Are our rights Innate, or priveledges from the State?

From where do our rights originate?

• I am a Progressive: The State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a Republican: The State

• I am a Constitutuionalist/Libertiaran: The State

• Total voters
And their perception of it was different so they ended up with different sorts of "rights" than what we consider "rights" today. Hence my point.

All rights that exist in harmony with the Non-Agression Principle have never wavered in their perception --- ever.

Any "right" that does not exist in harmony with the Non-Agression Principle is not a right at all, it's abuse of a person, in exchange for the benefit of another. These are the "rights today" that you mentioned.

And their perception of it was different so they ended up with different sorts of "rights" than what we consider "rights" today. Hence my point.

All rights that exist in harmony with the Non-Agression Principle have never wavered in their perception --- ever.

Any "right" that does not exist in harmony with the Non-Agression Principle is not a right at all, it's abuse of a person, in exchange for the benefit of another. These are the "rights today" that you mentioned.

You pointed out the exception, not the rule. People have a predisposition towards not killing each other, and that's definitely a good thing. However:

Freedom of speech.
Freedom to bear arms.
Right to a speedy and fair trial.
Right to remain silent.
Right to privacy.

These are all unalienable rights as we perceive them today. Many past civilizations had none of that. How are these "natural and innate rights" that are "unalienable" truly innate if most people really had no concept of it and it wasn't represented in law at all?

It's society that determines what rights are, no matter how you slice it.

I don't think I'm being as clear as I want to be here.

The idea of human rights changes over time. The idea of what rights humans have change over time.

They cannot be innate if they change. But they also aren't necessarily state-granted, since people can recognize a right that the state does not recognize. It is all about contemporary social perception.

I don't think I'm being as clear as I want to be here.

The idea of human rights changes over time. The idea of what rights humans have change over time.

They cannot be innate if they change. But they also aren't necessarily state-granted, since people can recognize a right that the state does not recognize. It is all about contemporary social perception.
The idea changes. The rights don't.

Freedom of speech, for example. Four thousand years ago, when someone speaking poorly of his government was silenced against his will, would he not have been as coerced as an American today would be if he were silenced likewise?

Coercion and suppression are impediments to human behavior. Positive law is in opposition to the state of nature.

All morality is based on the human ability to be empathetic and our desire to create the world we think should exist. Rights are just an extension of that.

What's your point? Regardless of whether rights are "God-given", without a State to ensure them they aren't anything but wishful thinking.

This is almost a Chicken and the Egg type of question.

Jefferson used some spiritual rhetoric in the opening of the declaration "Laws of Nature" "Creator" (sounds like 12-Step language, a higher power of your own understanding) Then TJ specifically says "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,"

That says that Government secures the rights. But also keep in mind, these were upper class businessmen and wealthy landowners, who wanted to make sure their new Government secured their property, their wealth, and their slaves.

The last offense listed by TJ was: He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

As much as we hold the Founders in high regard, don't be fooled, they were wealthy men who wanted to be left alone to make more wealth for themselves. The new government they set up would be designed to benefit them over the working class.

America was founded on a redistribution of wealth (land and property) and power (monarchy). -- Distributed to the land owners who put themselves in charge.

They cannot be innate if they change.

This assumes that rights only exist inasmuch as humans perceive them.
Rights, insofar as they are perceived under the republic, are an extension of self-ownership. As such, they depend upon nobody else to perform anything for them to exist.

For example, self-ownership begets my right to speak for myself. That does not, by extension, impose an obligation upon anyone to listen to me or provide me with a printing press, radio station or a cable access program.

Yeah, Cicero was an imaginary phantom.

Oh yeah, forgot about Cicero. Durr.

Even then, besides Cicero, no one really had a concept of natural rights. It's a social idea.

Not to mention that everyone has different ideas on what those supposed "natural rights" are; some people believe in freedom of speech, some don't, some people believe in freedom to bear arms, some don't, some believe in freedom to keep slaves, some don't, etc. etc. etc.

Do you kind of see my point? Rights are really determined by social trends and public opinion at any given time.
Natural rights derive from the natural law, a term Plato used well before Cicero. The Romans articulated the principle, gave it its own vocabulary, made it a "school," but the Greeks had already become conscious of the principle.

The concept, though not always articulated - certainly not committed to parchment - is much older. The Hebrews exercised such principles in their own way, recognizing, for example, the right of people to acquire property and defend it and themselves and their own with weapons.

Actually, the founders greatest influence, when it came to notions of individual liberty and construction of this brilliant experiment we call the US government were the Six Nations.

Unfortunately, many of the key features that enabled the Great Law of Peace to work for hundreds of years is not compatible with materialism, unchecked growth and the other hallmarks of a post industrial society. Thus the rights of the individual and their contribution to their own sovereignty will be lost.
http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/liberty-in-perfection-freedom-in-native-american-thought#axzz2rHMkHnJv
Much of what has been learned of late about Amerindian political theory has been overshadowed by the multicultural debates surrounding history and education. Opponents of multicultural approaches fear that exploration into systems such as the Great Law of Peace will draw credit for the U.S. Constitution away from European antecedents. While few if any scholars claim sole Amerindian influence for the Constitution, Benjamin Franklin’s writings on the Albany Plan of Union, Thomas Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia, and other framers’ works make it clear that native American nations did indeed offer some inspiration.[9]

Read more: Liberty in Perfection: Freedom in Native American Thought : The Freeman : Foundation for Economic Education

Innate
Nor are they protected by the state, instead they require protection from the state.

Indeed. Seems like today, it is the "state" that is determined to relieve us of our God-given rights. And idiots, like those on this forum who seems giddy with excitement that they are attempting to do just that.

What's your point? Regardless of whether rights are "God-given", without a State to ensure them they aren't anything but wishful thinking.

Without a state, there would be no need to "ensure" them.

Without a state, you'd be pretty fucked.:eusa_whistle:
Without a STATE we'd have more Liberty, but Government is a necessary EVIL now isn't it?

YOU bow to the evil now don't you? AFRAID to live without it, aren't YOU?

I always baffle that so many people seem to fall under the misconception that all rights are created equal.

Without a state, there would be no need to "ensure" them.

Without a state, you'd be pretty fucked.:eusa_whistle:
Without a STATE we'd have more Liberty, but Government is a necessary EVIL now isn't it?

YOU bow to the evil now don't you? AFRAID to live without it, aren't YOU?

There is a difference between a State and a Tyranny.

When a State transforms into a Tyranny, it is the Duty of the People to overthrow it.

However, if a State has not yet transformed into a Tyranny, then to remove the State will result into a new and unrestrained tyranny (notice that I didn't capitalize tyranny at the end).

Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one: for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries BY A GOVERNMENT, which we might expect in a country WITHOUT GOVERNMENT, our calamity is heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer.

Who will enforce contracts when the State is removed? A party cannot be a judge of its own cause.

The enforcement of Contracts is the historical and "realistic" origin of Government. If Contracts have no confidence, then the economy falls. That is Government's only role in the economy, Enforcing Contracts.

That's why these Authoritarian scum, who operate under different names, like "Progressives" or "Keynasians" or whatever other title they choose, SUBVERT the role Government, to remove it from its proper role. They put Government in the business of DESIGNING contracts (under the eupehism "regulation" or some other shit), instead of enforcing them. Because once they CONTROL (authorty; authoritarian) the DESIGN of CONTRACTS, they CONTROL all of SOCIETY.

A more determined man could write a 4,000 page book on the above paragraph.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back