Are Fireworks Appropriate on Memorial Day?

Are Fireworks Appropriate on Memorial Day?

• Total voters

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Before I start, allow me to express my deepest gratitude to the men and women of the armed forces of the United States who have paid the highest price in the defense of our country. I would also like to express me condolences to the families of the men and women who have been killed in action and to tell them I am grateful and humbled by their sacrifice.

Now, on to the question I posed in the subject line. It's meant as a serious question.

I was driving last night when I saw fireworks in the distance. I can only assume it was for Memorial Day. Here's the thing. I've always interpreted fireworks as being part of a celebration. For example, we celebrate our Independence day on the 4th of July. It's wholly fitting and appropriate that we celebrate that day. But Memorial Day is not a day to celebrate ALL Veterans. (In the interest of full disclosure, I myself am a Veteran). It's a day to COMMEMORATE the men and women of the combined US armed forces who have fallen in battle or have been killed in a war zone. In other words, a celebration is different than a commemoration.

Thoughts?

If it's part of a routine (like at Disney) then it's fine, but I don't think it's proper to set off fireworks to "celebrate" Memorial Day. It's not generally a celebration. One exception I could understand is a very large party I attended 21 years ago when an EOD guy had a clause in his will requesting a lot of cheap beer and "massive explosions of all types" be procured in his honor.

I showed up with a keg of natty light and some C4. I needed to get rid of it anyway and his family farm had this large stump out in the field, so....

You're correct though, it's generally not a celebration. We should observe the holiday and commemorate those who died for us. Having a nice afternoon with the family certainly does that but I agree that it shouldn't be some blowout ending in a celebratory display of fireworks.

I have no problem with it. We're celebrating the lives of our soldiers ... not their deaths. We're remembering their courage, valor, and self-sacrifice. We're remembering the ones who died but also the ones who lived and are living. So I don't personally see fireworks as disrespectful at all.

I have no problem with it. We're celebrating the lives of our soldiers ... not their deaths. We're remembering their courage, valor, and self-sacrifice. We're remembering the ones who died but also the ones who lived and are living. So I don't personally see fireworks as disrespectful at all.

Learn what Memorial means. It's not Pet a Living Vet day.

totally appropriate.

Yeah, I'm sure the vets suffering from PTSD get a real kick out of such things.

Well I'd expect that sort of response from a bleeding heart Lib but I think the bulk of Americans are still patriotic and choose to honor our armed forces in a more traditional, American fashion.
You don't "honor" the dead by blowing shit up, that's how many of them got dead.

Do you go to a grave-site and set off fireworks? Same thing little moron.

Learn what Memorial means. It's not Pet a Living Vet day.

Not from a non-patriotic point of view perhaps but there are still lots of living families who lost loved ones during wartime. I certainly wouldn't mind someone honoring my brother or father for their sacrifice. Nevertheless, we're celebrating what many soldiers DID so that we could still live by a Constitution that protects our freedoms. That's worth celebrating.

Yeah, I'm sure the vets suffering from PTSD get a real kick out of such things.

Well I'd expect that sort of response from a bleeding heart Lib but I think the bulk of Americans are still patriotic and choose to honor our armed forces in a more traditional, American fashion.
You don't "honor" the dead by blowing shit up, that's how many of them got dead.

Do you go to a grave-site and set off fireworks? Same thing little moron.

Watch out ... your lack of intelligence is showing again. The only things that are "blowing up" are the fireworks. Just how many soldiers died as a result of a sparkler or a firecracker or pretty fountain cone? :cuckoo::eusa_whistle:

While I do not do that, or would not authorize it if I were in charge of whatever, I certainly would not tell others that they should not.

You're wrong. Memorial Day is not a day to honor the survivors. It's a day to commemorate the fallen.

By the way ... fireworks are routinely utilized on the 4th of July which honors a struggle that resulted in much bloodshed and many deaths. When I celebrate the 4th I don't just celebrate a document but also everything that led up to that point.

totally appropriate.

Isn't Memorial Day supposed to be a solemn occasion? When presidents go to Veteran's cemeteries to lay wreaths at the tomb of the unknown soldiers, I don't see any celebrating. The dignitaries and the families in attendance are normally subdued and respectful.

I think a lot of people are saying that's why they won't do it that way, but they don't have a problem with it. I think what they are saying is what my view is that as long as you're doing it to honor those who died for our freedom, why would anyone be offended by that?

Forum List

Back