AP sues Zimmerman over latest artwork

that will be for the courts to decide

the AP just handed him that much more publicity

this one might be tied up for now

but his next one will sell for that much more

--LOL

AP serves George Zimmerman with a cease-and-desist order after he 'stole' their photographer's image for his latest painting

George Zimmerman's recent foray into the art world hasn't exactly earned him much critical praise. But it's definitely garnered him some attention - so much so that it could potentially get him sued by one of the largest news-wire services on earth.
For his latest painting, the man acquitted of murder in the shooting death of unarmed Florida teen Trayvon Martin has painted a portrait of Florida State Attorney General Angela Corey, who is the woman who decided to charge Zimmerman with murder in Martin's death.
The problem for Zimmerman, however, is that the photo he used as the basis for his painting is owned by the Associated Press, and the wire service doesn't appear too keen on the idea of letting Zimmerman use it free of charge.

George Zimmerman 'stole' image captured by Associated Press photographer for latest painting | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

They don't have a case. Copyright law says you only have rights to the actual image, not paintings of it. Andy Warhol made a famous painting of Marilyn Monroe based on a photograph, and no one sued him for it. He also painted coke cans and other copyrighted items.

We all know that AP doesn't give a damn about the money. They just hate George Zimmerman and want to punish him anyway they can.

If only AP could afford the services of a legal eagle like yourself.

--LOL

AP serves George Zimmerman with a cease-and-desist order after he 'stole' their photographer's image for his latest painting

George Zimmerman's recent foray into the art world hasn't exactly earned him much critical praise. But it's definitely garnered him some attention - so much so that it could potentially get him sued by one of the largest news-wire services on earth.
For his latest painting, the man acquitted of murder in the shooting death of unarmed Florida teen Trayvon Martin has painted a portrait of Florida State Attorney General Angela Corey, who is the woman who decided to charge Zimmerman with murder in Martin's death.
The problem for Zimmerman, however, is that the photo he used as the basis for his painting is owned by the Associated Press, and the wire service doesn't appear too keen on the idea of letting Zimmerman use it free of charge.

George Zimmerman 'stole' image captured by Associated Press photographer for latest painting | Mail Online

They don't have a case. Copyright law says you only have rights to the actual image, not paintings of it. Andy Warhol made a famous painting of Marilyn Monroe based on a photograph, and no one sued him for it. He also painted coke cans and other copyrighted items.

We all know that AP doesn't give a damn about the money. They just hate George Zimmerman and want to punish him anyway they can.

Wouldn't that be awesome? GZ sticks to his guns and counter sues and wins again. The left wing bed wetters here would go apoplectic.

Typical.

The right will happily steal what they cannot produce themselves.

He needs to become educated. He just doesn't know about copyrights. Most people don't. They think if an image is open to the public, it's in the public domain. Everything is copywritten. It all belongs to somebody. The general rule is if an artwork is 60% your own you can avoid a copyright infringement lawsuit.

The artwork is 100% his own.

And, the two photos he stole?

--LOL

:lmao:

What bothers me about him selling his 'art work,' is that he is exploiting his notoriety, notoriety that comes from killing someone. That just seems evil and depraved to me. And exceedingly disgusting. Like the photo of him at the gun manufacturer's, holding up a gun and laughing and having a good time. He is a disgusting human being.

Last edited:

--LOL

Andy Warhol might have asked for permission. Like it or not, Zimmerman's painting was a copyright infringement that same way the "Hope" painting was a copyright infringement. Copyright isn't concerned with the use of the actual image, but any reproductions of that image.

Artists, especially ones just beginning, all start by painting copies of other artist's work. That is covered by "fair use" exceptions to the copyright laws. However, the reproduced image can't be referred to as an original, cannot be shown to the public as the original work of the artist, and cannot be sold. I had over 100 paintings that I had done of copywritten images. Some of them are still decorating my walls. They have never been sold or shown. Some of the poor ones, I sanded down and painted over with oil ground so I could use the canvases again. Some of them I gave away.

Zimmerman fell afoul of copyright laws the minute he showed it for sale.

--LOL

Andy Warhol might have asked for permission. Like it or not, Zimmerman's painting was a copyright infringement that same way the "Hope" painting was a copyright infringement. Copyright isn't concerned with the use of the actual image, but any reproductions of that image.

