Barney Frank and Inheritance Tax: Hypocricy On Display

Were you dropped on your head as a baby? No, seriously, were you? My father-in-law gave my son his father's (f-i-l's dad and my sons great grandfather) shotgun. It was a family posession handed down from generation to generation. Should my son have been taxed by the government for this family gift? It doesn't matter if it is a gun, a family picture album, a doily, your old man's fishnet stocking leg lamp or his monetary fortune. You posess it and it is yours to do what you choose with it. Why the fuck should the government be entitled to take a portion of my hard earned wealth I want to pass to my son so they can give it to some crack whore mother so she can have things she didn't work for. Hell, if she wants some of my money, she can come ask for a handout. I'm a very charitable person. But I decide how and where my money goes. I don't need the gubmint being the middle man. If you decided you need a piece of my financial pie and went about coming in my house to confiscate it for yourself, I'd be justified in a court of law for putting a nice grouping in your chest to stop you. Why should the gubmint be able to do by force what citizens are not allowed to by gubmint law?

Get it thru your head. A person's possessions belongs to them and they can do with it what they will and can give it to whoever they choose. You are not entitled to it if they don't want you to have it and the gubmint shouldn't be able to take it by force and give it to you. If they do.......what are you going to give in return?

gifting and estate taxes are separate issues. and since the gun falls under the limit, its not taxed anyway. try again......

also, if you wanted to legally pass on your estate and it was over the $5M threshold, go hire and lawyer and he will be able to limit the estate taxes. stop making excuses.

Making excuses? Wouldn't that be you thinking the government is entitled to part of a person's estate? You've never explained why the government has a right to it other than they can make rules and enforce them at gunpoint. Why is the government entitled to it? You've never answered that. This is income that was taxed when it was earned that has been passed to a family member......no different than some other possession. Why is the government entitled to it other than it is easy pickings and they can send people to your house with guns to get it?

all income is taxed multiple times. every time it changes hands it is taxed again. your taxed on your income, then again on the sales, then again on property, then again and again. its the same as you winning the lottery, its free money to the person who receives it. an estate also doesnt necessarily have to be passed on to a family member. should your neighbor or friend get it tax free as well? whats the difference there?

gifting and estate taxes are separate issues. and since the gun falls under the limit, its not taxed anyway. try again......

also, if you wanted to legally pass on your estate and it was over the $5M threshold, go hire and lawyer and he will be able to limit the estate taxes. stop making excuses.

Making excuses? Wouldn't that be you thinking the government is entitled to part of a person's estate? You've never explained why the government has a right to it other than they can make rules and enforce them at gunpoint. Why is the government entitled to it? You've never answered that. This is income that was taxed when it was earned that has been passed to a family member......no different than some other possession. Why is the government entitled to it other than it is easy pickings and they can send people to your house with guns to get it?

all income is taxed multiple times. every time it changes hands it is taxed again. your taxed on your income, then again on the sales, then again on property, then again and again. its the same as you winning the lottery, its free money to the person who receives it. an estate also doesnt necessarily have to be passed on to a family member. should your neighbor or friend get it tax free as well? whats the difference there?

Not by the same entity. Yes, I pay federal and state taxes on each pay check. When I go to the grocery store with the money I earned that the government actually allows me to keep, I pay a LOCAL sales tax. My property taxes are to the COUNTY. Now, if I were being taxed on my income by the feds and then paying a federal tax at the gorcery store, you might have an argument. The federal government already got a piece of the action each time I get paid. If I choose to give money to my son, they are not entitled to retax what they already taxed.

No you're not right, you say every time money changes hands it gets taxed, but you fail to recognize that money earned and that has been taxed will be taxed a second time upon death per the estate tax. Your comparing money that has been earned, taxed, spent thus being earned by another party, taxed and spent again etc etc... not the same as the estate tax at all.

You fail!

And THAT is the debate being had. The 35% on amounts over $5M is the compromise, and frankly, it's a compromise that's slanted incredibly far to the right. But it just ain't good enough is it? No no, we need *NO* estate tax at all.

Tough shit. We live in a society where everyone gets a voice, and this is the current policy. Chances are it will move more to the middle over time.

And stop worrying about it... Nobody believes you're worth $5M so give it up, man!

You know, you're right. Everyone in our society gets a voice. What they shouldn't get, is access to my checkbook by government force. Fuck them! Go earn your own damn living.

