Anyone on here into H/P & Torque, 1320/christmas tree to traps, or 2 lane black top(street)???

jackflash

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2020
USA
The only thing that beats out H/P & Torque is MORE H/P & Torque! Even if one can't use all the H/P & Torque(can't hook up) the hot rodder still wants more & more(mega addiction). Open headers like being in an earthquake can't read the gauges, one piece fiberglass up front vibrating like a leaf in a windstorm then hit the water to warm up the wrinkle walls. Door open trying to clear out the smoke from super heated rubber/compound while trying to keep in the tracks while backing up. Quick inspection by the crew, drop visor & it's off to prestage, then roll in & then staged. Cut the lights between amber & green off the clutch then it's clutchless shifting as ya try to keep her hot straight & true(easier said than done!). Hit the kill switch & pop the chute(s). It's over in just a few seconds but it feels like a ride into eternity... everytime!

The only thing that beats out H/P & Torque is MORE H/P & Torque! Even if one can't use all the H/P & Torque(can't hook up) the hot rodder still wants more & more(mega addiction). Open headers like being in an earthquake can't read the gauges, one piece fiberglass up front vibrating like a leaf in a windstorm then hit the water to warm up the wrinkle walls. Door open trying to clear out the smoke from super heated rubber/compound while trying to keep in the tracks while backing up. Quick inspection by the crew, drop visor & it's off to prestage, then roll in & then staged. Cut the lights between amber & green off the clutch then it's clutchless shifting as ya try to keep her hot straight & true(easier said than done!). Hit the kill switch & pop the chute(s). It's over in just a few seconds but it feels like a ride into eternity... everytime!
I race at Wichita international when I've got the time. Street racing is a bad idea.

I also don't build trailer queens, if I can't take it out a drive around town I don't want it. I have busted the 11 second mark on street tires though.

I race at Wichita international when I've got the time. Street racing is a bad idea.

I also don't build trailer queens, if I can't take it out a drive around town I don't want it. I have busted the 11 second mark on street tires though.

M&H street/strip or Micky's??? Busted into high 10's or high 11's? If that's high 10's for you on street tires you got some serious top end to your rig!!! Naturally aspirated or turbo? Those trailer queens are great for the Auto Boat speed shows but other than that totally useless(too much $$$$$ invested to scratch em up). I prefer my sheetmetal to be on the rough side as I put my $$$$$ into "functional". The street racing we did was located in an area inhabited by owls, snakes, rodents & mule deer. We kept the mulies away with guys blowing whistles up & down the marked out 1320 @ night/early morning time. We used a simple flashlight beam(projected across the road) in the traps with a "neutral" on each side of the road accompanied by a buddy from each driver. The guy watching the flashlight beam was the 5th man in the traps. When three of the five called the winner that was it, as agreed upon beforehand(hardly accurate but the best we could do). We only got that serious when there was $$$$$ bet between the drivers. We had pretty honest people off the sides of the traps but now & then it was pretty freakin' close & tempers flared. Most of the time we ran just for the ride($$$$$ made it ugly). Our christmas tree was a guy with a pair of flashlights taped together, one outfitted with yellow tinted celophane & the other flashlight outfitted with green tinted celophane. We used the same flashlight setup on the line as in the traps but had a wall mirror that we purchased from the Salvation Army store directly across from the flaslight on the other side of the road to line up the tires with the beam of light. Primitive by todays standards with portable christmas trees & everything else we would have needed back then, but in the early 70's what we had was state of the art for street marauders.The road was somewhat narrow as I remembered it so our human christmas tree was about a hundred feet down road from the line on the right side of the road(so he could clear the road in time). Years later I was heading down to the Hanford Nuke resevation & took a detour off I-90 to reminisce for a few moments. Remember my words above ''...road was somewhat narrow as I remembered it...". Go to Google maps & type in Sprague Washington. Tap the + key several times & start heading out S/E on road #23 about 4 to 4.5 miles. If you are on high enough magnification you will see a lake named Sheep lake. Inbetween the lake & road #23 you will see Hardy rd. We all parked on or just off Hardy rd(down by the water) just a lovin' on our women & waiting for our turn. Maybe 8/10 rigs to 20/25 rigs ready to pare off. Take the yellow man & put him on rd #23 JUST after the LONG CURVE from where Hardy rd connects onto rd 23. That was our starting line(#23 was much narrower than I remembered like we had to be crazy!). We were well shut down before we reached Crooked Knee lake but took the Lamont rd to Hardy rd then went back to Sheep lake on gravel, we called it the "LOOP rd. The farmer kids heard us in the town of Lamont & came out to investigate & liked what they saw. Next thing their parents were out there & they liked it as much or more than their kids did(no entertainment out there)! Those farmers are pretty freakin' mechanically oriented & were "wired" with what they saw under our hoods. They figured they were getting a free show & loved it!

