Australia parliament votes to take in sick refugees in historic defeat for government

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Australian parliament votes to take in sick refugees in historic defeat for government

The Australian parliament has passed a bill giving doctors greater say over medical transfers for refugees, the first time a government has lost a vote on its own legislation in the country for almost 80 years.

It means that doctors at Australia‘s processing centres on the Pacific islands of Nauru and Manus Island will be able to force through medical evacuations against the government’s wishes, as long as the patient meets a set of criteria.

Previously, the decision of whether to allow a medical transfer to the mainland was entirely at immigration officials’ discretion. The prime minister, Scott Morrison, said the bill would “take control from the government”, and “unleash a world of woe”.

This is great news. Australia takes a step forward.

I lived in Australia for 2 years as an LDS Missionary
Knocked on doors every day so I know the people well
I've always loved the Australians
Hate to see this done to their country. Putting people on generational welfare never works.

I lived in Australia for 2 years as an LDS Missionary
Knocked on doors every day so I know the people well
I've always loved the Australians
Hate to see this done to their country. Putting people on generational welfare never works.
So healing the sick is not a good thing ?

This shouldn’t even be an ‘issue.’

No, it shouldn't. You don't import people with communicable diseases into another population.....that is what you call "unethical." If you want to treat them with your tax dollars in their home country....go right ahead...but don't bring them to your own country and infect innocent people...

Forum List

Back