Beware of the new Windows 11 "S Mode"

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
My HP has been acting up for awhile, looking around at a replacement.
Toying around the DELL site and I kept seeing laptops with a "S Mode" Windows.
What is that?
Whoah... S Mode is a restricted operating system that only allows you to download apps from the Microsoft Store, and only allows you to use Microsoft Edge.
WTF?

SO if you are in the market for a new laptop - be sure to uncheck "S Mode"

What is that?
Whoah... S Mode is a restricted operating system that only allows you to download apps from the Microsoft Store, and only allows you to use Microsoft Edge.
WTF?

Looks like it's time to switch to Apple.

Seems like something a school or library might get to better control the allowable content.

DELL list it as "extra security" - which it would be, but yeah right - like this isn't about M$ forcing unaware consumers into only being able to use their platforms.
The problem I have is DELL is making this the default choice. And I would say at minimum 95% of consumers aren't tech savvy enough to look into was "S Mode" is.

What is that?
WTF?

I recommend the Samsung Chromebook 4. It is very fast and has a good price on Walmart -$119. And it's new, not refurbished.

Last edited:
I recommend the Samsung Chromebook 4. It is very fast and has a good price on Walmart -$119. And it's new, not refurbished. Here it is: Robot or human?
I can't take the small size of Chromebooks. They are fast and easy to use for sure. And damn cheap.
Also I do use a few programs that are not browser based, so a Chromebook wouldn't do.

I can't take the small size of Chromebooks. They are fast and easy to use for sure. And damn cheap.
Also I do use a few programs that are not browser based, so a Chromebook wouldn't do.
Okay. I hope you find what you are looking for.

What is that?
WTF?

Look at Lenovo dude.

I have had a couple and they are pretty good.

Look at Lenovo dude.

I have had a couple and they are pretty good.
I have had one in the past, and it was pretty good.
It looks like S Mode is currently only DELL. Probably a test market for M$ to see how it goes.
They reduce the price of the laptop by $70 if you choose that option... which is the default option.
And because of that - DELL is out for me. Shame on them for effectively tricking customers so their laptops are cheaper than competitors.

I have had one in the past, and it was pretty good.
It looks like S Mode is currently only DELL. Probably a test market for M$ to see how it goes.
They reduce the price of the laptop by $70 if you choose that option... which is the default option.
And because of that - DELL is out for me. Shame on them for effectively tricking customers so their laptops are cheaper than competitors.
Dells blow anyway.

HP are horrid too.

Apples are rock solid but that operating system makes me wanna drink bleach.

Cool...noted on the S Mode.

Thanks.

What is that?
WTF?

You can switch it out of S Mode.

Is that because they don't come with the special magic crystal included? :lmao:
Back in the day DELLS were really good. Them and Gateway. (Back in the late 90s)
I was a Sys Admin back then and we bought dozens and dozens of them, had very rare issues.
HPs were terrible back then, like Compaq. Junk.
HPs today have a lot of battery issues wit the laptops. After a few years, you pretty much have to leave them plugged in. You might get an hour off the cord. After 2 HPs I had where the battery bombs in just a couple years... I am reluctant to buy another one.

What stores does Apple let you buy apps from? :lmao:
Apple is the most proprietary computer company in the world. But... at least their stuff is very good. Really good hardware.
It is nothing for an iMac to run 24hrs a day for over a decade and still run like it is new.

Forum List

Back