Australia more violent than the U.S...and they can't have guns....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
If you look at the overall numbers, Australia is by far more violent than the U.S...we have more murders per 100,000 but they have far more of everything else.....they really do have a rape problem....which would be a long way to being solved if they didn't disarm their women...

and if you don't like the way the numbers were computed...take it to extranosalley....

2013 Crime Rates US vs Australia Extrano s Alley a gun blog

Several people came by searching for some variant of “2013 crime rates us vs australia.

Like England, Oz makes searching their crime statistics frustrating in that the data is exquisitely detailed, poorly annotated, and missing key data.

In particular, the overall crime and homicide rate data is “sketchy.” Neither agrees with either media reports, nor with observers on the ground. From observers reports, it appears Oz’ murder rate is at least as high as the United States, and rising. However, the official number is the number I will go with.

That said, data on Australian crime rates are calculated from official data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics and estimated population numbers from Wikipedia.

United States data is taken from the FBI Uniform Crime Report for 2013.

And with that, and with the caution that the age discrepancies should be kept in mind; here is the data:

Obviously, by the Australian own numbers, disarmed Oz is a very violent country compared to the heavily armed United States. Yet less than 20 years ago, Australia was much less violent than the United States.

Strict gun laws have driven violent crime rates up – while relaxed laws have driven the American violent crime rates down. Far down.

Demonstrating once again that you can have any violent crime rate you want with appropriate gun laws. The more restrictive, the higher the rates.

Last edited:
New South Wales....

NEW SOUTH WALES
There was an 11% increase in the number of homicide victims in New South Wales, from 119 in 2012 to 132 in 2013. In New South Wales:
§ Almost two-thirds of homicide victims were male (64% or 85 victims);

§ Almost two-thirds of homicide victims (63% or 82 victims) knew the offender, with a partner being identified as the offender in one in five homicides (21% or 28 victims);

§ Murder victims accounted for two-thirds (67% or 88 victims) of all homicide victims;

§ The most common location in which murder occurred was a residential location (68% or 59 victims); and

§ Of weapons used in murder, the most common was a knife (56% or 49 victims) followed by a firearm (31% or 27 victims).

It pays to dig much deeper than some gun nut's blog.
From the real source::

4510.0 - Recorded Crime - Victims Australia 2013

VICTIMS OF CRIME, AUSTRALIA

This section presents national statistics about incidents of victimisation for a selected range of offences that came to the attention of state and territory police and were recorded in the period 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2013. The statistics provide information about victim characteristics and the nature of the criminal incidents.

The data in this section are drawn from Data Cube titled Victims of Crime, Australia (Tables 1-5).
NATIONAL SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

Nationally, there was a decrease between 2012 and 2013 in the number of victims for the following offences:

§ Homicide (decrease of 5.3% or 24 victims);

§ Kidnapping/abduction (decrease of 5.8% or 37 victims);

§ Robbery (decrease of 11% or 1,465 victims);

§ Unlawful entry with intent (decrease of 5.0% or 10,803 victims);

§ Motor vehicle theft (decrease of 9.5% or 5,577 victims); and

§ Other theft (decrease of 3.6% or 17,992 victims).

In contrast, nationally there was an increase between 2012 and 2013 in the number of victims for the following offences:

§ Sexual assault (increase of 7.6% or 1,413 victims); and

§ Blackmail/extortion (increase of 17% or 75 victims).

It's always good to see a poster get the lies right in to the title of the OP!

They can't have guns? Really? Are you sure?

Jesus wept, Bill.....of course some people have guns. They just have laws that take safety into account, genius.

A common misconception is that firearms are illegal in Australia and that no individual may possess them. While it's true that Australia has restrictive firearms laws, rifles and shotguns (including semi-automatic), as well as handguns are all legal within a narrow set of criteria.

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
And now the truth, from WaPo.....

imrs.php

Oh Gawd..........how many times do I have to post up this Harvard University research from April of 2013? Their conclusion was definitive >>>

MORE GUNS = LESS CRIMES

Not even debatable for a nano-second.

Harvard study concludes that gun control does not prevent murders other violent crime

Countries with gun bans have faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar higher murder rates than countries with no gun ban.

Lets not forget.......the gun grabber fags in this forum rely solely upon emotion with their views. Most are mental cases. Go over to YouTube and watch the dozens of video's where gun grabbers are interviewed at NRA events. These people are the most dangerous mofu's walking the planet........feet never touch the ground,

Heres just a single sample >>>>

If you've never experienced what it feels like when your jaw hits the floor, watch this vid and it happens within 3 minutes!!!:eusa_dance::gay::gay:

Firearms categories

Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories determined by the National Firearm Agreement with different levels of control. The categories are:

Category A: Rimfire rifles (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, and paintball markers. A "Genuine Reason" must be provided for a Category A firearm.

Category B: Centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901. Apart from a "Genuine Reason", a "Genuine Need" must be demonstrated, including why a Category A firearm would not be suitable.

