Atlas Shrugged has changed the face of American Politics

I'm very fond of Ms Rand's philosophy, not such a big fan of her skills as an author. She is long-winded to the point of distraction --- John Galt's speech in "Atlas Shrugged" is 32,000 words all by itself! She's repetitive, she doesn't just beat the dead horse, she grinds it into a fine paste, snorts it, excretes it, and has the waste treated at a sewage plant.

Her characters are less than one-dimensional (a fraction of a dimension) and the way she writes sex scenes is more at home in the pages of a pulp true-crime magazine from the 1950's.

Subjecting college students to "Atlas Shrugged" is the surest way I know to turn them into tree-hugging, hippy freaks.

"The Fountainhead" is also a much better book (made into a watchable movie) and is considerably shorter than "Atlas Shrugged".

A better read of Rand's, is "Anthem". It sums up her philosophy very neatly in a paltry 104 pages (Signet Paperback Edition) and contains no soda-masochistic sex scenes.
What could possibly be the rational reason to even discuss Rand unless there was a chance to meet women who like a little force to get what they need? (-:

Because, despite her obvious failings as a writer, Ms Rand's philosophy, called Objectivism, is one of the most well-thought out, empirically-based, and logical schools of thought ever conceived.

We celebrate Plato for his mysticism, Nietzsche, Hume, and Hobbs for their justification of Totalitarianism, but Rand is over-looked as a major philosopher because her ideas are supportive of personal freedom and critical of The State.

I'm very fond of Ms Rand's philosophy, not such a big fan of her skills as an author. She is long-winded to the point of distraction --- John Galt's speech in "Atlas Shrugged" is 32,000 words all by itself! She's repetitive, she doesn't just beat the dead horse, she grinds it into a fine paste, snorts it, excretes it, and has the waste treated at a sewage plant.

Her characters are less than one-dimensional (a fraction of a dimension) and the way she writes sex scenes is more at home in the pages of a pulp true-crime magazine from the 1950's.

Subjecting college students to "Atlas Shrugged" is the surest way I know to turn them into tree-hugging, hippy freaks.

"The Fountainhead" is also a much better book (made into a watchable movie) and is considerably shorter than "Atlas Shrugged".

A better read of Rand's, is "Anthem". It sums up her philosophy very neatly in a paltry 104 pages (Signet Paperback Edition) and contains no soda-masochistic sex scenes.
What could possibly be the rational reason to even discuss Rand unless there was a chance to meet women who like a little force to get what they need? (-:

Because, despite her obvious failings as a writer, Ms Rand's philosophy, called Objectivism, is one of the most well-thought out, empirically-based, and logical schools of thought ever conceived.

We celebrate Plato for his mysticism, Nietzsche, Hume, and Hobbs for their justification of Totalitarianism, but Rand is over-looked as a major philosopher because her ideas are supportive of personal freedom and critical of The State.
Well, imo Rand was anything but objective. Objectivism may be a valid philosophy, but for me it is as lacking as existentialism. But regardless, she made it impossible to separate her philosophy from her politics.

Rand was an idiot.

the pig Pelosi Cheater Joe's imminent impeachment is on the horizon/ people are flocking from liberal blue states to fun red states where you get to actually to keep your paycheck, corporations will move en mass to offshore.. the cities burn, obama's civil war... Atlas shrugged, not just me. people are putting their income taxes in escrow at my suggestion, which is perfectly legal. makes it harder for pelosi biden and shumer from playing fast and loose and wasteful, with your hard earned money.

who wouldn't want to pay for climate change when their kids haven't been to the dentist for years ?

Blue state exodus turns red states purple - WORLD Radio Blog
worldandeverything.org › 2020/12 › blue-state-exodus...

Dec 17, 2020 — A recent University of California Berkeley survey found that more than half of registered voters in California have thought about leaving the state.
“Leftugees” flooding the red states: the liberal exodus of America
rtd.rt.com › stories › leftugees-flooding-the-red-states

Nov 20, 2020 — However, a new trend has become increasingly strong in the recent years: people leave in droves from the so-called “blue” (that is, Democrat- ...
At Issue: Blue-state Exodus - Georgia Trend Magazine
georgiatrend.com › 2020/03/31 › at-issue-blue-state-ex...

Mar 31, 2020 — Red-state Georgia is not alone, by any means. The trend of hundreds of thousands of people moving from left-leaning metro areas in blue ...

I didn't know anyone read Ayn Rand after high school.
Didn’t even read it in high school.
when do you graduate ?
1982 and with our school, we didn’t read crap books.
Did ya get a Gold Star for finger painting?
Dude pass the douche to the right...

Well, imo Rand was anything but objective. Objectivism may be a valid philosophy, but for me it is as lacking as existentialism. But regardless, she made it impossible to separate her philosophy from her politics.

Objectivism doesn't mean to be objective in all things or that all opinions are valid. Who among us doesn't allow our personal philosophy to influence our politics? Isn't the point of politics an effort to influence power in line with our wants and needs?

