Bess Myerson, the 1st Jewish Miss America, dies at 90

• Banned
I don't remember her trumpeting her religion, so who cares?

you are one ignorant goy living in jesusland, so of course you don't know

Bess Myerson was born July 16, 1924, the second daughter of Russian immigrants. Raised in a one-bedroom Bronx apartment, she was beloved by her housepainter father, Louis, and beleaguered by her strict mother, Bella.

Myerson won, advancing to Atlantic City for the Miss America pageant. Organizers urged her to change her name — they suggested "Betty Merrick" — but Myerson refused.

Her title, captured as the horrors of the Holocaust were coming to light, made Myerson a hero to her peers. Walking down the stage to cries of "Mazel tov!" from Jews in the audience, Myerson later recalled thinking, "This victory is theirs."

Bess Myerson was born July 16, 1924, the second daughter of Russian immigrants. Raised in a one-bedroom Bronx apartment, she was beloved by her housepainter father, Louis, and beleaguered by her strict mother, Bella.

Myerson won, advancing to Atlantic City for the Miss America pageant. Organizers urged her to change her name — they suggested "Betty Merrick" — but Myerson refused.

Her title, captured as the horrors of the Holocaust were coming to light, made Myerson a hero to her peers. Walking down the stage to cries of "Mazel tov!" from Jews in the audience, Myerson later recalled thinking, "This victory is theirs."

OH no here it comes, right after WWII, how many American men lost their lifes in WWII?

• Banned
"You have to understand. I cannot change my name," she recalled telling the pageant director. "I live in a building with 250 Jewish families. If I should win, I want everybody to know that I'm the daughter of Louie and Bella Myerson."

635560853949749340-Bess-Myerson-Miss-America-1945.jpg

Myerson used her title to fight bigotry and discrimination. Long after her one-year reign, she spoke out on behalf of the Anti-Defamation League, the NAACP and the Urban League.

"You have to understand. I cannot change my name," she recalled telling the pageant director. "I live in a building with 250 Jewish families. If I should win, I want everybody to know that I'm the daughter of Louie and Bella Myerson."

635560853949749340-Bess-Myerson-Miss-America-1945.jpg

Myerson used her title to fight bigotry and discrimination. Long after her one-year reign, she spoke out on behalf of the Anti-Defamation League, the NAACP and the Urban League.

Are you eulogizing her because of her religion or her politics?

Had you left out the first sentence you could have had a good post here, Guno.

OH no here it comes, right after WWII, how many American men lost their lifes in WWII?

why don't you go bow to your statues

I think that Penelope would prefer that we eulogize "wants her name", the woman who played Ellie May on the Beverly Hillbillies who died last week. She was a devoted Christian.

Nope just sick like many others that we continue to hear non stop plight of the Jews in WWII.

Shall we all wear badges so that everyone will know our preferred ethnicities? Is it so terrible to be viewed as an individual?

I think that Penelope would prefer that we eulogize "wants her name", the woman who played Ellie May on the Beverly Hillbillies who died last week. She was a devoted Christian.
Donna Douglas. I couldn't believe her age! The 60s was a long time ago. As for Bess Meyerson, she was a class act.

Forum List

Back