Category C: Self loading rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or self loading shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. Category C firearms are strongly restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms.

Category D: Self loading centrefire rifles, pump-action or self loading shotguns holding more than 5 rounds. Functional Category D firearms are restricted to government agencies and a few occupational shooters. Collectors may own deactivated Category D firearms.

Category H: Handguns including air pistols and deactivated handguns. Neither SA nor WA require deactivated handguns to be regarded as handguns after deactivation. This situation[when?] was the catalyst in QLD for the deactivation and diversion of thousands of handguns to the black-market[vague] – the loophole[which?] shut since 2001) This class is available to target shooters and certain security guards where your job requires possession of a firearm. To be eligible for a Category H firearm, a target shooter must serve a probationary period of 12 months the first 6 months using club handguns, then in the remainder of the last 6 month probationary license, an application may be made, permit to acquire for one air pistol OR one rimfire pistol. A minimum number of matches yearly to retain each category of handgun and be a financial member of an approved Pistol Club. [2]

These categories – A,B,C,D and H were those determined by the NFA. The others listed here are determined by the states that have implement them at their own discretion.

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

They just have laws that take safety into account, genius.

Well, moron, they make it far safer for criminals to attack the law abiding citizens...that is true....

Since you were just here saigon...how about answering a simple question for me....say a woman is being stalked by an ex boyfriend, who over the period of a year has threatened to kill her, has threatened various members of her family and broken her ribs and stuck a gun in her mouth....the police have failed to help her, though her family works for the police, and restraining orders do not stop these kinds of stalkers.....

As an anti gunner, one who doesn't think innocent law abiding citizens should be able to carry guns for self defense....

What would you do to help this woman in this situation....not one of you anti gunners have been willing to answer that question....

actually saigon..that is a half truth...because they only show the bad that guns do and not the overwhelming good that they do for law abiding citizens against violent criminal attack...

In the United States...gun murders are on average 8-9,000 a year vs. 1.6 million times a year that guns are used to stop violent criminal attack and save lives....

of those 8-9,000 gun murders, 80% are committed by gangs in inner cities...that means only 1,800 are committed in non gang related activity

in the U.S. we have 310 million people, and around 310 million guns....

So out of 310 million people we have only 8-9,000 gun murders a year while we have 1.6 million legitimate self defense uses a year....

So see....you keep posting a half truth....of course that is typical of the left....

As long as you are only brutally raped, beaten, stabbed and shot without being killed and your stuff is taken at will by robbers...everything is okay....

I prefer stopping those sorts of things....but to each his own....

It pays to dig much deeper than some gun nut's blog.
From the real source::

4510.0 - Recorded Crime - Victims Australia 2013

VICTIMS OF CRIME, AUSTRALIA

This section presents national statistics about incidents of victimisation for a selected range of offences that came to the attention of state and territory police and were recorded in the period 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2013. The statistics provide information about victim characteristics and the nature of the criminal incidents.

The data in this section are drawn from Data Cube titled Victims of Crime, Australia (Tables 1-5).
NATIONAL SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

Nationally, there was a decrease between 2012 and 2013 in the number of victims for the following offences:

§ Homicide (decrease of 5.3% or 24 victims);

§ Kidnapping/abduction (decrease of 5.8% or 37 victims);

§ Robbery (decrease of 11% or 1,465 victims);

§ Unlawful entry with intent (decrease of 5.0% or 10,803 victims);

§ Motor vehicle theft (decrease of 9.5% or 5,577 victims); and

§ Other theft (decrease of 3.6% or 17,992 victims).

In contrast, nationally there was an increase between 2012 and 2013 in the number of victims for the following offences:

§ Sexual assault (increase of 7.6% or 1,413 victims); and

§ Blackmail/extortion (increase of 17% or 75 victims).
So after those decreases they still had the rates listed, that means the year before the rates were even higher, I wouldn't cal that an effective argument that Australia is not more violent.

imrs.php
take gun violence by the gangs out of there and the US is one of the safer Countries on the planet....
Ya and just think if we ban firearms all those gangs will just turn in all their weapons and we will be safe. Honest, by the way, did I mention I have a bridge to sell cheap?
am i talking about banning guns?.....learn to understand what people are talking about Sarge ....otherwise go back to your bowl of pablum....now what i said,was it true?....

imrs.php
take gun violence by the gangs out of there and the US is one of the safer Countries on the planet....
Ya and just think if we ban firearms all those gangs will just turn in all their weapons and we will be safe. Honest, by the way, did I mention I have a bridge to sell cheap?
am i talking about banning guns?.....learn to understand what people are talking about Sarge ....otherwise go back to your bowl of pablum....now what i said,was it true?....
One assumes that given enough information another poster is smart enough to recognize when another poster is being facetious, I even include the selling a bridge to give you a hint. So instead of using critical thinking skills you assumed I was attacking your post when in fact i was supporting it by claiming something that we all know won't happen if one bans firearms.

Forum List

Back