest. It's time to clean it and continue something at least remotely related to the topic or just close it down as completely useless.

Thanks. You've said it better than I could.

Unfortunately, many times we discover that someone is a criminal or dangerously insane as a result of actions they've taken to expose themselves as such. And typically, the NRA issues a statement about how the gun isn't the problem. All of that "Thoughts and Prayers" nonsense. To me, if the reason some adult wants an AR is to make themselves a legend in their own mind, then that in and of itself is a warning sign. Too many fuckin' guns.

Yes, thankfully that's still how it works in the United States. At least for now, we arrest people for their actions and not what someone thinks they'll do.

The problem with crime is not that we're failing to arrest criminals before they commit crimes; it's that we're failing to put them in prison after they commit crimes.

Forum List

Back