Auto repair insurance?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Carshield is a high profile auto repair insurance, it keeps your repair costs down for a monthly premium like an insurance.

What others do you know to be good? And what if for a high mileage car?

Thanks

Carshield is a high profile auto repair insurance, it keeps your repair costs down for a monthly premium like an insurance.

Thanks
They are a reputable company. I would say the cost is worth it especially if you've had bad luck with cars, or are clueless mechanically. There are a few options to pick from. Best thing to do before buying a car is research the same exact year and exact model. You'll know what major headaches could be in store. Or if it will nickel and dime you to death. Now mind you most people beat the fuck out of their cars too so a lot of complaints are self made.

There will probably be limited coverage the first 90 days obviously.

Thanks

I never had such a policy. When I've had old cars- most of the time- I usually just take the vehicle down to a local garage where I know the guys and it usually works out fine. No monthly cost, and local fellows will discount you if you pay with the coin of the realm. I used to go to a place back in the 90's, where the fellows had a harder time dealing with the credit card machine than with fixing cars. I can't imagine a 3rd party payment being that easy for them.

It's just another extortion scam.

I don't understand the appeal of this , really. If you own an old car, its paid off and you have no car payment and no collision/comprehensive policy on it either. That's the least expensive ride you'll ever have.

If you need a water pump or some other expensive part, how much will it cost you? $400? Maybe twice that? Like one or two car payments? Why deal with monthly repair insurance, just take it as it comes.

The reason why they are grotesquely profitable is because they cover the stuff that NEVER FAILS (internal engine parts, etc), and excludes the things that do fail - suspension components, brakes, exhaust system, electrics.

Like all insurance it is literally a gamble. You bet that you will have a very unlikely, costly failure, and they bet that your problems will be the stuff that they have excluded.

Statistically speaking they are likely to be a bad deal for you.

If you own an old car, its paid off and you have no car payment and no collision/comprehensive policy on it either. That's the least expensive ride you'll ever have.
If you need a water pump or some other expensive part, how much will it cost you? $400? Maybe twice that? Like one or two car payments? Why deal with monthly repair insurance, just take it as it comes.
This is the way wealthy people think^^^

My Jeep dealer had lifetime on powertrain that came with purchase of vehicle. Sure enough at 150K the lifters froze in cylinder three and destroyed the Cam shaft. They replaced the engine at no cost to me. That effectively ended the lifetime as when repairs reach value of vehicle the warranty expires. Saved my ass though while I still had a few payments left. The repair added to 11 grand.
If a dealer offers a lifetime or what some call a million mile warranty, it really isn't BS.
Now paid off with a fresh Hemi. Think I will roll it a while longer now.

I never buy Car repair insurance, better to buy a better car with a good repair reputation history of the car.

Right now I can save the full $225 repair bill by replacing all 6 spark plugs by myself. It misfires a lot now.

If you own an old car, its paid off and you have no car payment and no collision/comprehensive policy on it either. That's the least expensive ride you'll ever have.
This is the way wealthy people think^^^

Water pump doesn't cost that much and you can replace it yourself.

I remember buying the 1995 Ford F250 460cu, in the office with the broker writing up the sales agreement, he suggested that I add auto repair insurance onto it, I said no, he was surprised tried for a full 5 minutes to get me to accept it, finally in exasperation said the Truck must be a pile of junk and YOU lack confidence in your brand name, maybe I should leave immediately..... he quickly shuts up and finished the write up.

I still have it today, all paid off.

Great answers everyone. It is expensive. For the mechanically clueless or people who have bad luck, the value is there. If you know about cars and what is going on, it is not

Again always research the exact model to see the weak spots.

My mechanical insurance policy is the best money one can buy. Bombs cannot even destroy my policy.

My Policy is a 1981 Oldsmobile Sherman Tank. This car rides as smooth as a strippers ass. I open the hood and can name every single part.

DSCN1409.JPG
DSCN1410.JPG
DSCN1411.JPG
DSCN1412.JPG

Believe it or not, she gets near 19mpg city and around 27 on the highway. No need to squish yourself in a Rice Burner and need a chiropractor.

And it is basically a hotel room in the back.

Thanks
/—-/ I found the deductibles, exclusions and hassles to outweigh any benefits. I haven’t had one in years. I bite the bullet and pay out of pocket.

What others do you know to be good? And what if for a high mileage car? Since I only drive convertibles, mine was half the price of the Lexus drop top, beautiful car though.

Thanks
My repair insurance is buying a Lexus.
/—-/ My Volvos are very reliable as long as I maintain them, which I do.

Forum List

Back