Are atheists materialists?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't bother you that I am an atheist who believes in incorporeal things but does not thing they originate from the corporeal? It does not bother you that I am an atheist but not a materialist? Funny, you spents pages and pages arguing that I was not a good atheist. Then you started an entire thread because of who I say I am.
You aren't the only atheist who believes in a life force. :lol:

I never claimed to be. :rolleyes:
Then this isn't about you. :smile:

I never claimed it was all about me. I have simply stated what I believe. You seem determined to correct me on what I am.
But you did.

Apparently you are bothered by the fact that I do not fit your idea of what an atheist should be.

No, I did not. I did, however, address things you said. Especially things you said to, and about, me.

You made the claim that Siddhārtha Gautama believed in God. I asked for clarification as to which God. You claimed Siddhārtha Gautama believed in God and then proceeded to try to explain Buddhism.

In the context of this discussion, about Buddhism, your claim that there is only one creator. Is this what Siddhārtha Gautama believed or what you believe.
You are going to have to create another thread to find out. :wink:

This line of questioning played itself out when I showed that his beliefs on the origin of incorporeal were logical.

You aren't the only atheist who believes in a life force. :lol:

I never claimed it was all about me. I have simply stated what I believe. You seem determined to correct me on what I am.
But you did.

Apparently you are bothered by the fact that I do not fit your idea of what an atheist should be.

No, I did not. I did, however, address things you said. Especially things you said to, and about, me.
So you believe this is all about you then?

Thoughts are an example of the incorporeal originating from the corporeal. Which is how a materialist would see it.

A spiritualist would believe that everything in the physical world originated from spirit.

This all started when you recoiled at the thought that the love you feel for your family was just an electrochemical response in your brain that was the result of evolutionary forces. If you are truly an atheist, I don't see how you can believe anything different than the love you feel for your family is just an electrochemical response in your brain that is the result of evolutionary forces. That is the consequence of believing that everything arose from the corporeal and not spirit.

That you have a problem with my beliefs as an atheist is not my problem. Apparently you are bothered by the fact that I do not fit your idea of what an atheist should be. But since I do not believe in god, I fit the description quite well.
Again... I don't have a problem with your beliefs. I am not bothered by them in the slightest. If you want to believe you are an atheist who doesn't believe he is a materialist, more power to you.

I don't have to believe anything. I know I am an atheist. And I know I believe in incorporeal things that did not come from corporeal things.

As Popeye would say "I yam what I yam".
You misspelled confused. :rolleyes:

If I were confused, that might be funny. I am not confused. You are the one who has been bound and determined to convince me I am something I am not.
Your beliefs that you are an atheist who believes in a life force are illogical. That is what you are confused about. Those concepts are mutually exclusive. All you have done is substitute a different word for God. Probably because you recoil from the consequences of your own beliefs.

You made the claim that Siddhārtha Gautama believed in God. I asked for clarification as to which God. You claimed Siddhārtha Gautama believed in God and then proceeded to try to explain Buddhism.

In the context of this discussion, about Buddhism, your claim that there is only one creator. Is this what Siddhārtha Gautama believed or what you believe.

This line of questioning played itself out when I showed that his beliefs on the origin of incorporeal were logical.

I think this answers my question quite eloquently. Thank you.

I think this answers my question quite eloquently. Thank you.
You are most welcome.

But you did.

Did I say that? When I answer comments that are posted to me or about me, I am not saying this is all about me.

That you have a problem with my beliefs as an atheist is not my problem. Apparently you are bothered by the fact that I do not fit your idea of what an atheist should be. But since I do not believe in god, I fit the description quite well.
Again... I don't have a problem with your beliefs. I am not bothered by them in the slightest. If you want to believe you are an atheist who doesn't believe he is a materialist, more power to you.

I don't have to believe anything. I know I am an atheist. And I know I believe in incorporeal things that did not come from corporeal things.

If I were confused, that might be funny. I am not confused. You are the one who has been bound and determined to convince me I am something I am not.
Your beliefs that you are an atheist who believes in a life force are illogical. That is what you are confused about. Those concepts are mutually exclusive. All you have done is substitute a different word for God. Probably because you recoil from the consequences of your own beliefs.

