Are environmentalists causing global warming?

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Sure looks like it.

"While the black surfaces of solar panels absorb most of the sunlight that reaches them, only a fraction (around 15%) of that incoming energy gets converted to electricity. The rest is returned to the environment as heat."

Solar panels in Sahara could boost renewable energy but damage the global climate – here’s why

The world’s most forbidding deserts could be the best places on Earth for harvesting solar power – the most abundant and clean source of energy we have. Deserts are spacious, relatively flat, rich in silicon – the raw material for the semiconductors from which solar cells are made — and never short of sunlight. In fact, the ten largest solar plants around the world are all located in deserts or dry regions.

Researchers imagine it might be possible to transform the world’s largest desert, the Sahara, into a giant solar farm, capable of meeting four times the world’s current energy demand. Blueprints have been drawn up for projects in Tunisia and Morocco that would supply electricity for millions of households in Europe.

Solar panels in Sahara could boost renewable energy but damage the global climate – here's why (theconversation.com)

"While the black surfaces of solar panels absorb most of the sunlight that reaches them, only a fraction (around 15%) of that incoming energy gets converted to electricity. The rest is returned to the environment as heat."

And where would the heat have gone otherwise?
Did you even think about this before you posted in red? ... less heat enters the environment if some of the energy is converted in to electricity ... simple conservation ...

• Banned

Did you even think about this before you posted in red? ... less heat enters the environment if some of the energy is converted in to electricity ... simple conservation ...

You didn't read the article did you?

"The panels are usually much darker than the ground they cover, so a vast expanse of solar cells will absorb a lot of additional energy and emit it as heat, affecting the climate."

If they can cover 20% of the Sahara, they could off set the absorption with some reflective material I suppose, or a system of heat sinks.

"The panels are usually much darker than the ground they cover, so a vast expanse of solar cells will absorb a lot of additional energy and emit it as heat, affecting the climate."

Of course I read the article ... a hodge-podge of nonsense is what it is ... 85% of heat is less than 100% of heat ... deserts are hot because they are dry, not the other way around ... something else causes then to be dry, specifically it's under a divergence one, it won't be "humid" until the entire large-scale circulation system fails ...

20% of the Sahara Desert is the same size as the entire United States ... are you nuts? ... just a crack pot? ... that's looney tunes, my friend ... solar farms the size of America? ... a full petawatt of power with today's panels ...

The people who live there right now are poor ... all that copper wire can be scraped quick enough ...

The article is wrong on so many levels ... FAKE NEWS ...

• Banned

Of course I read the article ... a hodge-podge of nonsense is what it is ... 85% of heat is less than 100% of heat ... deserts are hot because they are dry, not the other way around ... something else causes then to be dry, specifically it's under a divergence one, it won't be "humid" until the entire large-scale circulation system fails ...

20% of the Sahara Desert is the same size as the entire United States ... are you nuts? ... just a crack pot? ... that's looney tunes, my friend ... solar farms the size of America? ... a full petawatt of power with today's panels ...

The people who live there right now are poor ... all that copper wire can be scraped quick enough ...

Science denier.

If they can cover 20% of the Sahara, they could off set the absorption with some reflective material I suppose, or a system of heat sinks.

And kill everything in that 20%. How stupid are you?

Did you read the plans? That is the coverage they estimated they would need to cover the energy needs of Europe. Not my plan. The question was how to compensate for the excess heat absorbed by the solar panels verses what would be absorbed by the ground they cover.

But if you want to bitch about the size of their plan, feel free.

Did you read the plans? That is the coverage they estimated they would need to cover the energy needs of Europe. Not my plan. The question was how to compensate for the excess heat absorbed by the solar panels verses what would be absorbed by the ground they cover.

I just find it amusing that you have no problem covering 20% of the Saharan Desert to replace 2500 acres of fossil fuel powered electric generation.

Sure looks like it.

Solar panels in Sahara could boost renewable energy but damage the global climate – here’s why

The world’s most forbidding deserts could be the best places on Earth for harvesting solar power – the most abundant and clean source of energy we have. Deserts are spacious, relatively flat, rich in silicon – the raw material for the semiconductors from which solar cells are made — and never short of sunlight. In fact, the ten largest solar plants around the world are all located in deserts or dry regions.

Researchers imagine it might be possible to transform the world’s largest desert, the Sahara, into a giant solar farm, capable of meeting four times the world’s current energy demand. Blueprints have been drawn up for projects in Tunisia and Morocco that would supply electricity for millions of households in Europe.

Solar panels in Sahara could boost renewable energy but damage the global climate – here's why (theconversation.com)

They also cook birds in flight like a MoFo!

It was rumored that Moammar Khaddaffi of Libya had a huge water project being built for his people. It was going to be a good thing. Obama and Hillary had him assassinated. Orders from the elites.

Lots of light would be irradiated back into space. The dark blue solar panels absorb light and convert most of it to heat

I'm actually a huge fan of solar, but using it off grid, on my roof and the roof of my garage--not sending it back to 5he utility companies

It was rumored that Moammar Khaddaffi of Libya had a huge water project being built for his people. It was going to be a good thing. Obama and Hillary had him assassinated. Orders from the elites.

I heard he was stockpiling huge amounts of Dihydrogen Monoxide, which is essential for producing Nuclear Weapons.

Also a very dangerous compound that kills thousands of people every year.

Probably was hiding it behind that damn Dam.

I just find it amusing that you have no problem covering 20% of the Saharan Desert to replace 2500 acres of fossil fuel powered electric generation.

I think it would be an impossible task. But that was not the question. It was about the heat such a structure would absorb and then radiate back into the atmosphere rather than reflected that light energy (by the ground) back into space.

I heard he was stockpiling huge amounts of Dihydrogen Monoxide, which is essential for producing Nuclear Weapons.

Also a very dangerous compound that kills thousands of people every year.

Probably was hiding it behind that damn Dam.

Actually, water is pretty useful. And you are thinking of PROTIUM (deuterium oxide), not H20, but what the heck. You aren't a scientist.

idiot...he is saying there would be less heat with no solar panels cause solar panels create heat for crying out loud

Science denier.
science gave us nuclear bombs, fake tits, and crappy cable tv shows

Forum List

Back