Are Ivy League Schools Worth It?

ScorpioRising007

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2015
Are Ivy League schools worth the money and hard work to get in?

I know one relative of mine who got a perfect 1600 on his GRE, but decided to get his PhD from a non Ivy League. He claims Ivy League schools are overrated, cost too much, and aren't worth the extra effort to get into. I also have a couple lawyers in the family that bash Ivy League schools and say they are overrrated.

Your thoughts?

50% of my high school advanced classmates agreed it was a waste of money and time at the Ivy League schools they attended.

For a working class person who strives for The Top, the wise thing to do is go to a good State school for undergrad and get a graduate degree from an Ivy. They actually like to admit people from "regular" schools.

Getting one's ultimate degree from an elite school is valuable, not only in securing a first position, but in one's later career as well. Nobody cares if you have a PhD from Penn State.

For a working class person who strives for The Top, the wise thing to do is go to a good State school for undergrad and get a graduate degree from an Ivy. They actually like to admit people from "regular" schools.

Getting one's ultimate degree from an elite school is valuable, not only in securing a first position, but in one's later career as well. Nobody cares if you have a PhD from Penn State.
They care a lot if it is Material Engineering or Material Science

It depends on who you talk to. I was informed by my relative the academic ability between an Ivy League and state college student is more noticeable at the undergraduate level. When looking at graduate level, the difference in academic ability is a lot smaller. His reasoning is the quality of the student at the graduate level would not be that much better at the Ivy League schools. Now I am not saying I agree with his argument, I am just saying what his opinion was. He is a pretty smart guy he got a perfect 1600 score on his GRE and holds a PhD. Often when he gives an opinion, I put a lot of weight to what he says.

They surveyed the 2022 graduates and 95% rated themselves as progressives.

Why would a sane employer want that drama in their workplace?
Because they are the literal ruling class. Federal judge, Fortune 1000 Company, Federal level nonprofit, they all hire from there.

I know one relative of mine who got a perfect 1600 on his GRE, but decided to get his PhD from a non Ivy League. He claims Ivy League schools are overrated, cost too much, and aren't worth the extra effort to get into. I also have a couple lawyers in the family that bash Ivy League schools and say they are overrrated.

Your thoughts?
No.

Your thoughts?
The sheepskin is worth it. The connections are worth it. What you can learn is about the same at any decent college.

Your thoughts?
If you want to have a political career or work for a "think tank", maybe the Ivy League sheepskin is worth it. Otherwise, no way.

Forum List

Back