Are there any Chefs here, or has anyone been to cooking school?

I am pondering going to cooking school. I'll be retiring in 3 years and I want to do something completely different. Something fun and I like to cook already.

I'm not thinking about becoming a chef, too much work and I'm going to be retired. I just want to be able to create dishes of my own. I want to learn what to do if my dish contains say, cauliflower. What kind of spices go well with that or what meats or other vegetables.

Anyone here able to do that now?
One of the first things to do is get the Joy of Cooking cookbook. It is an incredible guide on all things cooking. Like an encyclopedia for cooking.

Isn't it just recipes?
Not at all. Tells you what spices are, their interactions with foods, substitutions, you name it. Read this link. It is over a thousand pages of knowledge in cooking.
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer

I have an old HARDCOPY of that book----it includes a recipe for
BEAR------starting from the warm dead body. I think "possum"
too.
They keep updating it periodically, too, without losing its awesomeness. Just making it even more awesome each time.

I've not had that problem of cilantro tasting like soap but I guess everyone has their thing.

For me, it's fresh peaches taste like gasoline...….but add some cream & sugar, or canned and their great. I love peaches....just not plain fresh

The Cilantro=Soap thing is a specific genetic trait found in some people.

I don't have it, but my Brother in law does.

pray for your nieces and nephews. I have a thing against something in
Licorice, anise, fennel I think its glycolic acid----but don't quote me

Cilantro can be replaced with other herbs, parsley as an example.

blasphemer----parsley is to cilantro what paprika is to cayenne

You lack vision.

my cones is fine (retina) -----parsley is DECORATIVE GREEN----
cilantro is-------taste. Always remember the chefs who say
"for color" ---------it means "ok to leave it out". However I have done
salads with LOTS of parsley----(when mom grew it abundantly) and it does
work as a "thing" sorta

I am pondering going to cooking school. I'll be retiring in 3 years and I want to do something completely different. Something fun and I like to cook already.

I'm not thinking about becoming a chef, too much work and I'm going to be retired. I just want to be able to create dishes of my own. I want to learn what to do if my dish contains say, cauliflower. What kind of spices go well with that or what meats or other vegetables.

You need to pick up this book.
It's full of good info.
flavor-bible-horiz-a-1800.jpg

blasphemer----parsley is to cilantro what paprika is to cayenne

You lack vision.

my cones is fine (retina) -----parsley is DECORATIVE GREEN----
cilantro is-------taste. Always remember the chefs who say
"for color" ---------it means "ok to leave it out". However I have done
salads with LOTS of parsley----(when mom grew it abundantly) and it does
work as a "thing" sorta

You have to use the Italian parsley.

Cooking is a blast. It'sd not enough to keep you occupieds thoug. Might I suggest adding, fishing,musdhroom hunting, ands animal hunting along with the cooking. They all kinds of go together. There is a youtube video on any dsish you wanna try. Some advice I can give you is take goods records on how you change recipes to your own liking. I created some pretty goods dishes that I coulds not reprodsuce due to poor record keeping.,

Growing as much as you can is important as well for the best flavors. I grow everything I possibly can that isn't so fussy I can't ignore it for a week or two at a time if need be.
Esdpecially spices, they are crazy expensive and nothing better than fresh spices. Further more if you grow it you know how it was grown and what is actually going into your body.

Sure when possible. For some reason the flavor on my home grown oregano has been off the last few years. It has some odd citrus tone to it. I am not sure why. Things like rosemary are fairly easy to grow and propagate. I have probably given away 50 rosemary plants in the last 5 years just from pruning them back and starting the plants. Some things I can and have grown I just stopped because I didn't really like them like cilantro.

cilantro grows VERY EASILY-----people who find it tastes like SOAP----
are MUTANTS------the cilantro aversion is a genetic recessive trait. ----
based on a mutation of a single base pair (I think) Anyone else in the
family so afflicted? You would not survive in my house

Evolution requires we mutants get ahead of you Neanderthal 2.0's for the survival of humanity. :10:

Yes my youngest sister thinks it does as well.

whaddya mean no cilantro???

gotta have cilantro in fresh salsa, street tacos, even in wonton soup.

stop, you're making me hungry and I need to sleep

I am one of those people for whom the aldehydes leave cilantro tasting like soap ergo I do not grow it or use it in my home cooking.

I've not had that problem of cilantro tasting like soap but I guess everyone has their thing.

For me, it's fresh peaches taste like gasoline...….but add some cream & sugar, or canned and their great. I love peaches....just not plain fresh

Substituting ingredients or adding more in is what makes a dish memorable.

I am one of those people for whom the aldehydes leave cilantro tasting like soap ergo I do not grow it or use it in my home cooking.

Substituting ingredients or adding more in is what makes a dish memorable.
YUP !

pics_giant-bacon-sandwich-wild-turkey.jpg

I suggest you try the Trump School of Cooking method. Squirt Ketchup, and mustard on the bun, add a pickle slice, and wrap it in paper. You can't go wrong.

It must be awful to live in a world where all you see is the faces of those you hate...

trump_faces_0.jpg

You can't even talk about food without thinking of him.

