Are we programmed to be ethnocentrist?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Tramps and Thieves, A Real Gypsy Pay-off
I just wonder if we are kind to kindred? Or we can overcome that? Id like to think I'm not ethnocentrist but trying to be universally just but often we are defensive because our ethnic group is a extension of ourselves and who we are we feel personally attacked and often we indeed are if someone doesn't like our ancestry he doesn't like us and attacks us so it is difficult to be unbiased but I try to be.

I would say no. We are naturally wired to be tribalists for survival.

If the Greeks for example were ethnocentrists then they would have never learned from African civilizations.

People like and are more comfortable being around people like themselves.

It's neither right nor wrong....It just is.
Some people don't like people who are too much like themselves maybe because they are self haters but maybe they think of themselves as unique and don't like if there is a second similar as the class clown does not want a second class clown

Some people don't like people who are too much like themselves maybe because they are self haters but maybe they think of themselves as unique and don't like if there is a second similar as the class clown does not want a second class clown
I was speaking of general populations, not individuals.

Within all populations you have conservatives that are afraid of their own shadow and hold back the group from advancing.

Within all populations you have conservatives that are afraid of their own shadow and hold back the group from advancing.
Grow the fuck up and quit derailing, asswipe.

Dont get emotional and I am not derailing. I am pointing out the glaring error in your comment shithead.

Dont get emotional and I am not derailing. I am pointing out the glaring error in your comment shithead.
The topic is entnicities, not political affiliations, asshole....Now quit derailing the thread.

I agree with you it is a general thumbrule

The topic is entnicities, not political affiliations, asshole....Now quit derailing the thread.
Who said anything about politics you retard? In every population you have people that are conservative and others that wish to advance. Now get your ass back on the topic and stop whining about my posts you are too stupid to understand.

The conservatives of any given groups are afraid and tend to lash out in often senseless defensiveness.

However, not all people are like that.

I just wonder if we are kind to kindred? Or we can overcome that? Id like to think I'm not ethnocentrist but trying to be universally just but often we are defensive because our ethnic group is a extension of ourselves and who we are we feel personally attacked and often we indeed are if someone doesn't like our ancestry he doesn't like us and attacks us so it is difficult to be unbiased but I try to be.

We are definitely much more culturally sensitive than sensitive to genetic differences

We evolved in places where we basically all looked the same. We are not equipped to have some antipathy for other phenotypes.

White only saw white

Black black

Something like language or even a uniform can easily flip who is the in and out group. Making race next to meaningless

I do NOT know whether human beings are "ethnocentric."

But I DO know that many a person has discovered that some of the nicest and most helpful people that one meets in this brief nightmare called life are not of the same ethnicity.

And some of the nastiest are of the same ethnicity.

Forum List

Back