Australian PM Tony Abbott ousted by Malcolm Turnbull

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
This is big news for australia. Good to know Malcolm is more reasonable then Tony.
Australian PM Tony Abbott ousted by Malcolm Turnbull - BBC News
Australia is to have a new prime minister after Tony Abbott was ousted as leader of the centre-right Liberal Party by Malcolm Turnbull.

In the dramatic late night party leadership ballot, Mr Abbott, who had been plagued by poor opinion polls, received 44 votes to Mr Turnbull's 54.

Mr Turnbull said he assumed that parliament would serve its full term, implying no snap general election.

The new leader will be Australia's fourth prime minister since 2013.

_85539200_4a187ed2-d377-45c1-9052-1f87a9f29d02.jpg
Image copyrightAP
Image captionTony Abbott (centre) lost the ballot of Liberal MPs at Canberra's Parliament House
How it all went wrong for Tony Abbott

#PutOutYourOnions for Tony Abbott

The prime minister-elect is expected to be sworn in after Mr Abbott writes to Australia's governor general and resigns.

Earlier on Monday Mr Abbott had dismissed rumours of a leadership challengeas "Canberra gossip" - only to be voted out by his fellow Liberal MPs.

They also voted for Foreign Minister Julie Bishop to remain deputy leader of the party.

Speaking after the result was announced, Mr Turnbull praised his predecessor for his "formidable achievements" as prime minister.

The new party leader said Australia needed to have "the economic vision, a leadership, that explains the great challenges and opportunities we face".

He said he would lead "a thoroughly Liberal government, committed to freedom, the individual and the market".

Who is Malcolm Turnbull?

• Served as Minister for Communications under Mr Abbott, before resigning to launch a leadership challenge
  • Many in his party dislike his support for climate change action and gay marriage
  • Led the Liberal Party in opposition from 2008-2009 - but lost a leadership challenge to Mr Abbott by one vote
  • Previously worked as a successful lawyer and businessman - defending former British spy Peter Wright in the "Spycatcher" case in the 1980s

The hard righties don't like Turnbull as he's more of a leftie than a rightie.

There are not many tears being shed for Tony right now. Most of us are glad to be rid of him. He's been a disaster.

The hard righties don't like Turnbull as he's more of a leftie than a rightie.

There are not many tears being shed for Tony right now. Most of us are glad to be rid of him. He's been a disaster.
Sounds like good news for australia, yeah, most Australians on reddit hated tony.

shall USA learn a thing or two from OZ?

hope so

it can be done ...kick the Muslim in the White House out.

kick the Muslim out! of the White House

kick Hussein out!

This is big news for australia. Good to know Malcolm is more reasonable then Tony.
Australian PM Tony Abbott ousted by Malcolm Turnbull - BBC News
Australia is to have a new prime minister after Tony Abbott was ousted as leader of the centre-right Liberal Party by Malcolm Turnbull.

In the dramatic late night party leadership ballot, Mr Abbott, who had been plagued by poor opinion polls, received 44 votes to Mr Turnbull's 54.

Mr Turnbull said he assumed that parliament would serve its full term, implying no snap general election.

The new leader will be Australia's fourth prime minister since 2013.

_85539200_4a187ed2-d377-45c1-9052-1f87a9f29d02.jpg
Image copyrightAP
Image captionTony Abbott (centre) lost the ballot of Liberal MPs at Canberra's Parliament House
How it all went wrong for Tony Abbott

#PutOutYourOnions for Tony Abbott

The prime minister-elect is expected to be sworn in after Mr Abbott writes to Australia's governor general and resigns.

Earlier on Monday Mr Abbott had dismissed rumours of a leadership challengeas "Canberra gossip" - only to be voted out by his fellow Liberal MPs.

They also voted for Foreign Minister Julie Bishop to remain deputy leader of the party.

Speaking after the result was announced, Mr Turnbull praised his predecessor for his "formidable achievements" as prime minister.

The new party leader said Australia needed to have "the economic vision, a leadership, that explains the great challenges and opportunities we face".

He said he would lead "a thoroughly Liberal government, committed to freedom, the individual and the market".

Who is Malcolm Turnbull?

