Asheville, North Carolina City Council: SHAME ON YOU!

This really isn't any different than what most large cities already do with urban renewal programs. They are really just paying lip service.
America's Democrat cities are cess pools. Not worth living in, if one was paid a Billion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think if blacks keep pushing to get paid because some blacks were slaves, they will eventually get what's coming to them . Probably sooner then later.
The Japanese kept pushing and pushing. They eventually awakened the sleeping giant, and got what was coming to them.

1594929723547.png

It's unconstitutional........someone needs to fight it in court..............and push it to the Supreme court and end this BS.

How is it unconstitutional?
Forcing tax payers to pay for something that they shouldn't have to pay.

Just find a good lawyer and challenge it.........guarantee they can cause city council to hate the courts before you are done with them. Kinda like the 9th Circus Court in reverse.

Forcing tax payers to pay for something that they shouldn't have to pay.

Just find a good lawyer and challenge it.........guarantee they can cause city council to hate the courts before you are done with them. Kinda like the 9th Circus Court in reverse.
Has there ever been a case where the tax payers have determined that there are certain things they don't want their tax dollars paying for? I'm sure there are people who opposed our involvement in wars overseas, domestic surveillance, legislation that benefits corporations over individual citizens but once the taxes have been collected how do you prevent the government from spending it as they see fit as opposed to things you don't what your taxes supporting?

Also is there anything you find unconstitutional about these cases where our government paid reparations?

"Japanese internment
The forced internment of 120,000 Japanese-Americans in camps during World War II resulted in about $3.1 billion in property loss and $6.4 billion in income loss, in 2014 dollars. If you account for the possibility that that money might have been invested and gotten above-inflation returns, the economic losses are even larger.​
Congress made two attempts at reparations, the Japanese-American Claims Act of 1948 and the Civil Liberties Act of 1988. Between 1948 and 1965, the former authorized payments totaling $38 million (which comes to somewhere between $286 to $374 million in 2014 dollars), which didn't come close to matching the economic loss. The latter offered survivors $20,000 each in reparations. By 1998, 80,000 survivors had collected their share, for a total payout of $1.6 billion (between $2.3 billion and $3.2 billion today). There is no accounting by which either measure adequately repaid internees for their economic losses, let alone compensated for pain and suffering.​
Forced sterilization
Most Americans states practiced one or another form of eugenics during the 20th century, with forced sterilizations of "unfit" people being a prime instrument. The targets were largely but by no means entirely mentally or developmentally disabled; poor black women on welfare were especially likely to be victimized in this manner. The Supreme Court gave the practice a green light with 1927's Buck v. Bell, and eventually 33 states adopted the practice, forcibly sterilizing about 65,000 people total through the 1970s. Oregon forcibly sterilized people as late as 1981, and its Board of Eugenics (renamed the "Board of Social Protection" in 1967) was only abolished in 1983.​
Very few states have acknowledged or apologized for these policies, and only one, North Carolina, has set up a reparations program. The state sterilized about 7,600 people, most of whom are no longer living, but last year passed a $10 million reparations program that should give the more than 177 living victims somewhere in the range of $50,000 each. The payments should be made within a few years. Some victims have objected, saying this doesn't come close to remedying the injustice. As one victim, Elaine Riddick Jessie (who was sterilized at age 14 after being raped and giving the resulting son up for adoption), put it, "If I accepted it, what kind of value am I putting on my life?"​
California, which sterilized by far the largest number of people of any state, has yet to pay out reparations.​
Tuskegee experiment
After the end of the Tuskegee experiment — in which 399 black men with syphilis were left untreated to study the progression of the disease between 1932 and 1972 — the government reached a $10 million out of court settlement with the victims and their families in 1974, which included both monetary reparations (in 2014 dollars, $178,000 for men in the study who had syphilis, $72,000 for heirs, $77,000 for those in the control group and $24,000 for heirs of those in the control group) and a promise of lifelong medical treatment for both participants and their immediate families. According to the CDC, 15 descendants are still receiving treatment through the program today.​
Rosewood
In 1923, the primarily black town of Rosewood on the Gulf Coast of Florida was destroyed in a race riot that, by official counts, killed at least six black residents and two whites (though some descendants of the town's residents have claimed many more were killed and dumped in mass graves). In 1994, the state of Florida agreed to a reparations package worth around $3.36 million in 2014 dollars, of which $2.4 million today would be set aside to compensate the 11 or so remaining survivors of the incident, $800,000 to compensate those who were forced to flee the town, and $160,000 would go to college scholarships primarily aimed at descendants.​

