Jan 8, 2019
Cancer. Los Angeles.

More to come...

Baltimore Orioles Hall of Famer Frank Robinson has died

Updated: 5:17 PM EST Feb 7, 2019

Pete Gilbert
Sports Anchor/Reporter

BALTIMORE —
Baltimore Orioles Hall of Famer Frank Robinson has died at the age of 83.

In every one of the 586 home runs by Robinson, fans knew they saw something special.

In 1966, he won a triple crown and a World Series -- his first year in Baltimore after coming over in arguably the best trade in Orioles history. Just a month into his Oriole career, he belted the first home run ever to leave Memorial Stadium, a blast commemorated with a flag that simply said, "HERE."

Robinson took 14 trips to the All-Star Game, helped win two World Series with the O's and played 21 years in Major League Baseball. He's the only player to win the MVP award in both the American and National League. His number, 20, is retired by Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati.

He moved to managing after leaving the outfield -- the first African-American to manage a big-league ball club in history. In his first at-bat as a player-manager for Cleveland, Robinson made the ultimate impression but hitting a home run.

In the dugout, Robinson spent 16 more seasons with four teams. He holds part of the dubious accomplishment of starting a season with 21 consecutive losses in 1988. Robinson bounced back the next season, winning the manager of the year award with the "Why Not" Orioles of 1989.

At age 70, when most people spend some of their retirement time watching ballgames, Robinson continued to manage. After five seasons with the Montreal Expos, who became the Washington Nationals, Robinson continued to serve the game of baseball in the commissioner's office. Robinson became an honorary president of the American League in 2015.

Robinson finished his professional career with 586 home runs and just 57 hits shy of 3,000. He likely needed two trophy rooms for all of the accomplishments he earned playing this game.

The ultimate team player, Robinson breathed baseball his entire life. Even though his time on Earth has passed, no one will ever forget his imprint on the national pastime. An Oriole great. A baseball legend. Frank Robinson dead, at the age of 83.

Eddie Murray released a statement, saying: "I was saddened to hear that Frank Robinson passed away today. He was a great player. As an African-American youth, I looked up to Frank and Jackie Robinson. My thoughts are with the Robinson family."

Brooks Robinson released a statement, saying: "Frank Robinson was an amazing player and a great friend. When he came to the Orioles in 1966, it put us over the top. He was the best player I ever played with.

"More importantly, I am grateful that Frank and I were great friends. I spoke with him as he battled this cancer. He was in good spirits a few days ago and he wanted to be home with his wife, Barbara, and daughter, Nichelle. Connie and I will miss him dearly and we are both deeply saddened by his death."

More at link.

Redirect Notice

Last edited:
Cancer. Los Angeles.

More to come...

Pete Gilbert
Sports Anchor/Reporter

BALTIMORE —

In every one of the 586 home runs by Robinson, fans knew they saw something special.

In 1966, he won a triple crown and a World Series -- his first year in Baltimore after coming over in arguably the best trade in Orioles history. Just a month into his Oriole career, he belted the first home run ever to leave Memorial Stadium, a blast commemorated with a flag that simply said, "HERE."

Robinson took 14 trips to the All-Star Game, helped win two World Series with the O's and played 21 years in Major League Baseball. He's the only player to win the MVP award in both the American and National League. His number, 20, is retired by Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati.

He moved to managing after leaving the outfield -- the first African-American to manage a big-league ball club in history. In his first at-bat as a player-manager for Cleveland, Robinson made the ultimate impression but hitting a home run.

In the dugout, Robinson spent 16 more seasons with four teams. He holds part of the dubious accomplishment of starting a season with 21 consecutive losses in 1988. Robinson bounced back the next season, winning the manager of the year award with the "Why Not" Orioles of 1989.

At age 70, when most people spend some of their retirement time watching ballgames, Robinson continued to manage. After five seasons with the Montreal Expos, who became the Washington Nationals, Robinson continued to serve the game of baseball in the commissioner's office. Robinson became an honorary president of the American League in 2015.

Robinson finished his professional career with 586 home runs and just 57 hits shy of 3,000. He likely needed two trophy rooms for all of the accomplishments he earned playing this game.

The ultimate team player, Robinson breathed baseball his entire life. Even though his time on Earth has passed, no one will ever forget his imprint on the national pastime. An Oriole great. A baseball legend. Frank Robinson dead, at the age of 83.

Eddie Murray released a statement, saying: "I was saddened to hear that Frank Robinson passed away today. He was a great player. As an African-American youth, I looked up to Frank and Jackie Robinson. My thoughts are with the Robinson family."

Brooks Robinson released a statement, saying: "Frank Robinson was an amazing player and a great friend. When he came to the Orioles in 1966, it put us over the top. He was the best player I ever played with.

"More importantly, I am grateful that Frank and I were great friends. I spoke with him as he battled this cancer. He was in good spirits a few days ago and he wanted to be home with his wife, Barbara, and daughter, Nichelle. Connie and I will miss him dearly and we are both deeply saddened by his death."

More at link.

Redirect Notice

First at bat as an Angel he sent over the wall on the first pitch.

He was one GREAT baseball player.

When I think of a competitor I would want on my side and not at all look forward to facing as an opponent, it was Frank Robinson.

Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, baseball pioneer and first black manager, dies at 83

BOB NIGHTENGALE, STEVE GARDNER | USA TODAY

Updated 2 hours ago

Frank Robinson was royalty, a legend in the world of baseball. Despite his tremendous accomplishments on and off the field, it was as if his monumental role in baseball history had been forgotten.

Maybe now, people will pay attention and realize that Frank Robinson was one of the most impactful figures in baseball history.

Robinson, a first-ballot Hall of Fame player who became the first African-American manager in baseball, died Thursday at the age of 83, according to Major League Baseball.

Robinson, who had been in hospice in Southern California for several months, was able to say farewell to many of his friends and family before his death.

More at link.

Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, baseball pioneer and first black manager, dies at 83

Cancer. Los Angeles.

More to come...

Pete Gilbert
Sports Anchor/Reporter

BALTIMORE —

More at link.

Redirect Notice

When I think of a competitor I would want on my side and not at all look forward to facing as an opponent, it was Frank Robinson.

Updated 2 hours ago

Frank Robinson was royalty, a legend in the world of baseball. Despite his tremendous accomplishments on and off the field, it was as if his monumental role in baseball history had been forgotten.

Maybe now, people will pay attention and realize that Frank Robinson was one of the most impactful figures in baseball history.

Robinson, a first-ballot Hall of Fame player who became the first African-American manager in baseball, died Thursday at the age of 83, according to Major League Baseball.

Robinson, who had been in hospice in Southern California for several months, was able to say farewell to many of his friends and family before his death.

More at link.

I’ve got an audio of Dick Enberg calling Robinson’s first Halo homerun, sends chills down your spine.

Cancer. Los Angeles.

More to come...

Pete Gilbert
Sports Anchor/Reporter

BALTIMORE —

More at link.

Redirect Notice

Updated 2 hours ago

More at link.

I’ve got an audio of Dick Enberg calling Robinson’s first Halo homerun, sends chills down your spine.

I am surprised at my own reaction to news of his passing.

Sporadic, uncontrollable tears welling up in my eyes.

To me he was THE ultimate. The IDEAL of what a baseball player should be.

Damn.

There it goes again.

I gotta go think of something else.

RIP Frank.

Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Cal Ripken and Eddie Murray. The greatest Orioles.

Forum List

Back