Zone1 Beggars at the Intersection: How do you feel about them? What do you do?

Well, Lisa left out the part where they get free opera tickets and get picked up by limousines to take them to work every day.
I'm afraid I don't get this response.. :dunno:

My guess would be that your head is not capable of going far enough up your ass for you to get a god enough sense of how DudleySmith sees things to make any sense of anything that it has to say.

My guess would be that your head is not capable of going far enough up your ass for you to get a god enough sense of how DudleySmith sees things to make any sense of anything that it has to say.
umm... OK

Was there a compliment in there somewhere?

hmmmmm

Now I don't get your response..

sigh. I think it's time to call it a day :bigbed:

In the past two years, I have noticed an epidemic of people begging at major intersections in my city. At a big four-way stop, you'll see them at all four medians. They're working in tandem. All have cardboard signs. All begging for help.

What do you do about it?

My first impulse is anger. I'm angry that they're implicitly lying about how they'll use the money, probably going for drugs or booze. The other thing is my charity solicits in front of certain stores. We have to go through a lot of red tape to get permission and permits to solicit. From the business; from the state; from the strip mall owner. And it absolutely frosts me to see these beggars at those same strip mall exits panhandling for themselves...not for charity....to buy drugs and booze. They didn't ask permission from anyone. It angers me even more when dunderheads give them money.

Now as a Christian, I wrestle with this. I feel bad that I get angry. I've talked to two priests about this. Both said I shouldn't get angry. One said that rather than give them money, I should engage with them and offer to accompany them to a restaurant and have a meal with them. The other priest said I should be pleasant and treat them like a human being, though I don't have to give them anything. He said "How rotten must their lives be that they would stand out there, regardless of what they do with the money?" He had a point. People addicted to drug or alcohol are not happy or well people. Anger isn't the proper response.

One time I did as the first priest instructed. The very next day after I talked to him, I was sitting in the parking lot at Lowe's looking at my phone. A woman tapped on my window and asked for money for something to eat. I thought it was divine providence. So I offered to go into the Kroger's and get her some fruit and bread and such. But that wasn't what she had in mind. She wanted to eat at the Sonic across the way. So I said fine and let her order. She got a meal deal with fries and a drink. I bristled at what I considered a junk meal, but went with it. I paid $8.64. Trying to make conversation, I asked her name. She refused to tell me. We talked a little bit about her circumstance. Everyone in her life was a f*cking asshole by her account. At the end, she asked for money. I declined. She thanked me for the meal and went on her way .

Pope Francis when asked the question, said he would not only talk to a beggar kindly, he would give them money. He said "So what if the person wants to buy a glass of wine. Who among us doesn't have a guilty pleasure?" I don't see it that way. I see it as enabling an addiction. I was talking to a woman who works in the ABC stores. She said she'll see these guys who were out panhandling come in with stacks of bills to buy liquor. Homeless professionals advise people to NOT give beggars money, that you can give them vouchers for the local shelter. It is a fact that most homeless are not beggars, and most beggars are not homeless.

So how did I feel after my encounter with the woman at Lowe's? Ambivalent. I felt sort of good, but also sort of like a sucker. Probably more the latter. I definitely didn't like getting her a junk meal, but I guess that wasn't the point. I liked that she seemed appreciative, and may it did help her a little. But I decided I probably would do it again if given the same circumstance, at least not in the same way.

I have softened recently, when I considered the plight of a neighbor girl my daughter's age who fell into drugs. Nice family, good neighborhood. But she just went bad. Now they don't know where she lives. She has a child her parents have adopted and take care of. What if it was this neighbor girl whom I've know since she was six who I saw pandhandling on the street corner? I wouldn't be angry then. I would feel compassion and sorrow. I'd ask her if she needed anything or to be driven somewhere. But I wouldn't give her any money.

Any thoughts about this topic?
It’s almost always a white guy. That is what I noticed.

We have systems in place to assist them.

umm... OK

Was there a compliment in there somewhere?

hmmmmm

Now I don't get your response..

sigh. I think it's time to call it a day :bigbed:

I see that you're new here.

You'll learn that there are some creatures that infest this forum, that are so batshit crazy, so deceived, or so outright evil, that it is very difficult for a sane, decent, rational person to understand them.

DudleySmith is one such creature. There are a few others, even more spectacularly so than it is. You'll figure out soon enough which ones they are.

I'm afraid I don't get this response.. :dunno:

It's sarcasm. I'm not an ideologues, so so many of the mentally ill can't deal with anything outside their box, and of course both extremes have their PC Police trying to impose their limited little boxes on everybody else. You'll spot them all, on both wings, soon enought. We have the BDS sufferers along with the TDS sufferers here, and a small contingent of racist Orthodox Jews thrown in for extra fun. The s-called 'white nationalists' here are actually look sane compared to the left wing racist nutjobs here.

It’s almost always a white guy. That is what I noticed.

We have systems in place to assist them.

Most welfare programs are administered by black left wing 'social workers', so guess who gets left out when the funds get distributed. Women and children also get first dibs, white males last, and funds in most states yearly budgets usually run out by May at the latest every year even for many of the 'privileged'. Many kids survive on grandma and granpa's limited Social Security pensions, too.

I see that you're new here.

You'll learn that there are some creatures that infest this forum, that are so batshit crazy, so deceived, or so outright evil, that it is very difficult for a sane, decent, rational person to understand them.