Has there ever been a case where the tax payers have determined that there are certain things they don't want their tax dollars paying for? I'm sure there are people who opposed our involvement in wars overseas, domestic surveillance, legislation that benefits corporations over individual citizens but once the taxes have been collected how do you prevent the government from spending it as they see fit as opposed to things you don't what your taxes supporting?

Also is there anything you find unconstitutional about these cases where our government paid reparations?

"Japanese internment
The forced internment of 120,000 Japanese-Americans in camps during World War II resulted in about $3.1 billion in property loss and $6.4 billion in income loss, in 2014 dollars. If you account for the possibility that that money might have been invested and gotten above-inflation returns, the economic losses are even larger.​
Congress made two attempts at reparations, the Japanese-American Claims Act of 1948 and the Civil Liberties Act of 1988. Between 1948 and 1965, the former authorized payments totaling $38 million (which comes to somewhere between $286 to $374 million in 2014 dollars), which didn't come close to matching the economic loss. The latter offered survivors $20,000 each in reparations. By 1998, 80,000 survivors had collected their share, for a total payout of $1.6 billion (between $2.3 billion and $3.2 billion today). There is no accounting by which either measure adequately repaid internees for their economic losses, let alone compensated for pain and suffering.​
Forced sterilization
Most Americans states practiced one or another form of eugenics during the 20th century, with forced sterilizations of "unfit" people being a prime instrument. The targets were largely but by no means entirely mentally or developmentally disabled; poor black women on welfare were especially likely to be victimized in this manner. The Supreme Court gave the practice a green light with 1927's Buck v. Bell, and eventually 33 states adopted the practice, forcibly sterilizing about 65,000 people total through the 1970s. Oregon forcibly sterilized people as late as 1981, and its Board of Eugenics (renamed the "Board of Social Protection" in 1967) was only abolished in 1983.​
Very few states have acknowledged or apologized for these policies, and only one, North Carolina, has set up a reparations program. The state sterilized about 7,600 people, most of whom are no longer living, but last year passed a $10 million reparations program that should give the more than 177 living victims somewhere in the range of $50,000 each. The payments should be made within a few years. Some victims have objected, saying this doesn't come close to remedying the injustice. As one victim, Elaine Riddick Jessie (who was sterilized at age 14 after being raped and giving the resulting son up for adoption), put it, "If I accepted it, what kind of value am I putting on my life?"​
California, which sterilized by far the largest number of people of any state, has yet to pay out reparations.​
Tuskegee experiment
After the end of the Tuskegee experiment — in which 399 black men with syphilis were left untreated to study the progression of the disease between 1932 and 1972 — the government reached a $10 million out of court settlement with the victims and their families in 1974, which included both monetary reparations (in 2014 dollars, $178,000 for men in the study who had syphilis, $72,000 for heirs, $77,000 for those in the control group and $24,000 for heirs of those in the control group) and a promise of lifelong medical treatment for both participants and their immediate families. According to the CDC, 15 descendants are still receiving treatment through the program today.​
Rosewood
In 1923, the primarily black town of Rosewood on the Gulf Coast of Florida was destroyed in a race riot that, by official counts, killed at least six black residents and two whites (though some descendants of the town's residents have claimed many more were killed and dumped in mass graves). In 1994, the state of Florida agreed to a reparations package worth around $3.36 million in 2014 dollars, of which $2.4 million today would be set aside to compensate the 11 or so remaining survivors of the incident, $800,000 to compensate those who were forced to flee the town, and $160,000 would go to college scholarships primarily aimed at descendants.​

Apple and Oranges.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in each of those cases, it was directly to the victims, from the people who engaged in the action.