It's not your money anymore when you die. In fact the royal "You" ain't anymore after you die. Your wealth is transferred elsewhere. And when wealth is transferred, Uncle Sam gets his cut.

Sorry dude. Rwanda. No estate tax. I'll help ya pack.

well internet access is a pay service so you can try to limit my usage, but it wont work.
now if an heir to a business actually works at the business, then it can be passed on to them without much tax consequence. all you need to do is hire a lawyer and go through the proper channels and paperwork.
but many heirs did not actually do anything to deserve the $ other than being born. lets look at the Hilton sisters. no jobs at the hotel, no college education, nothing but being born a hilton. do they deserve have the family business? what about actors children? or politicans children? or musicians children? they obviously had no hand in creating the family wealth, yet the benefit for the simple reason of being born into that family.

i dont have any dog in the fight. especially since any estates i stand to inherit will fall well below the estate tax threshold. plus my family has basically said they are gonna spend everything "they" earned before they die. which i said more power to them. i didnt feel entitled to their money because im their child. its their money, i didnt do anything to help them earn it.

But what if it were above the threshold and they want to give it to you? Why would you feel the government is entitled to a portion of what your parents earned and paid taxes on?

if it were above the threshold, i would be intelligent enough to retain a lawyer and explore the most economical ways to have the estate passed on. there are many legal avenues to limit the estate tax. and since they are not taxing my parents, and this is new money to me, then it has the right to be taxed. im not championing the idea that i like taxes, but with it being new income to my person, it should be subject to taxes.

you got me...I am speechless.good luck in life.

And THAT is the debate being had. The 35% on amounts over $5M is the compromise, and frankly, it's a compromise that's slanted incredibly far to the right. But it just ain't good enough is it? No no, we need *NO* estate tax at all.

Tough shit. We live in a society where everyone gets a voice, and this is the current policy. Chances are it will move more to the middle over time.

And stop worrying about it... Nobody believes you're worth $5M so give it up, man!

You know, you're right. Everyone in our society gets a voice. What they shouldn't get, is access to my checkbook by government force. Fuck them! Go earn your own damn living.

It's not your money anymore when you die. In fact the royal "You" ain't anymore after you die. Your wealth is transferred elsewhere. And when wealth is transferred, Uncle Sam gets his cut.

where does it say that, exactly? :eusa_eh:

One can alway's choose to go into a life of crime, Prostitution, Smuggling, Drugs, Larceny, Counter-fitting, Embezzlement, Fraud, work on the level of experience, if you really want to go all out, apply it to becoming a Lawyer, Judge, Politician, Union Boss, or Community Organizer. I hear those skills translate real well into a career in Government.

Not by the same entity. Yes, I pay federal and state taxes on each pay check. When I go to the grocery store with the money I earned that the government actually allows me to keep, I pay a LOCAL sales tax. My property taxes are to the COUNTY. Now, if I were being taxed on my income by the feds and then paying a federal tax at the gorcery store, you might have an argument. The federal government already got a piece of the action each time I get paid. If I choose to give money to my son, they are not entitled to retax what they already taxed.

So I take it you do not live in a state or community that has an income or payroll tax?
Many communities have a payroll tax for the priveledge of working in their community whether you live in the community or not.

so the state taxes you on your income and then again with a sales tax when you spend it.

Last edited:

So I take it you do not live in a state or community that has an income or payroll tax?
Many communities have a payroll tax for the priveledge of working in their community whether you live in the community or not.

so the state taxes you on your income and then again with a sales tax when you spend it.

It is not that the tax exists, it is what is done with what is levied, it is about consent, it is about acting responsibly with a trust. What is Governments primary function again Citizen??? What are It's Powers? What are the Limits to those Powers? What is it's obligation in relation to transparency? Disclosure? Rule Of Law? Should the Government account for what it takes? for what it spends? For Hypocrisy?

And guess how many businesses choose to invest capital in buildings, infrastructure and such in those communities.
We run like a bat out of hell when a municipality initiates taxes like that.
Lower taxes means businesses are going there.

It is not that the tax exists, it is what is done with what is levied, it is about consent, it is about acting responsibly with a trust. What is Governments primary function again Citizen??? What are It's Powers? What are the Limits to those Powers? What is it's obligation in relation to transparency? Disclosure? Rule Of Law? Should the Government account for what it takes? for what it spends? For Hypocrisy?

What is the governments primary function?

