art linkletter dies at 97 : (

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
No offense to Kid ‘n Play, but Art Linkletter’s House Party was always better. Linkletter’s program, which began on radio in 1944 before moving to TV eight years later, set a record for daytime longevity and featured Linkletter — who died Wednesday at age 97 at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles — interviewing children who could always be counted on to blurt out truths too uncomfortable for grown-ups to tell. It was a perfect showcase for the genial host, whose self-deprecating manner and masterful talent for pulling unintentionally funny cracks from everyday people made the show a hit for 25 years running. “What do your parents do for fun?” the host once asked a youngster. “Search me,” the kid replied, “They always lock the door.” Linkletter eventually turned some of the more inspired moments into Kids Say the Darndest Things. The book sat atop the nonfiction best-seller list for two years and remains one of the top-selling books in American publishing history.

Art Linkletter dies at 97 | EW.com

i will be honest i didnt know he was still alive to die.

No offense to Kid ‘n Play, but Art Linkletter’s House Party was always better. Linkletter’s program, which began on radio in 1944 before moving to TV eight years later, set a record for daytime longevity and featured Linkletter — who died Wednesday at age 97 at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles — interviewing children who could always be counted on to blurt out truths too uncomfortable for grown-ups to tell. It was a perfect showcase for the genial host, whose self-deprecating manner and masterful talent for pulling unintentionally funny cracks from everyday people made the show a hit for 25 years running. “What do your parents do for fun?” the host once asked a youngster. “Search me,” the kid replied, “They always lock the door.” Linkletter eventually turned some of the more inspired moments into Kids Say the Darndest Things. The book sat atop the nonfiction best-seller list for two years and remains one of the top-selling books in American publishing history.

Neither did I. I used to watch his show when I was little.

I had no idea he was still alive either. I saw an article that said 'cause of death unknown at this time', lol. Maybe 97 had something to do with it?

I used to watch his show way back when.

My wife just told me a few minutes before I read the OP. My response was the same as many others - I thought he was dead already.
RIP Art. Thanks!

Neither did I. I used to watch his show when I was little.

same here. on those old B&W TV's

Art Linkletter and Tennessee Ernie Ford are the 2 daytime television entertainers I recall from after my Captain Kangaroo years. The sad news today has made me long a bit for the "good old days" of being young with so little responsibilities. Yeah they were little, but back then, we took it as a big responsibility when our parents told us in so many ways not to blemish the family name.

I remember Art Linkletter well. He used to have a really great show and the kids on it were always good for a laugh. Too bad we don't have shows like that to watch these days instead of the usual garbage we are subjected to. He was a terrific talent.

Forum List

Back