Better candidates mean better results

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.

Looking around the internet this morning, it seems pretty clear that the GOP did a much, much better job of picking candidates this time around.

I was wrong - I can't think of any stupid, foot-in-mouth gaffes that derailed critical campaigns, and I was assuming there would be at least two or three.

And the person being credited for much of the improvement? Mitch McConnell.

The hardcore righties may want to pay attention to this.

Looking around the internet this morning, it seems pretty clear that the GOP did a much, much better job of picking candidates this time around.

I was wrong - I can't think of any stupid, foot-in-mouth gaffes that derailed critical campaigns, and I was assuming there would be at least two or three.

They won't. What they will do is be convinced that most of America has an insane hatred of President Obama, just like they do, because they managed to barely eek out victories in states that Mitt Romney won.

Also, there's a big difference between not saying anything crazy and not being crazy.

Yes, give these guys credit for not running anyone who put an adjective in front of the word "Rape" or used to be a Witch or ran a racist commercial with a Chinese girl in it during the Superbowl. I even give the GOP Establishment credit for beating back the Tea Party and its excesses.

But now the Tea Partiers are going to want something for their co-operation.

The GOP might stand a chance if they propose good government legislation that even Obama would have a hard time rationalizing a veto on.

But if they insist on Benghazi and IRS investigations, all the time, they'll pretty much blow any good will they gained.

They won't. What they will do is be convinced that most of America has an insane hatred of President Obama, just like they do, because they managed to barely eek out victories in states that Mitt Romney won.

Also, there's a big difference between not saying anything crazy and not being crazy.

Yes, give these guys credit for not running anyone who put an adjective in front of the word "Rape" or used to be a Witch or ran a racist commercial with a Chinese girl in it during the Superbowl. I even give the GOP Establishment credit for beating back the Tea Party and its excesses.

But now the Tea Partiers are going to want something for their co-operation.

The GOP might stand a chance if they propose good government legislation that even Obama would have a hard time rationalizing a veto on.

But if they insist on Benghazi and IRS investigations, all the time, they'll pretty much blow any good will they gained.
Well the majority do hate obama. His approval is in the 30 s. Personal question - do you like joe biden or something?

I think the Democrats and Republicans can do something here if (a) Obama is willing to do a Clinton and (b) the Tea Partiers find their place quietly.

The last time this country was really purring was when Clinton was in the White House and the GOP controlled Congress.

As I always say, equilibrium.

Did you forget the part of that "equilibrium" where the Congress impeached Clinton over a blow job, even though 70% of the country thought it was a horrible idea?

Or when they shut down the government?

Like I said, I really don't think the GOP will show that much restraint. I don't think they are capable of it.

I think the Democrats and Republicans can do something here if (a) Obama is willing to do a Clinton and (b) the Tea Partiers find their place quietly.
Well if i was obama tomorrow id crop dust the press room quickly then get the hell out of there. :)
The last time this country was really purring was when Clinton was in the White House and the GOP controlled Congress.

Did you forget the part of that "equilibrium" where the Congress impeached Clinton over a blow job, even though 70% of the country thought it was a horrible idea?

Like I said, I really don't think the GOP will show that much restraint. I don't think they are capable of it.

I just care about results.

Yes, the GOP did dumb things, agreed. REALLY dumb.

Peace & prosperity are far more important to me than which party is "winning".

Well the majority do hate obama. His approval is in the 30 s. Personal question - do you like joe biden or something?

Meh, not really. Yes, it would be totally impossible to believe my first name is "Joseph" and my last name begins with a B.

Actually, I considered JEB131 as a screen name, as my middle name is "Eugene". But I didn't go with that.

And, no, that wouldn't mean I like Jeb Bush, either.

Anyway, I think you are a bit confused if you confuse an "approval rating" for hate. (Psst. Obama's approval rating is in the mid-40's, compared to Congress which has an approval rating of 15% or so.)

You know all of those things lead to great republican accomplishments, right? Clinton caved. :)

Meh, not really. Yes, it would be totally impossible to believe my first name is "Joseph" and my last name begins with a B.

Actually, I considered JEB131 as a screen name, as my middle name is "Eugene". But I didn't go with that.

And, no, that wouldn't mean I like Jeb Bush, either.

Anyway, I think you are a bit confused if you confuse an "approval rating" for hate. (Psst. Obama's approval rating is in the mid-40's, compared to Congress which has an approval rating of 15% or so.)
You post the one that says 40s and ill post 4 that say 30s bottom line is the majority hate the job hes doing.

I just care about results.

Yes, the GOP did dumb things, agreed. REALLY dumb.

Peace & prosperity are far more important to me than which party is "winning".

In the spirit of non-partisanship, peace and prosperity didn't have anything to do with those guys.

ON the subject of Peace, the fact is in the 1990's, we largely ignored the growing threat of Jihadism. the few times Clinton did try to do something about it, the Republicans accused him of "Wagging the Dog".

for Prosperity, yes, we had an economy that benefited from a draw down of COld War military spending and a tech boom, but the seeds for the destruction of that were laid when Clinton and the Republicans agreed that Free Trade was a wonderful thing, and American workers totally needed to compete with slave labor in Mexico and China.

I think if the GOP has a future, it's not in the empty suits they elected to the Senate last night. It's in the governors they've elected- pragmatic technocrats who don't spew partisan nonsense.

You know all of those things lead to great republican accomplishments, right? Clinton caved.

Uh, no, actually, he really didn't. The GOP passed a budget he COULD sign after there was massive public backlash against them for the shutdown. Clinton beat the snot out of Bob Dole, and Gingrich was forced to resign in disgrace.
How old are you? Shutting down government forced clinton to cave. If the public was backlashing against the gop then how did they get welfare reform? Got you. Case closed.

[
You post the one that says 40s and ill post 4 that say 30s bottom line is the majority hate the job hes doing.

Are you God's own special retard?

Okay, here it is, from Right Wing RCP's polling average.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

The LOWEST approval rating Obama has is 39%. That's UPPER 30's, not lower 30's.

the other 8 polls have him north of 40%.

Oh, yeah, and please learn how to do simple contractions, Cleetus.

How old are you? Shutting down government forced clinton to cave. If the public was backlashing against the gop then how did they get welfare reform? Got you. Case closed.

Welfare reform had nothing to do with the shutdown. The issue with the shutdown was the GOP wanted to curb the growth of Medicare, and they caved and gave Clinton what he wanted.

On Welfare reform, Clinton got a less draconian law than the GOP wanted, to the point where it was actually nearly meaningless.

[

Are you God's own special retard?

Okay, here it is, from Right Wing RCP's polling average.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

The LOWEST approval rating Obama has is 39%. That's UPPER 30's, not lower 30's.

the other 8 polls have him north of 40%.

Oh, yeah, and please learn how to do simple contractions, Cleetus.
You didnt let me post mine. How is that 50+%? The majority hate the job hes doing. Are you obamas bitch or something? Runaway.

you love to bullshit dont you? You and me are going to have some good arguments here. I can see. :)

Welfare reform had nothing to do with the shutdown. The issue with the shutdown was the GOP wanted to curb the growth of Medicare, and they caved and gave Clinton what he wanted.

On Welfare reform, Clinton got a less draconian law than the GOP wanted, to the point where it was actually nearly meaningless.

Forum List

Back