Artists, especially ones just beginning, all start by painting copies of other artist's work. That is covered by "fair use" exceptions to the copyright laws. However, the reproduced image can't be referred to as an original, cannot be shown to the public as the original work of the artist, and cannot be sold. I had over 100 paintings that I had done of copywritten images. Some of them are still decorating my walls. They have never been sold or shown. Some of the poor ones, I sanded down and painted over with oil ground so I could use the canvases again. Some of them I gave away.

Zimmerman fell afoul of copyright laws the minute he showed it for sale.

For the first time ever, I agree with you.

--LOL

What bothers me about him selling his 'art work,' is that he is exploiting his notoriety, notoriety that comes from killing someone. That just seems evil and depraved to me. And exceedingly disgusting. Like the photo of him at the gun manufacturer's, holding up a gun and laughing and having a good time. He is a disgusting human being.

Your whole point falls apart because he killed in self-defense. Many of us support him because the left has been a bunch if racist ignorant dumbasses and have nearly ruined that innocent man's life. I say whatever he has to do to survive he gas a right to.

I am convinced. It seems clear that George Z DID use that AP image as the template for his art.

And?

That warrants a cease and desist "order?"

AP must OWN Angie's face because they took the photo that day.

Yeah yeah. That's the ticket. And there is NO possibility that this effort by AP has ANY bearing on
"free speech."

Last edited:
I could be wrong, I'm not a copywrite lawer, but I think that if I were to go and do painting of a copywrited picture that is displayed to the public, then my artwork is still my art work. I suspect that GZ could win a case if this were to go to court. However why bother! Just hold this one back and make another painting. The lawyers love Zimmerman, he has made them tons of $$$$$.

Last edited:
Why are some of you so in favor on ANYONE stealing the work of another and profiting from that theft?

Never mind that its a scum sucking, woman abusing, child killer. For the sake of this issue, it doesn't matter who it is.

Why should he be able to profit from the original work of others?

Add common plagiarizing thief to his other talents.

Why are some of you so in favor on ANYONE stealing the work of another and profiting from that theft?

Never mind that its a scum sucking, woman abusing, child killer. For the sake of this issue, it doesn't matter who it is.

Why should he be able to profit from the original work of others?

Add common plagiarizing thief to his other talents.

Horse shit.

Some photographer took a photo. AP paid the guy and owns that image.

THEN much later Zimmerman uses that image as a kind of template from which he creates a bit of "art." I don't care if it qualifies as "good" art or not. That's all subjective anyway.

Did AP own Angie's ugly mug?

Does the use of an image in the public realm AS A MERE TEMPLATE for artistic impression and speech really qualify as "stealing" the "property" of AP, anyway? Of course not. Your "argument" is ridiculous on its face, mudddly. As is always the case.

You laughable lolberals really are laughable.

He stole a life and the right reworded him and made him their hero. For killing a child. Sick.

He stole a life and the right reworded him and made him their hero. For killing a child. Sick.

No, rderp, you lying sack of typically dishonest liberal bullshit.

Zim stole nothing.

He DEFENDED himself which he had every right to do.

And it is you scumbag liberals who would penalize him for self defense. For denying the other guy the "right" to bash his brains in.

You dishonest hack far left liberal zealots exist in a realm outside of reality and reason and fairness. You are a punk ass bitch troll. Nothing more.

This is the epitome of a frivolous lawsuit, and it only exposes the media bias further. There's had to have been countless times that people did derivative artwork from AP images without lawsuits.

--LOL

Okay. Who's going to hire him for a six or seven figure gig to pay off all those lawyer fees? Even if it were a matter of getting a nine to five job; do you think he'd be able to do that in peace? He is in the predicament that he is in because people like you unfairly judge him and continue to unfairly judge him. Maybe, you're a little disgusting.

As for the gun picture, maybe he should be laughing. Your sleezebag DA, Holder infringed upon his Constitutional right of taking away his gun (when he most needed one); and he went to the gun factory and laughed like, THIS IS STILL AMERICA, BITCH. I SHALL PROTECT MYSELF.

Forum List

Back