Best rifle for hunting whitetail deer

300 Savage model 99e.

The Savage 99 is a cool rifle.

That it is. Gotta love a lever action.

I had a chance to buy a Rossi lever action in .357 Mag several years ago. Decent price. Couldn't see a need for it. Have regretted that since.

I got a Winchester 30.30 and thats about it for lever action.
Very dependable gun and there are not many elk in Texas if any so the caliber is fine. Its not a Elk gun I can tell you right now.

The only Elk in Texas are in the far west.
But of course I'd never hunt em with the 30.30.
Thats what the .270 is for.

300 Savage model 99e.

I had a chance to buy a Rossi lever action in .357 Mag several years ago. Decent price. Couldn't see a need for it. Have regretted that since.

Very dependable gun and there are not many elk in Texas if any so the caliber is fine. Its not a Elk gun I can tell you right now.

Elk can't take a shot a run quite a bit. Definitely want high cal and good scope for the Bulls

Elk can't take a shot a run quite a bit. Definitely want high cal and good scope for the Bulls
That's why I chose the 300. The seasons overlap as well.

Never had a problem dropping em with the .270,hell they ain't much bigger than an Axis and the .270 will punch all the way through even hitting ribs on the way in and out.

Never had a problem dropping em with the .270,hell they ain't much bigger than an Axis and the .270 will punch all the way through even hitting ribs on the way in and out.
Now lets talk Duck. I run a Rem 870 20 with a scope. BIG scope because I like to bust them as they are coming in. And the best dog I had for fetching was a Weimaraner. His name was Chadwick and he was as clumsy as a SOB but get in the field and he was spot on.

Now lets talk Duck. I run a Rem 870 20 with a scope. BIG scope because I like to bust them as they are coming in. And the best dog I had for fetching was a Weimaraner. His name was Chadwick and he was as clumsy as a SOB but get in the field and he was spot on.

Haven't had the opportunity to do much duck hunting, but will be taking my bow out later this week for some turkey.

Only time I got to hunt with a dog is with a guide. But than the marshes in Texas are only a couple of feet deep.
But yeah the 870 Wingmaster is what I usually use,put a Eotech on it and it sure helps the old eyes.

Haven't had the opportunity to do much duck hunting, but will be taking my bow out later this week for some turkey.
Hunted Turkey in Missouri for 12 years. You want a shotgun challenge? Pheasant, they lift strait up and turn and bang they are gone. You have to shoot them as they lift otherwise good bye.

Hunted Turkey in Missouri for 12 years. You want a shotgun challenge? Pheasant, they lift strait up and turn and bang they are gone. You have to shoot them as they lift otherwise good bye.

Snipe are a MF'r to hit. They fly in a corkscrew pattern and are a real bitch to hit!!
My best day bird hunting in my life was hunting Snipe. Hit 24 out of a 25 box of shells.

Never had the chance to hunt Pheasant. One for the bucket list.

Bow wise I had a PSE Nova vector 4 with a Rocky Mountain 4 pin site. Use a 4 inch PSE overdraw with a 2117 arrow. Fletched my own. I lived WAY out.

Never had the chance to hunt Pheasant. One for the bucket list.
Use a number 6 with the barrel wide open. I used a Fox 12 Skeet gun.

Why don't you try hunting deer fairly. The deer has no weapon, you have no weapon, and see how superior you feel then.
I wouldn't know a thirty aught six from a bottle of 409 but I wouldn't make an inappriapriate comment like yours. Haven't you ever bonded with the guys before? You should stay out of threads where you can't contribute meaningfully.

Why don't you try hunting deer fairly. The deer has no weapon, you have no weapon, and see how superior you feel then.
I wouldn't know a thirty aught six from a bottle of 409 but I wouldn't make an inappriapriate comment like yours. Haven't you ever bonded with the guys before?

Only over a cup of hot chocolate on a pajama sleepover......

I wouldn't know a thirty aught six from a bottle of 409 but I wouldn't make an inappriapriate comment like yours. Haven't you ever bonded with the guys before? You should stay out of threads where you can't contribute meaningfully.
I wouldn't know a thirty aught six from a bottle of 409 but I wouldn't make an inappriapriate comment like yours. Haven't you ever bonded with the guys before?

Only over a cup of hot chocolate on a pajama sleepover......
His idea of "bonding" with the guys USED to be illegal.

Forum List

Back