Objectivism teaches that rational decisions only come from the objective knowledge of what we, as individuals, see and sense around us (as does science). It rejects the group-think, and collective ideology. Ideally, no two Objectivists, will agree in all things. Their individual beliefs will be influenced not by what they are taught, but what they can observe for themselves.

Rand was an idiot.

Well, at least you've thought it out.

it comes down to whom owns the idea... ask my dad.

Rand was an idiot.
because of all the books you've sold, please elaborate...

the fake news celebrates bill clinton for his pedophilia...

i guess that's different.

Objectivism doesn't mean to be objective in all things or that all opinions are valid. Who among us doesn't allow our personal philosophy to influence our politics? Isn't the point of politics an effort to influence power in line with our wants and needs?

Objectivism teaches that rational decisions only come from the objective knowledge of what we, as individuals, see and sense around us (as does science). It rejects the group-think, and collective ideology. Ideally, no two Objectivists, will agree in all things. Their individual beliefs will be influenced not by what they are taught, but what they can observe for themselves.
Perhaps rational decisions cannot all come from objective knowledge.

describe failure as an author please...

ahhh uhhh 29,500,000 copies

Objectivism teaches that decisions can't be rational if not based on objective knowledge. Believing in something that you can't see observe (just because it feels right) isn't rational.

However, an Objectivist also believes that your opinions are fully valid for YOU. You are fully entitled to believe what you want to believe. Just don't try to sell it to me if it's not based on evidence.

finally ben you are someone who gets it.

today she would be excoriated by fake news and stolen Presidential elections.

Objectivism teaches that decisions can't be rational if not based on objective knowledge. Believing in something that you can't see observe (just because it feels right) isn't rational.

However, an Objectivist also believes that your opinions are fully valid for YOU. You are fully entitled to believe what you want to believe. Just don't try to sell it to me if it's not based on evidence.
have you read anything by her... doesn't sound like it. no offense.

describe failure as an author please...

ahhh uhhh 29,500,000 copies

Read above.

Objectively, she's not a good author. You don't have to be a good author to be a best-selling author.

220px-50ShadesofGreyCoverArt.jpg

it's as nebulous as existential or angst. it's really simple.. if i invent something it's mine. which brings us to asshole nasty nancy pelosjewitch. think Ockham's razor... Starkey will explain it.

Extensively. I fully agree with her on matters of philosophy and her non-fiction works are actually quite good, if somewhat dry. I just take exception with the idea that she is a great fiction writer. She is not, for the reasons I listed above.

Last edited:
But more directly to the point, if all rational belief must be based on what one observes, how can Rand's politics be the only rational result? That's what makes no sense. JFK's sense of service and denial of self - even though he was admittedly a hedonist in personal life - was formed from his war. Truman changed his views on racial discrimination simply from his personal observations.

That's why politics is irrelevant. Even if one assumes Rand's philosophy is an acceptable avenue to view "truth" … whatever that is. LOL

Extensively. I fully agree with her on matters of philosophy and her non-fiction works are actually quite good, if someone dry. I just take exception with the idea that she is a great fiction writer. She is not, for the reasons I listed above.
Agreed.

I find that folks that think she is a great fiction writer haven't read a lot of great fiction. They have generally read her for political reasons, and tend to mostly read non-fiction, so they compare her work to non-fiction.

I would choose Twain over her any day. Who the hell wouldn't? :dunno:

Not to mention the foreign stuff that can really move your soul, like Hugo and Tolstoy.

the pig Pelosi Cheater Joe's imminent impeachment is on the horizon/ people are flocking from liberal blue states to fun red states where you get to actually to keep your paycheck, corporations will move en mass to offshore.. the cities burn, obama's civil war... Atlas shrugged, not just me. people are putting their income taxes in escrow at my suggestion, which is perfectly legal. makes it harder for pelosi biden and shumer from playing fast and loose and wasteful, with your hard earned money.

who wouldn't want to pay for climate change when their kids haven't been to the dentist for years ?

Blue state exodus turns red states purple - WORLD Radio Blog
worldandeverything.org › 2020/12 › blue-state-exodus...

Dec 17, 2020 — A recent University of California Berkeley survey found that more than half of registered voters in California have thought about leaving the state.
“Leftugees” flooding the red states: the liberal exodus of America
rtd.rt.com › stories › leftugees-flooding-the-red-states

Nov 20, 2020 — However, a new trend has become increasingly strong in the recent years: people leave in droves from the so-called “blue” (that is, Democrat- ...
At Issue: Blue-state Exodus - Georgia Trend Magazine
georgiatrend.com › 2020/03/31 › at-issue-blue-state-ex...

Mar 31, 2020 — Red-state Georgia is not alone, by any means. The trend of hundreds of thousands of people moving from left-leaning metro areas in blue ...

I didn't know anyone read Ayn Rand after high school.
Didn’t even read it in high school.
when do you graduate ?
1982 and with our school, we didn’t read crap books.
Did ya get a Gold Star for finger painting?
Dude pass the douche to the right...
Sure. Drink hearty!

Forum List

Back