Are Fireworks Appropriate on Memorial Day?

Are Fireworks Appropriate on Memorial Day?

• Total voters
Yeah, I'm sure the vets suffering from PTSD get a real kick out of such things.

Well I'd expect that sort of response from a bleeding heart Lib but I think the bulk of Americans are still patriotic and choose to honor our armed forces in a more traditional, American fashion.

Veterans Day on November 11th is the day to honor all Veterans who have served.

How about we honor Veterans every day of the year? Every day, that is, that we are afforded the liberties found in the Constitution? The liberties that our founders and subsequent soldiers fought and "died" for?

I have no problem with it. We're celebrating the lives of our soldiers ... not their deaths. We're remembering their courage, valor, and self-sacrifice. We're remembering the ones who died but also the ones who lived and are living. So I don't personally see fireworks as disrespectful at all.

Learn what Memorial means. It's not Pet a Living Vet day.

Not from a non-patriotic point of view perhaps but there are still lots of living families who lost loved ones during wartime. I certainly wouldn't mind someone honoring my brother or father for their sacrifice. Nevertheless, we're celebrating what many soldiers DID so that we could still live by a Constitution that protects our freedoms. That's worth celebrating.
You are celebrating those who DIED. Do you usually do that with fireworks just so you can enjoy blowing shit up?

Not from a non-patriotic point of view perhaps but there are still lots of living families who lost loved ones during wartime. I certainly wouldn't mind someone honoring my brother or father for their sacrifice. Nevertheless, we're celebrating what many soldiers DID so that we could still live by a Constitution that protects our freedoms. That's worth celebrating.
You are celebrating those who DIED. Do you usually do that with fireworks just so you can enjoy blowing shit up?

As long as there is a gathering in honor of the men who died then it doesn't matter one bit if some fireworks are set off. By the way ... have you ever heard of a 21 gun salute?

Did you hear some "explosions?" Genius!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I start, allow me to express my deepest gratitude to the men and women of the armed forces of the United States who have paid the highest price in the defense of our country. I would also like to express me condolences to the families of the men and women who have been killed in action and to tell them I am grateful and humbled by their sacrifice.

Now, on to the question I posed in the subject line. It's meant as a serious question.

I was driving last night when I saw fireworks in the distance. I can only assume it was for Memorial Day. Here's the thing. I've always interpreted fireworks as being part of a celebration. For example, we celebrate our Independence day on the 4th of July. It's wholly fitting and appropriate that we celebrate that day. But Memorial Day is not a day to celebrate ALL Veterans. (In the interest of full disclosure, I myself am a Veteran). It's a day to COMMEMORATE the men and women of the combined US armed forces who have fallen in battle or have been killed in a war zone. In other words, a celebration is different than a commemoration.

Thoughts?

It is the official unofficial kick off to summer. If they are shooting them off in remembrance of the fallen, probably not. If they are celebrating end of school/the start of the summer season, why not.

Yes, you're obviously broken up about it. LOL, what a douche.

Memorial day is just another excuse for stupid Americans to get drunk.
It sure is now. Just another day to pack up the kids and head to the beach.

I can't disagree.

For me it's a day to both remember those who died for my liberty and be thankful that coming from a military family no one paid that price. My brother, cousin, uncle, grandfather and great grandfather survived to live fruitful lives. And our many family friends in the military did the same.

Being a dick isn't telling the truth any more than being a homer is telling the truth. Though you are accurate in that you're a dick no matter the day.

Few people like the truth. Most will reject it, and be offended by it, like you.

"Offended" is totally the wrong word. I am looking down on you.
So do so. If you liked me, that would be a serious problem for me since I want nothing to do with your kind beyond this.

I give the cannon fodder and hired killers the respect they are do. For enforcing American foreign policy in countries half way around the world that we have no right to be in, they do okay at times.

I give the cannon fodder and hired killers the respect they are do. For enforcing American foreign policy in countries half way around the world that we have no right to be in, they do okay at times.

So that's the only purpose our military has served? At least you're being honest in your hatred now. I called that one...

So that's the only purpose our military has served? At least you're being honest in your hatred now. I called that one...
I don't hate what is necessary in this case. Their dying in large numbers is also necessary. I'm even fine paying for the ones who manage to make it back here. Learn to be rational instead of emotional.

I don't hate what is necessary in this case. Their dying in large numbers is also necessary. I'm even fine paying for the ones who manage to make it back here. Learn to be rational instead of emotional.

Damn, your lack of knowledge of the English language makes it painful to read your posts.

Memorial Day is for all US veterans. It's pathetic even for you that you can't put aside your partisan bitterness and bickering to just remember the people who died for our freedom instead of having to turn it into a chance for cheap political points to further the lie you were lied to.

As long as there is a gathering in honor of the men who died then it doesn't matter one bit if some fireworks are set off. By the way ... have you ever heard of a 21 gun salute?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS6aRmpTZvI]Memorial Day Tribute ~ 21 Gun Salute & Taps - YouTube[/ame]

Did you hear some "explosions?" Genius!

There is no solemn way to set off fireworks.

Speaking as a retired Navy veteran who has lost a couple of friends along the way, I think that setting off fireworks is alright if that's how you want to celebrate.

I mean.................having a barbecue and going to the beach aren't very solemn occasions, yet that is how many people celebrate.

Spend a little bit of time remembering those who have fallen so that the nation can remain free, and then celebrate that freedom by doing whatever you feel like, even if that means going to the beach and setting off fireworks.

I think the best way to remember those who have fallen for our freedoms is to exercise those freedoms on their day of being remembered.

Forum List

Back