atheism

froggy

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2009
was that what caused the downfall of these great united states.

Name one prominent atheist and list any deleterious effects he or she may have had on the country.

Name one prominent atheist and list any deleterious effects he or she may have had on the country.

this country founded on "in god we trust" but not anymore thanks to athesim.

I blame the radical atheists for the decline of morality in children. Kids don't know right from wrong anymore and believe that they are the center of the universe. Sad and scary.

I blame the radical atheists for the decline of morality in children. Kids don't know right from wrong anymore and believe that they are the center of the universe. Sad and scary.

Meh ... not really, the radical atheists also believe in obeying the law more than anything, jailtime is the one thing they fear. The radical religious zealots are most likely to blame, if any particular group, though I think it's more along the lines of "parents who just shouldn't have kids" ... ;)

Their are virtues and tenants of morality that most religions share. There is nothing wrong with teaching children the Ten Commandments in a "non zealous" fashion. Something tells me these kids beating and gang raping other kids don't believe in God. Just a hunch.

When my students complain about their parents and I quip "Honor thy mother and father" they look at me like I'm some kind of Jesus freak. Of course half of them don't know their fathers.

this country founded on "in god we trust" but not anymore thanks to athesim.

No, "in god we trust" was not in the original documents.

when that became our motto then america became a prosperous nation

Um no. :doubt: We were prosperous before that motto was added. We should not need or have any motto, but the one that made us strong was "Life, Liberty, and the persuit of Happiness".

Their are virtues and tenants of morality that most religions share. There is nothing wrong with teaching children the Ten Commandments in a "non zealous" fashion. Something tells me these kids beating and gang raping other kids don't believe in God. Just a hunch.

When my students complain about their parents and I quip "Honor thy mother and father" they look at me like I'm some kind of Jesus freak. Of course half of them don't know their fathers.

I have found that most criminals doe believe in a "god", the one commonality is that most are monotheistic (but that's just a happy coincidence). So if you want to go that route, this is what it translates to: people who believe they are "saved" for their beliefs are the real problem, because they they have nothing preventing them from breaking the law since they are already "saved".

was that what caused the downfall of these great united states.

It's only my own personal beliefs but I think the more people turn away from God, the worse our country becomes. A lack of respect for God and a lack of respect for the core beliefs that founded this country is what is causing it's downfall. We are spinning way out of control and I don't see it getting any better. Only worse.

It's "tenets" not tenants. Tenants are renters. [I can't believe you're a teacher] I think you'll find that most criminals do believe in God. I think you'll find most politicians believe in God, or say they do. I don't see a whole lot to emulate or admire within the Congress or with huge corporations, or smaller companies, or the Wall Streeters. I don't see anybody doing right. I see people doing whatever it is to get more and more money. I see lies by omission, outright lies and corruption. I see excuse making.....at the top. Not the bottom. I don't see people quitting their jobs or taking a stand that is unpopular in order to do right, I see evasion and waffling and machinations. If there is a God, he or she must be quite annoyed at all of this. For the Christians, there's that whole "grace" thing. Of course good works count for naught, only believing counts. The 10 Commandments is old school, Old Testament, Moses era stuff, Jesus changed all of that. Grace is the ticket. Works are now meaningless. Say you believe and it's all good.

The absence of ethics is glaring. Don't blame TV, at least not the dramas and the violent offerings, the bad guy always is caught.......it's formulaic. Even Dexter has ethics and boundaries he won't cross, he has a 'code'. You can't blame the atheists or the agnostics or the "I just don't knows". There is virtually no record of this disparate class as being responsible for anything negative, except making the religious people anxious and grumpy. Keeping the religious people anxious and grumpy is more what it is all about. That way they'll have something to talk about and rail against, while breaking their own rules. We notice. We don't say anything, because it will do no good. You are what you want to be. Not our place to try to change you, nor is it ethical. You seem to like it and you seem to love to complain about the rest of us and that seems to make you happy. Who are we to disabuse you of this Nirvana? It's akin to outing Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, it simply is not Marquis of Queensbury to do so. So carry on.

The absence of ethics is glaring indeed but it is the fact that if there is no God than the only logical response is what can I get away with, since there is no longer a certainty of ever being caught. Most politicians claim to be a Christian not more than one in ten have been in a church within recent memory. Christianity doesn't teach that the ends justify the means but Karl Marx certainly did.

The absence of ethics is glaring indeed but it is the fact that if there is no God than the only logical response is what can I get away with, since there is no longer a certainty of ever being caught. Most politicians claim to be a Christian not more than one in ten have been in a church within recent memory. Christianity doesn't teach that the ends justify the means but Karl Marx certainly did.

Ethics preceded Christianity. Ethics does not flow from religion, or the belief that there is an afterlife, or that in the afterlife, scores may be reckoned. Ethics doesn't have to do with being caught, it has to do with what is right, now and in the future.

I think you have Marx confused with Machiavelli.

Ever read old Karl? It comes through loud and clear in the communist manifesto. No tactic is too dirty if it furthers the revolution.

Define ethics. and than look at the history of same and tell me that Christianity didn't improve drastically upon the situation it came into.

Ever read old Karl? It comes through loud and clear in the communist manifesto. No tactic is too dirty if it furthers the revolution.

Define ethics. and than look at the history of same and tell me that Christianity didn't improve drastically upon the situation it came into.

I don't think Christianity is an improvement on Judaism, if that's what you mean, quite the contrary. I think the Jews have a better set up, much better. Most of Christianity is begged, borrowed and stolen from Judaism anyway, with a few pagan twists in there to make it more salient.

If you are insinuating that Christianity improved on the Roman model of tolerance and assimilation of all the cultural religions, I would disagree there as well.

Forum List

Back