Again... I never owned a slave. None in my family, or extended family, or relatives owned slaves.

Nor are any of the people alive today, former slaves, or even direct children of former slaves.

And the first slave owner in the US, was a black man. Most slaves were originally owned by blacks. That's how they ended up here, is that they were black people, owned by black people, sold to white people.

So.... Why should we give money to people, who likely have slave owners in their history, just as much as anyone else?

No, this has absolutely nothing whatsoever in common when the example you listed.

Apple and Oranges.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in each of those cases, it was directly to the victims, from the people who engaged in the action.

Again... I never owned a slave. None in my family, or extended family, or relatives owned slaves.

Nor are any of the people alive today, former slaves, or even direct children of former slaves.

And the first slave owner in the US, was a black man. Most slaves were originally owned by blacks. That's how they ended up here, is that they were black people, owned by black people, sold to white people.

So.... Why should we give money to people, who likely have slave owners in their history, just as much as anyone else?

No, this has absolutely nothing whatsoever in common when the example you listed.
I don't have time to go over each and every issue you raised but I'll try to address a couple of them.

First of all, you're making this very personal. I has nothing to do with you individually or your family/extended family or relatives. Reparations are paid when the government has created or perpetuated a wrong against a certain group of people. Our government is the guilty party in this in that it instituted and protected the enslavement of people of African descent known as chattel slavery in the United States through a series of laws, policies and social mores. Once slavery was abolished, it was replaced with a new, more "palatable" form of enslavement by the name of Jim Crow and black codes. It was not outright slavery but people of African descent were still legislatively disenfranchised all the way up to the landmark SCOTUS decision of Brown versus the Board of Education which decided that the doctrine of "separate but equal" was unconstitutional in 1954. The passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 finally put an end to the legal practice of "racism" when it made it unlawful to discriminate against others based on their race, gender, nationality, etc.

I asked you previously about our taxes going to fund things which we do not support but you didn't address that issue when you replied so I'm going to present it a different way. How is it fair that black people were required to pay the same amount of taxes as white people yet legislatively were not allowed to reap the same benefits in goods and services? What about when the government commissioned a committee to discover the root causes of what ails the black community and they come back and advice the president that white racism is the cause yet our government fails to act and fails to implement the recommendations (see the Kerner Report).

Slavery is just where this all started and claiming that the only way reparations can and should be made are to those people who were themselves slaves is just a convenient cop out since they are all pretty much deceased. However all of the black people who lived through Jim Crow, and during the times of legal segregation were harmed. Anything that someone does that reduces your opportunites, limits your potential, interfers with your life, your hopes and dreams solely due to your race, to the point where they had to make laws to keep the upper hand, causes harm, whether you believe so or not.

I believe the reason the U.S. doesn't want to make reparations is because they've done so much damage that the dollar amount would be astronomical. And of course history shows, they don't want black people to receive anything, especially money, that would allow more options in life, including rising to the same level of many of the racists and/or surpassing them.

I don't have time to go over each and every issue you raised but I'll try to address a couple of them.

First of all, you're making this very personal. I has nothing to do with you individually or your family/extended family or relatives. Reparations are paid when the government has created or perpetuated a wrong against a certain group of people. Our government is the guilty party in this in that it instituted and protected the enslavement of people of African descent known as chattel slavery in the United States through a series of laws, policies and social mores. Once slavery was abolished, it was replaced with a new, more "palatable" form of enslavement by the name of Jim Crow and black codes. It was not outright slavery but people of African descent were still legislatively disenfranchised all the way up to the landmark SCOTUS decision of Brown versus the Board of Education which decided that the doctrine of "separate but equal" was unconstitutional in 1954. The passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 finally put an end to the legal practice of "racism" when it made it unlawful to discriminate against others based on their race, gender, nationality, etc.