• Served as Minister for Communications under Mr Abbott, before resigning to launch a leadership challenge
  • Many in his party dislike his support for climate change action and gay marriage
  • Led the Liberal Party in opposition from 2008-2009 - but lost a leadership challenge to Mr Abbott by one vote
  • Previously worked as a successful lawyer and businessman - defending former British spy Peter Wright in the "Spycatcher" case in the 1980s
I was in Australia last year. I didn't think Abbot was going to last much longer. The people I talked to there couldn't stand him.

It is not the first time in recent years that a prime minister has been removed by a party room coup as Labour's Julia Gillard was by ousted by Rudd ahead of the 2013 in a bloodless coup. Australian politics can be brutal, which is a microcosm of Australian society as a whole, and I was roughed up a bit in Australia.

It is not the first time in recent years that a prime minister has been removed by a party room coup as Labour's Julia Gillard was by ousted by Rudd ahead of the 2013 in a bloodless coup. Australian politics can be brutal, which is a microcosm of Australian society as a whole, and I was roughed up a bit in Australia.

We are Great people but we suffer Fools Bullshitters and Liars badly...................hope you weren't roughed up too much..steve

Last edited:
And enjoy the wave of Muslim heathen coming your way, Australia. I guess you guys decided that your murder and rape rates were too low and that your welfare payouts weren't enough.

And enjoy the wave of Muslim heathen coming your way, Australia. I guess you guys decided that your murder and rape rates were too low and that your welfare payouts weren't enough.
Hi DICKHEAD,Wonderful Australia,the land of no discrimination.......Population of 22Million,has 390,000 Muslims another 12,000 will be Welcome like every Immigrant....after a few weeks they will not be referred to as Muslims but Australians..and therein lies the difference between Australia and the US.

You and your Rednecks are putting it mildly.....PIG IGNORANT,to reply to your post is below me/us

I detest narrow minded,ignorant Cnuts like you......come to Paradise and spoutoff you Racist Garbage and we will put you in Prison.....but like most KREEPS,like you are GUTLESS FILTH.

We don't need or want Shit like but Syrian Refugees,Muslim or otherwise.....Yep they'll do nicely

Australia SAYS NO TO GARBAGISTAS LIKE YOU......Got the Message DICKHEAD...NOW FCUK OFF

Hi DICKHEAD,Wonderful Australia,the land of no discrimination.......Population of 22Million,has 390,000 Muslims another 12,000 will be Welcome like every Immigrant....after a few weeks they will not be referred to as Muslims but Australians..and therein lies the difference between Australia and the US.

You and your Rednecks are putting it mildly.....PIG IGNORANT,to reply to your post is below me/us

I detest narrow minded,ignorant Cnuts like you......come to Paradise and spoutoff you Racist Garbage and we will put you in Prison.....but like most KREEPS,like you are GUTLESS FILTH.

We don't need or want Shit like but Syrian Refugees,Muslim or otherwise.....Yep they'll do nicely

Australia SAYS NO TO GARBAGISTAS LIKE YOU......Got the Message DICKHEAD...NOW FCUK OFF

Maybe, if you're insulting enough you won't see the blood on your hands. Now you "FCUK OFF"

And learn some f'ing grammar before you go around calling people rednecks for f's sake.

Maybe, if you're insulting enough you won't see the blood on your hands. Now you "FCUK OFF"

And learn some f'ing grammar before you go around calling people rednecks for f's sake.
Whatever you spew,NO ONE listens to you DICKHEAD because you are a Moron a Deadbeat........NOW FUCK YOURSELF..........and call me Sir..you are my inferior....of course you are and you know it

Last edited:
The good news about Malcolm is that he is a reasonable, intelligent, successful person who should not be defined by his views on gay marriage or the climate.

The problem with Abbott was that he rose above his capabilities and turned out to be somewhat of a disaster as a Prime Minister, with limited understanding and interests in the most important problems facing Australia.

The primary problem, is an economic one.

Abbott had no answers but Turnbull is placing top priority to reviving Australia's economy.

With his background he has a good chance of being successful.

Whatever you spew,NO ONE listens to you DICKHEAD because you are a Moron a Deadbeat........NOW FUCK YOURSELF..........and call me Sir..you are my inferior....of course you are and you know it

Oh, hell. Shut up already, spazz.

Forum List

Back