Well one of the first acts of the new american govt was to levy the whiskey tax which must be paid in specie at a time when much of frontier america existed primarially on barter.
Washington led a group group of soldiers larger than at any revoloutionary war battle into western PA to enforce the collection of the tax.

Think about it.

And guess how many businesses choose to invest capital in buildings, infrastructure and such in those communities.

Ohh they give the businesses all kinds of tax free incentives even loans that do not have to be repaid to locate there.
And then collect the payroll tax off of the workers. The businesses do not pay the payroll tax the workers do.

Define "It."

The authority to tax flows from the constitution, Article 1 section 8. Corresponding law specific to the estate tax can be found in the federal register.

If you're asking where 'it' says that when you die, it's not your money anymore... I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm not sure 'it' says it anywhere; that's just the way it is. A dead man doesn't own anything.

Well one of the first acts of the new american govt was to levy the whiskey tax which must be paid in specie at a time when much of frontier america existed primarially on barter.
Washington led a group group of soldiers larger than at any revoloutionary war battle into western PA to enforce the collection of the tax.

Think about it.

That was a Hamilton Scheme of unfair Taxation designed to benefit larger manufacturers and shut down Independents. Hamilton also ran Bond scams, where he misrepresented the value of the bonds convincing many to sell for pennies on the dollar. Is this the kind of leadership you want? May I suggest a Good read? ... Well I will anyway. ;) "Reclaiming The American Revolution".

Think about it.

That was a Hamilton Scheme of unfair Taxation designed to benefit larger manufacturers and shut down Independents. Hamilton also ran Bond scams, where he misrepresented the value of the bonds convincing many to sell for pennies on the dollar. Is this the kind of leadership you want? May I suggest a Good read? ... Well I will anyway. ;) "Reclaiming The American Revolution".

ahh yes my point is that the USA has been hosed from the very beginning.
There is no good ol founding fathers days.

Ohh they give the businesses all kinds of tax free incentives even loans that do not have to be repaid to locate there.
And then collect the payroll tax off of the workers. The businesses do not pay the payroll tax the workers do.

The Employee's and the Customer's pay, every time. Let us know when that sinks in? We wait with baited breath. ;) :lol:

You didn't pay attention to what I said. I live in Oklahoma and we have a STATE income tax. When I buy groceries, I pay LOCAL (CITY) taxes. My property taxes are a COUNTY tax. The state gets theirs off the top out of my income. The city and the city alone gets a cut when I buy someting in a store. The state doesn't get a piece of that action. They already got theirs when they taxed my income.

Define "It."

The authority to tax flows from the constitution, Article 1 section 8. Corresponding law specific to the estate tax can be found in the federal register.

If you're asking where 'it' says that when you die, it's not your money anymore... I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm not sure 'it' says it anywhere; that's just the way it is. A dead man doesn't own anything.

That's right.........because upon his death he bequeathed it to his family. Where in the constitution does it say that when you die, the government is entitled to your wealth? If you had no living relatives and you had no will directing a charity or something to leave your wealth to, I could see the government taking it. But if you direct for your wealth to remain within your family, there is no logical reason for the government to demand a piece of it other than they can take it by force.

Define "It."

That's right.........because upon his death he bequeathed it to his family. Where in the constitution does it say that when you die, the government is entitled to your wealth? If you had no living relatives and you had no will directing a charity or something to leave your wealth to, I could see the government taking it. But if you direct for your wealth to remain within your family, there is no logical reason for the government to demand a piece of it other than they can take it by force.

An income tax is not mentioned by name in the Constitution, either. Neither is the Air Force or the Department of Homeland Security. Something does not need to be mentioned by name in order to be constitutionally compliant. With regards to the government being entitled to a percentage of certain estates upon death, that can be found in the federal register as I stated.

Define "It."

An income tax is not mentioned by name in the Constitution, either. Neither is the Air Force or the Department of Homeland Security. Something does not need to be mentioned by name in order to be constitutionally compliant. With regards to the government being entitled to a percentage of certain estates upon death, that can be found in the federal register as I stated.

Dude, the government is entitled to whatever they say they are entitled to. They have guys with guns to enforce it. Doesn't make it right.

Define "It."

Constitutionally Compliant is exactly what the Supreme Court says it is, no more, no less, and only until the Court revises it. That is our system, not original Intent, but Constructive Interpretation and Law. Kind of arbitrary, with no means to challenge the Court.

Forum List

Back