Arms Race ~ Bring it On OMG

What is important in life is what kind of human being you are,

That's true, but not all human beings, or countries, are good. And being able to defend against such, without massive deaths of your own people, is important. That philosophy was one of the reasons the US used the bomb in WWII. The theory hed that by doing so, America saved over 100,000 soldiers and over 1,000,000 Japanese civilians lives.

Also, being a good human being isn't going deter Iran from sending a nuclear weapon to Tel Aviv, or smuggling one into L.A. or NYC. (I'm not sure if a nuclear weapon aimed at them will either since the believe that the Mahdi will come to save the world after chaos and an apocalypse).

Truth be known, the Soviet Union acquired nuclear weapons after the war because US had them and was a member of NATO, which was formed in 1949 as a defense against Soviet aggression. It soon became a "you have more than I do, so I'm going to build more", and it see sawed back and forth until SALT1 was signed in May, 1972. There have been multiple more arms treaties signed since then.

I am NOT pro nuclear arms. I wish there weren't any. The 1960's were terrifying to live through, but I recognize that in today's world there is still a need for them. They do deter global war, both conventional and nuclear.

Well I agree with you..

I just find it stupid to play I have more Nukes than you with Puttin

Alarm bells about a new arms race between the US and Russia went off this week around the world. President-elect Donald Trump reportedly told US news media "let's bring it on" after Russian leader Vladimir Putin earlier called for a "strengthening" of his country's nuclear capability

I look at that as Trump calling Putin's bluff. I noticed Putin quickly changed his tune, though.

That's true, but not all human beings, or countries, are good. And being able to defend against such, without massive deaths of your own people, is important. That philosophy was one of the reasons the US used the bomb in WWII. The theory hed that by doing so, America saved over 100,000 soldiers and over 1,000,000 Japanese civilians lives.

Also, being a good human being isn't going deter Iran from sending a nuclear weapon to Tel Aviv, or smuggling one into L.A. or NYC. (I'm not sure if a nuclear weapon aimed at them will either since the believe that the Mahdi will come to save the world after chaos and an apocalypse).

Truth be known, the Soviet Union acquired nuclear weapons after the war because US had them and was a member of NATO, which was formed in 1949 as a defense against Soviet aggression. It soon became a "you have more than I do, so I'm going to build more", and it see sawed back and forth until SALT1 was signed in May, 1972. There have been multiple more arms treaties signed since then.

I am NOT pro nuclear arms. I wish there weren't any. The 1960's were terrifying to live through, but I recognize that in today's world there is still a need for them. They do deter global war, both conventional and nuclear.
---------------------------------------- I am PRO NUKE , they are the great equalizer . Bombs in Japan saved hundred of thousands of American lives that didn't have to invade Japan and nukes may one day be needed again . ALSO , I lived through the 50s , 60s and since then as an American . I just want to say that I was never terrified or even worried about nukes or nuke war . Just a response in reply to DDRiver

I got my Harley Davidson degree and became a Construction Contractor ....:biggrin:

9c85354733765a60df0c7e5ae38ab713.jpg

Actually I got my degree in addiction counseling... I like to learn history by seeing it, not reading it in a book
---------------------------------------------------------------- oh man , an addiction counselor , nothing else needs be said EWings !!

Why Pismoe?
------------------------------------------ why WHAT EWings ??

Why do you say it makes sense because I am an addiction Counselor ...
--------------------------------------------- just my opinion that counselors and counseling are a waste of time and money EWings !!

Many with years of recovery and productive lives will disagree with you, addiction counseling may have save them Pismoe...

I find studying the brain to be fascinating.

We do things without realizing its out of our control in the subconscious part of the brain... Things our ancestors did perhaps.
But if it is something that we need to change , we stay focused in the conscious part of the brain and change our thought pattern a bad habit can be changed.

Well I agree with you..

-------------------------------------------- an you find it to be stupid due to your just finding out about the ARMS RACE a few days ago and due to your education or experience as an Addiction Counselor eh EWings ??

Well I agree with you..

-------------------------------------------- an you find it to be stupid due to your just finding out about the ARMS RACE a few days ago and due to your education or experience as an Addiction Counselor eh EWings ??