DudleySmith is one such creature. There are a few others, even more spectacularly so than it is. You'll figure out soon enough which ones they are.
I've stumbled upon a few

not familiar w/ DudSmith

But I have enough negative things on my mind these days, so I doubt I will engage w/ him/them..

Everyone looks sane compared to them!

Nah. Democrats and 'progressives' and all their kiddie raping deviant heroes are far more insane. As an example, here is The Progressive gushing over Harry Hay, the faggot Founder of the 'Homosexual fetishists Rights' hoax and vigorous NAMBLA defender.Was also a card carrying Communist Party member as well.

Only true pieces of shit would make a hero out of that vermin, or George Floyd for that matter. The white nationalists aren't running around in our schools conditioning 6 year olds into believing they should sexually mutilate themselves either.

Nah. Democrats and 'progressives' and all their kiddie raping deviant heroes are far more insane. As an example, here is The Progressive gushing over Harry Hay, the faggot Founder of the 'Homosexual fetishists Rights' hoax and vigorous NAMBLA defender.Was also a card carrying Communist Party member as well.

Only true pieces of shit would make a hero out of that vermin, or George Floyd for that matter.
i said everyone looks sane compared to liberals. Put any moron next to a liberal and the moron will look like Einstein

I can't read about that pervert. I don't know...the older I get the less I can stomach such sickness..

In the past two years, I have noticed an epidemic of people begging at major intersections in my city. At a big four-way stop, you'll see them at all four medians. They're working in tandem. All have cardboard signs. All begging for help.

What do you do about it?

My first impulse is anger. I'm angry that they're implicitly lying about how they'll use the money, probably going for drugs or booze. The other thing is my charity solicits in front of certain stores. We have to go through a lot of red tape to get permission and permits to solicit. From the business; from the state; from the strip mall owner. And it absolutely frosts me to see these beggars at those same strip mall exits panhandling for themselves...not for charity....to buy drugs and booze. They didn't ask permission from anyone. It angers me even more when dunderheads give them money.

Now as a Christian, I wrestle with this. I feel bad that I get angry. I've talked to two priests about this. Both said I shouldn't get angry. One said that rather than give them money, I should engage with them and offer to accompany them to a restaurant and have a meal with them. The other priest said I should be pleasant and treat them like a human being, though I don't have to give them anything. He said "How rotten must their lives be that they would stand out there, regardless of what they do with the money?" He had a point. People addicted to drug or alcohol are not happy or well people. Anger isn't the proper response.

One time I did as the first priest instructed. The very next day after I talked to him, I was sitting in the parking lot at Lowe's looking at my phone. A woman tapped on my window and asked for money for something to eat. I thought it was divine providence. So I offered to go into the Kroger's and get her some fruit and bread and such. But that wasn't what she had in mind. She wanted to eat at the Sonic across the way. So I said fine and let her order. She got a meal deal with fries and a drink. I bristled at what I considered a junk meal, but went with it. I paid $8.64. Trying to make conversation, I asked her name. She refused to tell me. We talked a little bit about her circumstance. Everyone in her life was a f*cking asshole by her account. At the end, she asked for money. I declined. She thanked me for the meal and went on her way .

Pope Francis when asked the question, said he would not only talk to a beggar kindly, he would give them money. He said "So what if the person wants to buy a glass of wine. Who among us doesn't have a guilty pleasure?" I don't see it that way. I see it as enabling an addiction. I was talking to a woman who works in the ABC stores. She said she'll see these guys who were out panhandling come in with stacks of bills to buy liquor. Homeless professionals advise people to NOT give beggars money, that you can give them vouchers for the local shelter. It is a fact that most homeless are not beggars, and most beggars are not homeless.

So how did I feel after my encounter with the woman at Lowe's? Ambivalent. I felt sort of good, but also sort of like a sucker. Probably more the latter. I definitely didn't like getting her a junk meal, but I guess that wasn't the point. I liked that she seemed appreciative, and may it did help her a little. But I decided I probably would do it again if given the same circumstance, at least not in the same way.

I have softened recently, when I considered the plight of a neighbor girl my daughter's age who fell into drugs. Nice family, good neighborhood. But she just went bad. Now they don't know where she lives. She has a child her parents have adopted and take care of. What if it was this neighbor girl whom I've know since she was six who I saw pandhandling on the street corner? I wouldn't be angry then. I would feel compassion and sorrow. I'd ask her if she needed anything or to be driven somewhere. But I wouldn't give her any money.

Any thoughts about this topic?
If you give someone something out of the kindness of your heart, you’ve done a good deed. What the recipient of your good deed does with it is on them. If he uses it for booze or drugs, it doesn’t diminish your action.

So you‘re prioritizing Muslims over others, even if the money you gave went toward terrorism?

To answer OP’s question, I ignore them - and yes, they are all over the place. They often have children in tow, and even a baby in a stroller, which I suspect they’ve “borrowed” in order to get more people to fork over.

I have to wonder about these “mothers” I see, who are in the Target and Walmart parking lot, next to the help-wanted at $17 and hour. We give them rent-subsidized housing, food stamps, Medicaid, free this, free that. Why are they also begging?

How do you know so much about the women's privates lives?

Most welfare programs are administered by black left wing 'social workers', so guess who gets left out when the funds get distributed. Women and children also get first dibs, white males last, and funds in most states yearly budgets usually run out by May at the latest every year even for many of the 'privileged'. Many kids survive on grandma and granpa's limited Social Security pensions, too.
That's why there are so many black 'baby daddies' that impregnate 'baby mommas' to get more government money. Black males in the hood may have many baby mommas.

Forum List

Back