M&H street/strip or Micky's??? Busted into high 10's or high 11's? If that's high 10's for you on street tires you got some serious top end to your rig!!! Naturally aspirated or turbo? Those trailer queens are great for the Auto Boat speed shows but other than that totally useless(too much $$$$$ invested to scratch em up). I prefer my sheetmetal to be on the rough side as I put my $$$$$ into "functional". The street racing we did was located in an area inhabited by owls, snakes, rodents & mule deer. We kept the mulies away with guys blowing whistles up & down the marked out 1320 @ night/early morning time. We used a simple flashlight beam(projected across the road) in the traps with a "neutral" on each side of the road accompanied by a buddy from each driver. The guy watching the flashlight beam was the 5th man in the traps. When three of the five called the winner that was it, as agreed upon beforehand(hardly accurate but the best we could do). We only got that serious when there was $$$$$ bet between the drivers. We had pretty honest people off the sides of the traps but now & then it was pretty freakin' close & tempers flared. Most of the time we ran just for the ride($$$$$ made it ugly). Our christmas tree was a guy with a pair of flashlights taped together, one outfitted with yellow tinted celophane & the other flashlight outfitted with green tinted celophane. We used the same flashlight setup on the line as in the traps but had a wall mirror that we purchased from the Salvation Army store directly across from the flaslight on the other side of the road to line up the tires with the beam of light. Primitive by todays standards with portable christmas trees & everything else we would have needed back then, but in the early 70's what we had was state of the art for street marauders.The road was somewhat narrow as I remembered it so our human christmas tree was about a hundred feet down road from the line on the right side of the road(so he could clear the road in time). Years later I was heading down to the Hanford Nuke resevation & took a detour off I-90 to reminisce for a few moments. Remember my words above ''...road was somewhat narrow as I remembered it...". Go to Google maps & type in Sprague Washington. Tap the + key several times & start heading out S/E on road #23 about 4 to 4.5 miles. If you are on high enough magnification you will see a lake named Sheep lake. Inbetween the lake & road #23 you will see Hardy rd. We all parked on or just off Hardy rd(down by the water) just a lovin' on our women & waiting for our turn. Maybe 8/10 rigs to 20/25 rigs ready to pare off. Take the yellow man & put him on rd #23 JUST after the LONG CURVE from where Hardy rd connects onto rd 23. That was our starting line(#23 was much narrower than I remembered like we had to be crazy!). We were well shut down before we reached Crooked Knee lake but took the Lamont rd to Hardy rd then went back to Sheep lake on gravel, we called it the "LOOP rd. The farmer kids heard us in the town of Lamont & came out to investigate & liked what they saw. Next thing their parents were out there & they liked it as much or more than their kids did(no entertainment out there)! Those farmers are pretty freakin' mechanically oriented & were "wired" with what they saw under our hoods. They figured they were getting a free show & loved it!
Very high ten. 10.998 @ 124 mph. M/T street strip tires. B&M 177 miniblower on stroked 350 (383). That ended my run for the year, the track said I didn't have enough safety equipment for the ET.

Very high ten. 10.998 @ 124 mph. M/T street strip tires. B&M 177 miniblower on stroked 350 (383). That ended my run for the year, the track said I didn't have enough safety equipment for the ET.
Can I join? I fly under radar on a boosted Busa.

Forum List

Back