Done here Pismoe....you don't have to get rude

It slides off of me because i know you are trying to piss me off.... waste of time.

????? So instead we should have said " OK, great! Have at it!". Then what? They keep building and upgrading? Then they decide to nuke Western Europe and the US. Who's going to defend against them. This isn't a schoolyard fight and just walk away from a bully. You have to stand up to him, and he has to know that if he starts a fight he is going to plenty bloody.

---------------------------------------- I am PRO NUKE , they are the great equalizer . Bombs in Japan saved hundred of thousands of American lives that didn't have to invade Japan and nukes may one day be needed again . ALSO , I lived through the 50s , 60s and since then as an American . I just want to say that I was never terrified or even worried about nukes or nuke war . Just a response in reply to DDRiver

I never said that "I" was particularly terrified, but with the cold war heating up, nukes in Cuba, and Khrushchev's bluster it could have gone very bad, very quickly.

????? So instead we should have said " OK, great! Have at it!". Then what? They keep building and upgrading? Then they decide to nuke Western Europe and the US. Who's going to defend against them. This isn't a schoolyard fight and just walk away from a bully. You have to stand up to him, and he has to know that if he starts a fight he is going to plenty bloody.

No on Twitter...

Like I said perhaps Puttin is just looking for a new Power game to play. Trump needs to shut down his Twitter.

No on Twitter...

Like I said perhaps Puttin is just looking for a new Power game to play. Trump needs to shut down his Twitter.

Neither Trump nor Putin wants conflict. Nothing will come of this.

---------------------------------------------------------------- oh man , an addiction counselor , nothing else needs be said EWings !!

Why Pismoe?
------------------------------------------ why WHAT EWings ??

Why do you say it makes sense because I am an addiction Counselor ...
--------------------------------------------- just my opinion that counselors and counseling are a waste of time and money EWings !!

Many with years of recovery and productive lives will disagree with you, addiction counseling may have save them Pismoe...

I find studying the brain to be fascinating.

We do things without realizing its out of our control in the subconscious part of the brain... Things our ancestors did perhaps.
But if it is something that we need to change , we stay focused in the conscious part of the brain and change our thought pattern a bad habit can be changed.

I don't know, EW. I have been sober for over 20 years and got that way without AA f an addictions counselor. I figured out on my own that stopping drinking didn't cure the disease, but changing the way I saw, and Reacting to, things would. I didn't successfully accomplish it on my own. I got help from family and friends, and a realy good woman allowed me into her life.

A bit of background. I am a bit more familiar with Psychology than the average person in that I spent 2 years working toward a BA in Industrial/Organizational Psychology in the mid 90's, and I originally did see a counselor at the end of my drinking/beginning of my recovery. I was old enough that my political ideology was set, and I found it nearly impossible to accept the leftist bent concerning therapy, and Psychology in general.

I believe that Therapy is generally only successful if one is open to the liberal concept that it's "not all my fault".

I never said that "I" was particularly terrified, but with the cold war heating up, nukes in Cuba, and Khrushchev's bluster it could have gone very bad, very quickly.
--------------------------------------------------------- never concerned me , I lived through all of it but guys like my Father were in charge so nothing to worry about . I just figured that the USA would kick some azz if we had to but that was back in the 50s , 60s and 70s when men where still men . Been going downhill since especially with mrobama that bows to arab muslims . Might be improving as with the election of the TRUMP men may be back in style .

--------------------------------------------------------- never concerned me , I lived through all of it but guys like my Father were in charge so nothing to worry about . I just figured that the USA would kick some azz if we had to but that was back in the 50s , 60s and 70s when men where still men . Been going downhill since especially with mrobama that bows to arab muslims . Might be improving as with the election of the TRUMP men may be back in style .

I was in my pre-teens during the Cuban missile crisis and listening with my dad to the nightly news was disconcerting. We lived in a steel mill city and near two large military bases (the Air Force Academy and Fort Carson) and it was believed in the area that because of that we were targets. While I wasn't frightened, per se, I was concerned and aware.

Forum List

Back