Baby, it's cold outside when you shoot off at the mouth without knowing your shit.

Oh my god, I'm a woman! That means I'm a victim of existence! I'm so weak and pathetic everyone should be easily outraged for no other reason than to prove that they don't hate me, even if they have to hate me in the process! Someone please save me from everything!

Better yet, all the whiny jackasses should shut their fucking mouths before they make fools out of themselves by doing something insanely stupid like--oh, I don't know--calling for a ban on a women's empowerment message like the song Baby It's Cold Outside.

This holiday classic has become a classic example of morons who love to be outraged but can't be bothered to be informed. Insisting that it's a rapey fantasy of them evil peoples with the penises women love stuffing in their vaginas (but love to hate all at the same time), many people have been going out of their damn minds over the lyrics to this song, which has recently led some radio stations to ban it from their airwaves. But these morons need to pull their heads out of their asses and learn to listen in the context of 80 year old cultural norms.

Baby It's Cold Outside isn't about date rape, it's about women's empowerment. Back in those days society had different standards for women when it came to sexual freedom. It was okay for men to have all the sex they wanted outside of marriage. Even cheating on your wife was treated rather generously. The belief was that it was just a man being a man. But women weren't supposed to want sex, and they weren't supposed to enjoy sex beyond the satisfaction of making your man happy. Women were judged harshly for having sexual desires. It was entirely unfair, but that's the bullshit belief of society in those days.

In this song what we have is a woman who is on a date with her boyfriend, who wants to stay the night and have some sexy time, but is under extreme social pressure to go home where she still lives with mommy and daddy--to be a good little virgin. If she stays, she'll be made into a social pariah, and nobody wants that. But she also wants to live her life. If only she had an excuse to stay the night....

And that is where the scene from the song begins. She's supposed to leave. She talks about how people will whisper and talk and assume things if she stays. She wants to stay. She just needs to find some plausible deniability. And because her boyfriend is such a gentleman and doesn't want to expose her to unfair social stigma he helps her to find that reason: Baby, it's cold outside.

They talk it out, and even while she worries about how other people will react, she keeps finding excuses to stay. One more cigarette, one more drink.

Which brings us to a key lyric in the song. Say, what's in this drink? It's lost something in translation in the modern time. But back when the song was written, it was a common joke, found in movies and common banter. A person would do or say something frowned upon, and immediately say "What's in this drink?" (or "cup" or some other equivalent statement), as a way to create an excuse for what they've just done (the implication being that they were unwittingly drinking alcohol, and that was to blame). It's not a roofie! It's an old joke of the time. It's another way the woman in the song is looking for an excuse!

In the end, the woman tells society "Fuck you, fuck that, I want to fuck him, and that's what I'm going to do!"

So let's stop with the manufactured outrage. Baby It's Cold Outside is a great song about women doing what they want with their own bodies. And any crybaby liberals who can't see that need to go fuck themselves!

Meh, better things to get pissed about.

Forum List

Back