Are you good at fixing things ??

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I suck and I have always admired folks who can repair complex things !!
I think it all starts with having a father who excels on that
I never did ..and I could not fix a damn thing

I have meet guys who spend weeks doing all kinds of jobs because they enjoy the challenge

Yes, and actually its because i had a dad that sucked at it.

Guy cut every corner he could. Every job was a disaster.

I learned what not to do from watching that guy. Lol.

Wow !! From the 1st 2 replies I think we've discovered an important fact about family relations and predicting who can rebuild a toilet and who cannot..

Probably if you're dad was expecting too much interest from a sub teen about hardware and power tools and "doing it right" -- it just might sour the whole thing.. For the record -- Dads are RARELY having a lot of fun fixing stuff around the house and kids pick up on that...

Or rather they enjoy the RESULTS -- but from the outside -- LOOKS like they are being punished into doing the jobs.. LOL...

who can rebuild a toilet and who cannot.
Rebuild a toilet? I've fixed plenty of toilets, but I've never called it a rebuild. WTF?
LOL

Yeah, I was just thinking that its been a while since I've thrown some porcelain on the wheel and built a toilet.

I think he meant things like fixing the flapper thingie with the stem that feeds the water and has the chain to the handle. It's all magic to Me so I don't know.

Rebuild a toilet? I've fixed plenty of toilets, but I've never called it a rebuild. WTF?
LOL

Yeah, I was just thinking that its been a while since I've thrown some porcelain on the wheel and built a toilet.

I think he meant things like fixing the flapper thingie with the stem that feeds the water and has the chain to the handle. It's all magic to Me so I don't know.
Bwild Bwack Bedda

I'm pretty good at most everything like that, but one thing I did pick up from my pop was mumbling, sht, fk, gdmit, fkity fk, motherbleeper, cock fkr mother flopper blah blah blah the whole time.

But I never have any punch list to do. I think it's just a habit.

lol.

I suck and I have always admired folks who can repair complex things !!
I think it all starts with having a father who excels on that
I never did ..and I could not fix a damn thing

I have meet guys who spend weeks doing all kinds of jobs because they enjoy the challenge
you don't need a father to teach you that kind of stuff.

My father was a deadbeat who died a raging alcoholic when I was 8. I taught myself how to do everything.

I can wire and plumb a house, tear down a small engine do most repairs on a car etc.

So if you want to learn you can learn.

Wow !! From the 1st 2 replies I think we've discovered an important fact about family relations and predicting who can rebuild a toilet and who cannot..

Probably if you're dad was expecting too much interest from a sub teen about hardware and power tools and "doing it right" -- it just might sour the whole thing.. For the record -- Dads are RARELY having a lot of fun fixing stuff around the house and kids pick up on that...

Or rather they enjoy the RESULTS -- but from the outside -- LOOKS like they are being punished into doing the jobs.. LOL...

Actually, I like doing stuff. Small jobs or big ones. I've redone bathrooms, kitchens, ran plumbing, electrical and gas, reworked ceiling lighting schemes in rooms, put in a dock, wired up electrical and installed sprinker systems outside, built a slide for the kid's pool this summer that was killer. Just about anything. Helped my brother last weekend dig up and fix a broken water line from his well into his house.

Funny story is that it isn't me doing a lot of this work. I plan it, normally CAD out the drawings for more complex jobs, develop a BOM, watch a couple of Youtube videos to make sure I'm not missing something, and get the materials.

After that Contractor Billy takes over. He does the vast majority of the work.

Contractor Billy drinks Miller beer pretty much endlessly and works until the beer or the light runs out. Even my wife at this point is aware of this phenomenon and calls this alter ego Contractor Billy; and when she wants something done she stocks the fridge.

The man cannot be stopped, as long as the beer holds out....

Lol.

A "fix" is when you need just a flapper or a handle chain.. A REBUILD is when ya got the tank off to replace the drain tube and discover the gaskets have all gone crumbly.. Everything new in the tank.. The right way to do it... :biggrin:

I work in construction and that requires a lot of overlapping skills. Part carpenter, part mechanic and the ability to install anything with a half decent set of instructions in fine print, of course.
Keep up the maintenance on a couple snowmobiles, boat and my vehicle rarely sees a garage or dealership. If there is a YouTube video and I have the tools, I will take it on. Has saved me thousands of dollars.
Just had to replace a broken torsion spring on the garage door. Simple Simon.

Forum List

Back