Bad at art, but like to sketch anyway?

Confederate Soldier

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2021
Southerner trapped in a yankee state
I'll admit it. I am no artist. I sketch and doodle, and tat's about it. You won't see me doing complicated portraits, or lifelike still lifes or anything like that. Most of the time I sketch/draw if I'm hunting and I'm staying out all day. Nothing serious, very loose. I just felt like posting some of my recent sketches for shits and giggles.

20210915_200151_HDR_2.jpg

Highly stylized graffiti of the word, "Rust". Pen and red pencil.

The three below are pen drawings.

20210915_203522_HDR_2 (1).jpg

Yes, Korn fans, I know. The R isn't backwards. I had three Angry Orchard Ciders when I sketched this and I wasn't paying much attention. Hell, I'm surprised I was able to hit the paper.

20210915_203505_HDR_2.jpg

A rough sketch of a girl that I am head over heels for. Her hair is longer now.

20210915_203450_HDR_2.jpg

I like delving into the dark stuff, the stuff my parents would freak out about. This includes sword weilding goatmen, gory, bloody images and yes, satanic clowns. I really am a nice chap I tell you. :D

scan0008.jpg

Pencil sketch of a WWII German helmet lying in rubble.

I have more that I have to dig out.

I've tried for YEARS to do people. I can't draw a hand to save my life.

I just can't get the proportions right.
I can draw animals like they are live, right there on the page.
I can draw buildings, landscapes, vehicles, food................

Just CANNOT draw people!!

The really, REALLY ignorant thing is.....................I CAN draw a statue OF a person!!! LMAO

Try the grid method. If you do it several times. . . soon, you will learn to really LOOK at the figures, hands, faces anything, and proportions, rather than having your brain put in what you believe are the proportions, you will really see them.

Your work on that helmet shows that you KNOW how to see what is actually there. . . but, when you do something like a hand, or a figure, you are not doing that. . the abstraction of what a hand or a face, or body is, or what you believe it to be, that takes over in your mind's eye.

A hand is as long as a face, and nearly as wide . . . most folks forget that. Put your hand on your face. The bottom of your hand on your chin, your top middle finger should nearly go to the top of your forehead.

Remember that, you will do fine.

I'll admit it. I am no artist. I sketch and doodle, and tat's about it. You won't see me doing complicated portraits, or lifelike still lifes or anything like that. Most of the time I sketch/draw if I'm hunting and I'm staying out all day. Nothing serious, very loose. I just felt like posting some of my recent sketches for shits and giggles.

View attachment 539790

View attachment 539795

Yes, Korn fans, I know. The R isn't backwards. I had three Angry Orchard Ciders when I sketched this and I wasn't paying much attention. Hell, I'm surprised I was able to hit the paper.

View attachment 539796

View attachment 539797

I like delving into the dark stuff, the stuff my parents would freak out about. This includes sword weilding goatmen, gory, bloody images and yes, satanic clowns. I really am a nice chap I tell you. :D

View attachment 539792

Very nice, Confederate soldier. And Gracie does amazing artwork in several mediae. Her thumbs up tells me you got what it takes. I especially liked "Rust," as I love warm colors. Your crosshatch work is an interesting skill, and the lovely realistic looking German hat is awfully special. Thank you for sharing your gifted artwork. ☆☆☆☆

Sure you can. Think circles next time you take a shot at hands. You might try some modeling clay and sculpt before you draw. Either way a little practice makes perfect. My money's on you equalling Drurer's famous praying hands work. ;)

View attachment 539790

View attachment 539795

View attachment 539796

View attachment 539797

View attachment 539792

That's pretty damned awesome! :beer:

Very beautiful woman. In my youth I drew a lot of women, so the only thing I draw well is women's faces and bodies :)

The first drawing can be viewed from the point of view of psychology, like the Rorschach test. This is possibly an image of the collective unconscious: the defeated many-headed serpent.

6138e8abb95595622c9622b058841470.jpg

Forum List

Back