I went through the Cook/Chef program at a technical college in the 80's. Worked in many high end restaurants in the Twin Cities.
Did that until I was 30 and became a carpenter.
Hated the restaurant industry as that was nothing but working nights and weekends.
Despite dealing with inclement weather I much prefer construction and being outside. What I build will last far after I am gone, what I cooked was usually crapped out the next day.

There is a cookbook that was recommended here that I got for my kid that has what spices go well with what. I can't remember who posted it.

I didn't go to school to become a chef or take any cooking class. Everything that I learn is painful. I would take those short term cooking classes. Later, if I retire, I wouldn't mind opening my own restaurant. There is/was a restaurant in Key West called Moe's. It was owned by a brother and sister that were French. They would shut down for about 6 weeks and go back to France or take a vacation. They had 2-3 different main dishes a night.A couple of soups. It was a small menu. They were off the beaten track and they were awesome. I would do it like that.

Just sayin, you don't need to go to cooking school to become an outstanding chef.
Consider, Bobby Flay... a very successful chef/restaurateur and iron chef winner has been beat multiple times by home cooks.
I find experienced home cooks out perform restaurant food hands down.
I sure do. It isn't even close. The food I make is only beat by the best of restaurants.

Just sayin, you don't need to go to cooking school to become an outstanding chef.
Consider, Bobby Flay... a very successful chef/restaurateur and iron chef winner has been beat multiple times by home cooks.
I sure do. It isn't even close. The food I make is only beat by the best of restaurants.

If you enjoy cooking and the challenge it represents you cant help but be good at it.
The Wife has a friend who decided she wanted to learn how to cook,she's terrible at it by the way,her problem is she has a preconceived notion on what she likes and will change the recipe based on her supposed taste.
Of course this usually fails.
She wanted to learn how to make a perfect steak so we bought her a Thermoworks thermometer and instructions on how to reverse sear a steak. She doesnt like rare or medium steaks so she over cooked it and couldnt figure out why it was tough and tasteless.

If you enjoy cooking and the challenge it represents you cant help but be good at it.
The Wife has a friend who decided she wanted to learn how to cook,she's terrible at it by the way,her problem is she has a preconceived notion on what she likes and will change the recipe based on her supposed taste.
She wanted to learn how to make a perfect steak so we bought her a Thermoworks thermometer and instructions on how to reverse sear a steak. She doesnt like rare or medium steaks so she over cooked it and couldnt figure out why it was tough and tasteless.

Haha... reminds me of my mother. She has asked me many times over the years how do I make a chicken breast so juicy, how is my pork chops so tender etc. etc.
First and foremost you have to love cooking. There is a HUGE difference in a meal when cooked by someone who cooked out of love vs. cooked out of necessity... just need to feed the family.
I make chicken pot pie occasionally, and have been asked a number of times over the years how do i make it this good. I tell them, then the first thing they say "I don't have time to do that...I don't have time to get fresh ingredients etc. ... you know... how many hours a day to you watch television again?
Cooking well is not that hard, but like anything else you want to do well... you have to want to do it.

Haha... reminds me of my mother. She has asked me many times over the years how do I make a chicken breast so juicy, how is my pork chops so tender etc. etc.
First and foremost you have to love cooking. There is a HUGE difference in a meal when cooked by someone who cooked out of love vs. cooked out of necessity... just need to feed the family.
I make chicken pot pie occasionally, and have been asked a number of times over the years how do i make it this good. I tell them, then the first thing they say "I don't have time to do that...I don't have time to get fresh ingredients etc. ... you know... how many hours a day to you watch television again?
Cooking well is not that hard, but like anything else you want to do well... you have to want to do it.

I love getting in over my head!!!
I spent days gathering my ingredients and cookware for a Demi Glace recipe. From beef and lamb bones for the marrow to the size pot needed with a pour spout on the bottom.
I got the the recipe from "The Saucier's Apprentice" after gathering all the ingredients and cookware it took almost another four days to make it.
Man was I nervous when it came to tasting after all that work!!

Turned out fantastic!!!
Froze a bunch of it into cubes then vac packed them into usable portions.

My best friend little brother wen to c.i.a upstate ny ...on of the best culinary schools on the planet does that count?...derp
Go for it ...I'm sure yoU can probably find some local courses near you .

Isnt it great to be able to do whatever ya want just for the sheer enjoyment of it .
I'm going back to work at a greenhouse nursery in the spring ....cause I wanna ...I seem to have a natural green thumb always have ...doing it for some learnins and cause I enjoy it...

One of the first things to do is get the Joy of Cooking cookbook. It is an incredible guide on all things cooking. Like an encyclopedia for cooking.

Isn't it just recipes?
Not at all. Tells you what spices are, their interactions with foods, substitutions, you name it. Read this link. It is over a thousand pages of knowledge in cooking.
No one who takes the time to read the intro to the sections and follows directions can fail. The book that taught me to cook half way decently.

Yes I do.
I had to learn how to cook high protein meats and what spices were good to go with each type of meat.

I took this cooking course three years ago at;
Online Courses & Lectures for Home Study and Lifelong Learning
It's worth it and it's on sale right now.
Link
The Everyday Gourmet: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Cooking

Isn't it just recipes?
No one who takes the time to read the intro to the sections and follows directions can fail. The book that taught me to cook half way decently.
I still will run to it on occasion 30 something years later.

HereWeGoAgain

Forum List

Back