I asked you previously about our taxes going to fund things which we do not support but you didn't address that issue when you replied so I'm going to present it a different way. How is it fair that black people were required to pay the same amount of taxes as white people yet legislatively were not allowed to reap the same benefits in goods and services? What about when the government commissioned a committee to discover the root causes of what ails the black community and they come back and advice the president that white racism is the cause yet our government fails to act and fails to implement the recommendations (see the Kerner Report).

Slavery is just where this all started and claiming that the only way reparations can and should be made are to those people who were themselves slaves is just a convenient cop out since they are all pretty much deceased. However all of the black people who lived through Jim Crow, and during the times of legal segregation were harmed. Anything that someone does that reduces your opportunites, limits your potential, interfers with your life, your hopes and dreams solely due to your race, to the point where they had to make laws to keep the upper hand, causes harm, whether you believe so or not.

I believe the reason the U.S. doesn't want to make reparations is because they've done so much damage that the dollar amount would be astronomical. And of course history shows, they don't want black people to receive anything, especially money, that would allow more options in life, including rising to the same level of many of the racists and/or surpassing them.

I has nothing to do with you individually or your family/extended family or relatives.

But it does. If you are taking my money (in the form of taxes) to give to other people, whom no one alive has done anything wrong to.... then it does have something to do with us individually.

I asked you previously about our taxes going to fund things which we do not support

Two answers to that. One, if you mean things like the Military, those are things you do support, whether you claim to or not.

IF you want to live in a nation that is safe, then you do support the military whether you openly admit it, or not.

Two, if you mean other things that we may not support.... great let's cut those things.

Two wrongs, does not make a right. I don't support green energy grants and subsidies. The solution to that, is not to have more subsidies for other things. You just end the subsidies.

How is it fair that black people were required to pay the same amount of taxes as white people yet legislatively were not allowed to reap the same benefits in goods and services?

I don't know of a single good or service, that black people are excluded from. Which public good or service, are white people allowed, and blacks are not?

Kerner Report

Because it was wrong, and the recommendations were crap.

And of course history shows, they don't want black people to receive anything, especially money, that would allow more options in life, including rising to the same level of many of the racists and/or surpassing them.

No, that's ridiculous. Giving people money, does not change anything. All you have to do is look at the massive number of black athletes who make hundreds of millions, and then end up in poverty.

All you have to do is look at the sheer number of lottery winners, that end up in poverty.

All you have to do is look at Black immigrants who come here with far fewer options, and far less money, and end up wealthy.

All you have to do is look at black people who grew up in the exact same neighborhoods, went to the exact same schools, and end up very successful.

Larry Elder was talking about his childhood friend, whose life was a wreck, who was saying the white man was oppressing him. Larry replied that they had the same teachers, same school buss, lived on the same road. Larry Elder of course fabulously successful.

No amount of options will help if you make bad choices. No amount of money will help if you life irresponsibly. Michael Jackson made an estimated Billion dollars in his life, and was on the verge of bankruptcy at his death.

If there is any connection at all, between poverty and government support, it is an inverse connection. Meaning the more you help people with money and options, the more they remain in poverty.

Because the only method of success in life, is to face yourself in the mirror, and make changes to improve your own situation.

Government help allows people to avoid the difficult task of facing their own deficiencies. Government help allows them to deny responsibility for their lives, and blame other people for their situation.

This is true of all people by the way. White or black. I was listening to this lady who had a son who was hooked on heroin, and unemployed, living in her basement. For 5 or 6 years, she paid for him, worked with him, pleaded with him, and on and on. Finally she said "I'm not going to watch you die, and I am not going to help you anymore. You must leave the house, and you are on your own"

One year later, he had checked himself into a drug addiction center, got a fast food job, rented a tiny apartment, and then got a job in construction, was clean from drugs, and got training in something, I can't remember what.

The moment he was forced to stop relying on other people to fix his life, and he finally faced his problems entirely on his own, suddenly his life started turning around.

Your side, with these ridiculous reparations, is just another way for blacks to avoid taking responsibility for themselves, which will without any question in my mind, result in them being worse off.

The standard of living in the black community rose faster before the 1960s civil rights era, than after. And if you decide to take steps backwards, you will just make things worse for them now.

