Better Elton John Song?

What's the Better Elton John Song?

• Candle In The Wind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goodbye YellowBrick Road

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
I can't decide between the two you offered. Both are great.

Up until about 1980, I owned every EJ album and knew the words to every song. He was unquestionably my favorite artist for many years. The lyrics of Bernie Taupin were pure poetic genius. Elton brought those to life with his familiar yet original melodies and vocal style. I like his earlier works much better. Tumbleweed Connection is one of my all-time favorite albums. I consider his "early era" to have ended with Captain Fantastic. Everything from that point forward is not quite the same magic... he and Bernie had a bit of 'parting of ways' and Elton began working with other songwriters and musical collaborators. Some of his stuff from the 80s really sucked... worst album, Victim of Love (1979).

He later would come back to do some pretty decent stuff but I don't think he ever matched his earlier work. Still, one of the greatest artists of all time.

Was having a debate tonight.. most people like Candle In The Wind.
I like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road better of the 2.....

My favorite song of his though is Funeral For a Friend.

I also like:

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues

and

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Elton's rendition of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is better than the Beatles and I LOVE the Beatles.

Captain Fantastic is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Amoreena. But I'm old school.
I was tempted to say Amoreena but figured no one would know it. LOVE that song to this day! Definitely one of my favorites but there are SO many... it's just impossible to pick only one. I do tend to like the obscure gems on his albums as opposed to the big hits.

A few others that I love...

Sixty Years On
Sweet Painted Lady
Harmony
Bad Side of the Moon
Texas Love Song
Into the Old Man's Shoes
Burn Down the Mission
Indian Sunset
Rotten Peaches
Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
Blues for My Baby and Me
High Flying Bird
I'm Going to Be a Teenage Idol
Solar Prestige a Gammon
Writing
Bitter Fingers
I Feel Like a Bullet (In the Gun of Robert Ford)

Forum List

Back