Zone1 Are There Prophets Around Today?

Success is defined as producing the desired result.

So if a mad megalomaniacal President wants to start a Third World War — maybe because he’s old and dying and does not want to go out alone, or because he knows he will be jailed and spend the rest of his life in prison — if he “succeeds” in starting a nuclear Holocaust … that should be considered a successful Presidency?

You have a vey amoral viewpoint there for a religious guy!

The real point here is that one man’s “prophet” out to save us is another man’s destructive and amoral, nihilistic politician. Magnify the “one man” by scores of millions and you see this is no minor philosophic issue in the real world existing today, this is the real difficulty we face in choosing leaders, let alone the problem in identifying “prophets.”

So if a mad megalomaniacal President wants to start a Third World War — maybe because he’s old and dying and does not want to go out alone, or because he knows he will be jailed and spend the rest of his life in prison — if he “succeeds” in starting a nuclear Holocaust … that should be considered a successful Presidency?

You have a vey amoral viewpoint there for a religious guy!
Trying to define rules through exception is sign of being intentionally obtuse.

So if you will set down your straw man, it's pretty self evident that people's behaviors affects their "production." Like I was telling another poster, large companies test new hires to see if they are a producer or not. I'm really surprised that you don't believe that people's behaviors affects their outcomes. I'm also surprised you held up Trump as an example of someone who you consider successful.

Yours is a true but very conventional argument. Of course in normal affairs of life … “people’s behaviors affects their outcomes”!

The problem is the OP and comments seem to be looking “for prophecy in the modern world,” a world where many are convinced the world is collapsing and the normal rules have been turned on their head. The linking of morality or “proper conduct” or “virtue” to “success” has little serious appeal for many today, as most know hypocrisy and and a ruthless desire fo get ahead (more money and power) is the real name of the game. Hard working people see themselves taken advantage of by a powerful system that seems to reward psychopaths.

This situation is the real one we face. It is deeply upsetting for those who see the world this way. I personally don’t think it will prove at all helpful to look to God or any God-sent prophet to get people out of this hopeless mindset so many find themselves in.

Last edited:
The real point here is that one man’s “prophet” out to save us is another man’s destructive and amoral, nihilistic politician. Magnify the “one man” by scores of millions and you see this is no minor philosophic issue in the real world existing today, this is the real difficulty we face in choosing leaders, let alone the problem in identifying “prophets.”
Whereas it came off as you arguing Trump was successful.

I think my opinion of Donald Trump is pretty well known. I am trying to have a conversation at a higher level than the mere party / political.

Yours is a true but very conventional argument. Of course in normal affairs of life … “people’s behaviors affects their outcomes”!

The problem is the OP and comments seems to looking “for prophecy in the modern world,” a world where many are convinced the world is collapsing and the normal rules have been turned on their head. The linking of morality or “proper conduct” or “virtue” to “success” has little serious appeal for many today, as most know hypocrisy and and a ruthless desire fo get ahead (more money and power) is the real name of the game. Hard working people see themselves taken advantage of by a powerful system that seems to reward psychopaths.

This situation is the real one we face, It is deeply upsetting for those who see the world this way. I personally don’t think it will prove at all helpful to look to God or any God-sent prophet to get people out of this hopeless mindset they seem to find themselves in
It's always helpful to look to God. Especially in times of trouble. I know that rubs you the wrong way but it's been extremely successful for me. Now do I worry about a dogmatic prophecy? I don't waste my time on it other than to say the common thread in all prophecies was what I have always mentioned.

I think my opinion of Donald Trump is pretty well known. I am trying to have a conversation at a higher level than the mere party / political.
Then you probably shouldn't have used him as an example of success when you didn't see him as successful. Especially since the conversation was about how behaviors affect outcomes and not about politics.

Actually, ding , I worded my argument so “Trump” could be easily seen as replaceable by Biden or others (if that is one’s preference). I do not agree that the OP topic and most commenters are so interested in your comments about behaviors effecting outcome, though perhaps they should be.

Hey look, another ding strawman.

Though, admittedly, that's much more mature and intelligent than simply crediting an invisible sky daddy.
Given your communication style and posting history, I don't think you should be commenting on anyone's maturity or intelligence.

But my statement was the logical conclusion of your dismissal of my "prophecy." If you don't believe what I said then you must believe that outcomes are based on random luck.

Actually, ding , I worded my argument so “Trump” could be easily seen as replaceable by Biden or others (if that is one’s preference). I do not agree that the OP topic and most commenters are so interested in your comments about behaviors effecting outcome, though perhaps they should be.
I don't care if others are interested in my comments. And you shouldn't be either. You must have missed my point. My belief is that most of the prophecies in the Bible are ultimately about Jews either forgetting God's ways, paying lip service to God's ways, or about how returning to God's ways will lead to glory. I can't think of a better prophecy that is more relevant to people's lives than behaviors affect outcomes.

Sure but we live in a logical universe where every cause had an effect. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that people - or persons - who do the right thing, the right way for the right reason will be happier and as a result more successful than those that don't.
Some times people make the right decision and get a bad result.

Yes, there are prophets around today....false prophets. Jesus never said there would be any more prophets of God. All he said is "Beware of false prophets". Jesus is the last prophet of God.

Yes, there are prophets around today....false prophets. Jesus never said there would be any more prophets of God. All he said is "Beware of false prophets". Jesus is the last prophet of God.
Agibus was a prophet in the New Testament after Christ.

Forum List

Back