Are you a Christian?

How do you define your religious beliefs?

• Total voters
gop_jeff said:
Andy, if that's the case, you could ask how often the Christian members of the board attend services.

And I was trying to keep this fairly simple - the sample group here is not really large enough that any further differentiation would be statistically useful. The questions I posed are more than enough for the limited group size, which is not blind/random nor particularly scientific in the first place.

Either you practice regularly - go to church, read the bible, pray nightly, etc. - or you don't practice, but still identify as Christian.

A

CivilLiberty said:
I'm curious about the spectrum of religious beliefs on US Message Boards, especially for those that post in the Politics and USA Chat areas.

The subject of religion comes up alot, so I'm curious about the various beliefs held here by members.

Regards,

Andy

I consider myself "born-again", yet I never attend Church as I believe that most of today's churches have been perverted and do not really teach as much as they solicit for money and try to be all things to all people. Not all Church's are bad I am sure, but I believe that by studying the Bible myself and not having some "preacher" tell me how to interpet it, I will learn more and in a more accurate manner. I stronly believe that Christ will return as he said and I also strongly believe that based on scriptures and prophecies, it is likely to happen soon. Sure, all through history people have been saying this, but never before have so many prophecies been fulfilled. The most important ones, in my opinion, being the return of Jews to Israel and the most recent alliances between Russia and both Syria and Iran.

freeandfun1 said:
I consider myself "born-again", yet I never attend Church as I believe that most of today's churches have been perverted and do not really teach as much as they solicit for money and try to be all things to all people. Not all Church's are bad I am sure, but I believe that by studying the Bible myself and not having some "preacher" tell me how to interpet it, I will learn more and in a more accurate manner.

For those that this is apparently lost on - I am making a distinction between "practicing" and "non practicing but identify as".

If you do your own regular bible study, pray regularly, etc, this makes you "practicing" - you are attending church regularly, and that church is in your home.

In your case, you should click "born again".

A

CivilLiberty said:
In your case, you should click "born again".

I did as indicated in the first 5 word. I guess you have a reading problem. I just pointed out that I do not attend or belong to any Church as I do not at all consider my own a "House of Worship".

freeandfun1 said:
I did as indicated in the first 5 word. I guess you have a reading problem. I just pointed out that I do not attend or belong to any Church as I do not at all consider my own a "House of Worship".

And I was pointing out that I was just conccerned about "practicing" or not, the "attend church" bit in parenthetical was misread by some.

A

:banana2:

CivilLiberty said:
And I was pointing out that I was just conccerned about "practicing" or not, the "attend church" bit in parenthetical was misread by some.

A

:banana2:

gotcha

Civil, I rewrote the survey, just for fun and :poke:
Hope you don't think it's biased :D

How Do You Define Your Beliefs?
1. Atheist, Humanist, or Satanist Secularian
2. Non-Atheist Secularian but attends group meetings regularly
3. Identifies as Secularian, but non-practicing (rarely or never attends group meetings)
4. Non-Secularian, but spiritual or has a belief system other than Secularism
5. Religious, including Christian, Jew, and Muslim

CivilLiberty said:
Then you are misinterpreting the questions. I want a break down of practicing vs non-practicing. That's the data I WANT, and as such that should be clear.

A

Looks more like you are trying to formulate the questions to get the RESULTS you want. Is this a hypocrite hunt ?

If it is a hypocrite hunt, I volunteer up front that I am a hypocrite. That was the entire point of the need for Christ to die on the cross for OUR sins. Every man sins and will continue to sin, so Christ gave HIS life for OUR salvation. Every man is a hypocrite because every man sins - even those that know it is wrong.

dilloduck said:
Looks more like you are trying to formulate the questions to get the RESULTS you want. Is this a hypocrite hunt ?

More than one hypocrite hunt going on here. ;)

ScreamingEagle said:
Civil, I rewrote the survey, just for fun and :poke:
Hope you don't think it's biased :D

How Do You Define Your Beliefs?
1. Atheist, Humanist, or Satanist Secularian
2. Non-Atheist Secularian but attends group meetings regularly
3. Identifies as Secularian, but non-practicing (rarely or never attends group meetings)
4. Non-Secularian, but spiritual or has a belief system other than Secularism
5. Religious, including Christian, Jew, and Muslim

Not, it's not biased - it is designed to categorize the levels/kind of secularists.

I wasn't interested in the breakdown of the secularists here - I was interested in the breakdown of the Christians here.

Andy

dilloduck said:

No, this is not a hypocrite hunt.

I wasn't interested in the breakdown of the secularists here - I was interested in the breakdown of the Christians here.

Considering that the majority here are Christian, this is reasonable. I could have added a further breakdown for the non Christians, but that didn't seem warranted.

:banana:

A

CivilLiberty said:
Not, it's not biased - it is designed to categorize the levels/kind of secularists.

Andy

If that (the breakdown of Christians) was your purpose, then you should have STATED that instead of giving misleading general heading of polling for different religious beliefs from the general populace. Otherwise the whole poll is misleading in purpose.

Also, I still think your questions 1,2,3 are confusing and misleading (even in the Secularian-biased poll). You seem to be trying to push people into YOUR preconceived categories.

manu1959 said:
your poll would indicate your inital assumptions were wrong....who woulda guessed ... CL wrong again

Nope, my poll so far proves I'm right. 56% christian as of right now. That is the majority. I stated that the majority here were Christian.

Get a calculator or learn math before making these statements.

A

ScreamingEagle said:
If that (the breakdown of Christians) was your purpose, then you should have STATED that instead of giving misleading general heading of polling for different religious beliefs from the general populace

Dude, the title of the thread is "are you a Christian". That means he wants to know about the beliefs of CHRISTIANS. If he'd say "what religion are you" and then put 4 different kinds of Christians and then "other" it would have been misleading. You Christians are so damn sensitive :rolleyes:

CivilLiberty said:
Nope, my poll so far proves I'm right. 56% christian as of right now. That is the majority. I stated that the majority here were Christian.

Get a calculator or learn math before making these statements.

A

an arrogant know it all...how proud your mum must be

In my opinion, to determine if somebody is a "Christian" or not, you should ask the question this way:

"Believes that Christ gave his life for our sins and accepts that only through Christ is eternal salvation possible".

Identifes as Christian, but non-practicing

I would guess that "non-practicing" means they do not accept the tenants of Christianity as expressed in the suggested "revised" question above. Therefore, I am not sure if you could count "non-practicing Christians" as "Christians".

(I took out the "rarely attends church" as one can be 100% Christian without attending a Church).

Forum List

Back