In fact you already are.

Make sure to give those bodies, their reparations.

As soon as the Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Jr., becomes the 46th president of the United States of America, all the cities in this country (including Red ones) will be racing to outdo one another in the scope of reparations given to that ethnicity.

Of course, a one-time grant will not satisfy them. They will no doubt want a yearly stipend, with a built-in cost of living increase, of course.

"Japanese internment
Forced sterilization
Tuskegee experiment
Rosewood
You "prevent the government from spending it as they see fit", by :

1. cutting off any federal funds going to Asheville, NC

2. Filing a federal suit against Asheville, based on violation of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, banning racial discrimination, or have the federal govt do that. The city could be ordered to pay back wages, attorney fees, damages for emotional distress, and punitive damages.

3. Levying stiff ($ 1 Million) fines against Asheville.

4. EEOC could impose an injunction and/or restraining order to stop the Asheville resolution.

Whether criminal penalties could be imposed, I don't know.

1. NO, "our government " is NOT "the guilty party in this, in that it instituted and protected the enslavement of people of African descent" No one in our government was alive during the time of slavery or even their grandparents. To blame our government for things that happened 160 years ago, is ludicrous.

2. No, our government(s) is not guilty of Jim Crow laws, as these disappeared many decades ago, and were not imposed by any state or federal govt in existence today. If there is any Jim Crow law still in existence NOW, show it.

3. I know of no goods and services that are denied to black people. If you know of any show it. Where and what it is.

4, The Kerner report refers to the era BEFORE Affirmative Action. Inequities that blacks suffered in housing, jobs, education, business, etc have been eradicated by AA, and the inequities have been reversed, with blacks as the beneficiaries of racial discrimination, and whites the victims, for 56 years now.

5. Regarding this statement >>> "Anything that someone does that reduces your opportunities, limits your potential, interferes with your life, your hopes and dreams solely due to your race, to the point where they had to make laws to keep the upper hand, causes harm,"
YES, it sure does, and the "Anything" is Affirmative Action", and the crazy reparations resolution made by the city of Asheville, NC. If there is any reparations to be paid, it should be to the white and Asian victims of Affirmative Action racial discrimination over the past 56 years. and in some cases, this includes black men victims too. (which in turn victimizes black women wives, daughters and mothers of those discriminated against men.)

Last edited:
You "prevent the government from spending it as they see fit", by :

1. cutting off any federal funds going to Asheville, NC

2. Filing a federal suit against Asheville, based on violation of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, banning racial discrimination, or have the federal govt do that. The city could be ordered to pay back wages, attorney fees, damages for emotional distress, and punitive damages.

3. Levying stiff ($ 1 Million) fines against Asheville.

4. EEOC could impose an injunction and/or restraining order to stop the Asheville resolution.

Whether criminal penalties could be imposed, I don't know.
Why would the EEOC be involved in this?

Why would the EEOC be involved in this?
They are involved in enforcement of employment discrimination law.

The resolution states >> increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay

Note the word "minority" (excludes whites)

Last edited:

"Japanese internment
Forced sterilization
Tuskegee experiment
Rosewood

Did you read your fucking reply? From your reply:

By 1998, 80,000 survivors had collected their share, for a total payout of $1.6 billion (between $2.3 billion and $3.2 billion today).

Keyword: SURVIVORS. There are NO slaves still alive today. So we aren't paying survivors, we're paying great grandkids. BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE.

Did you read your fucking reply? From your reply:

Keyword: SURVIVORS. There are NO slaves still alive today. So we aren't paying survivors, we're paying great grandkids. BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE.
Imagine your great grandkids in the year 2180, getting money that you should have gotten now. CRAZY.

Reparations for blacks is nothing but a sleazy, low money-grab.

They are involved in enforcement of employment discrimination law.

The resolution states >> increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay

Note the word "minority" (excludes whites)
Do you know that women, including white women, are considered socially and economically disadvantaged?

And that's not how the EEOC works lol.

New Topics

Forum List

Back