Yep. Like I said earlier. Doesn't know much about others beliefs, but they must be bad.

But you did.

Did I say that? When I answer comments that are posted to me or about me, I am not saying this is all about me.
The OP was not directed to you. You yourself said you weren't the only atheist who believed in a life force. Yet you persist in making this about you.

First you say, "You aren't the only atheist who believes in a life force".
Now you say my beliefs are illogical.

And no, they are not mutually exclusive. My being an atheist simply means I do not believe in god. It does not mean I do not believe in a life force.

I am recoiling from nothing of the kind. And I have not simply substituted words. Life force and God are different things. That you have difficulty with that is not my problem.

But you did.

The OP was not directed to you. You yourself said you weren't the only atheist who believed in a life force. Yet you persist in making this about you.

I have never tried to make this about me. Not once. When you make a post directed at me, my answering it is not me making this about me.

You have, numerous times, singled me out. I answered. That is not me making this all about me. I have stated my beliefs and you have proclaimed them "illogical" based on your assumptions and on your invented/expanded definition of the word "atheist".

And no, they are not mutually exclusive. My being an atheist simply means I do not believe in god. It does not mean I do not believe in a life force.

I am recoiling from nothing of the kind. And I have not simply substituted words. Life force and God are different things. That you have difficulty with that is not my problem.
Life force is just another way of saying God. Therefore, believing a life force exists and believing there is no God are beliefs which are mutually exclusive.

In post #14, you said the following:
"The question came up in another discussion and I was surprised to discover their belief. It deserved its own thread because their response seemed inconsistent with their belief that there isn’t anything which is incorporeal which does not come from material beings.

It was almost as if they believed there was some life force at work which by my accounting is inconsistent with the atheist world view that nothing exists outside of the material world."

Which shows you made this thread to address what I and others said in the other thread. I simply answered your claims about what I believe.

But you did.

I have never tried to make this about me. Not once. When you make a post directed at me, my answering it is not me making this about me.

You have, numerous times, singled me out. I answered. That is not me making this all about me. I have stated my beliefs and you have proclaimed them "illogical" based on your assumptions and on your invented/expanded definition of the word "atheist".
You are still doing it by continuing to discuss it.

Life force is just another way of saying God. Therefore, believing a life force exists and believing there is no God are beliefs which are mutually exclusive.

Perhaps that is what you believe. I do not.

"The question came up in another discussion and I was surprised to discover their belief. It deserved its own thread because their response seemed inconsistent with their belief that there isn’t anything which is incorporeal which does not come from material beings.

It was almost as if they believed there was some life force at work which by my accounting is inconsistent with the atheist world view that nothing exists outside of the material world."

Which shows you made this thread to address what I and others said in the other thread. I simply answered your claims about what I believe.
Yes. I never denied it. But it was not exclusively about you. I was surprised how common this inconsistency was in the atheist community.

Methinks you are taking this way too personal.

Perhaps that is what you believe. I do not.
Is this life force a form of a spirit?

LMAO!! Now you want to back off our discussion? Funny, you spent a lot of time singling out my responses and telling me I am not an atheist or that my beliefs are illogical. But my responding to such claims is making it all about me?

You said you started this thread
"It deserved its own thread because their response seemed inconsistent with their belief that there isn’t anything which is incorporeal which does not come from material beings"

LMAO!! Now you want to back off our discussion? Funny, you spent a lot of time singling out my responses and telling me I am not an atheist or that my beliefs are illogical. But my responding to such claims is making it all about me?

You said you started this thread
"It deserved its own thread because their response seemed inconsistent with their belief that there isn’t anything which is incorporeal which does not come from material beings"
This discussion is not about you.

Yes. I never denied it. But it was not exclusively about you. I was surprised how common this inconsistency was in the atheist community.

Methinks you are taking this way too personal.

I am not taking any of this personally. I am secure in my beliefs. You are trying to make it personal. I suspect that soon you will bow out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back