Anyone live in Massachusetts?

A Boston terrier.

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.u1.jpg

it's beautiful there, but expensive....

we lived in two smaller towns over a 10 year period...Grafton, and Millbury...about 35 miles to Boston where the hubby worked.... both lovely towns and great places to live.... property and property taxes are high, but they have excellent schools for the money, and jobs pay very well too.... cost of living is high, but pay is higher there...lots of jobs...

where as Maine also passed legalizing Marijuana as well....if that is what you are looking for, homes and property taxes are half the cost of Massachusetts, even prettier than Massachusetts here, however, there are no good jobs here unless you live in the Portland area perhaps..?

we lived in two smaller towns over a 10 year period...Grafton, and Millbury...about 35 miles to Boston where the hubby worked.... both lovely towns and great places to live.... property and property taxes are high, but they have excellent schools for the money, and jobs pay very well too.... cost of living is high, but pay is higher there...lots of jobs...

where as Maine also passed legalizing Marijuana as well....if that is what you are looking for, homes and property taxes are half the cost of Massachusetts, even prettier than Massachusetts here, however, there are no good jobs here unless you live in the Portland area perhaps..?

And it's colder, and you usually get even more snow than we do! Maine is hicksville. :D

And it's colder, and you usually get even more snow than we do! Maine is hicksville. :D
I live on the coast here so it moderates the weather and it is not much colder and we don't get more snow, than we did in central massachusetts... when we got snow in Mass, we got several feet of it....once the April fools storm, we got 42 inches of snow...never seen anything like that up here...

Coming up to New England from Florida, both places are COLD!!! :lol:

The traffic is probably way better than where I'm at right now. Boston eh? Hmm... could I see myself joining the city folk? :eusa_think:

There are some really nice sections of Boston. Naturally, the more attractive the more expensive. Beacon Hill is a nice neighborhood these days but most of the Kennedy Klan can't afford to live there anymore. When I was a student there were run down but cheap apartments on the streets climbing the hill but those are now all gentrified. And...The Sevens is no more. Away from Boston the traffic is seriously dense and the state sport is tailgating. I was back there a couple of weeks ago and,t hough I had learned to drive there, found it challenging until I remembered Rule #1: NEVER make eye contact. If they know you've seen 'em they'll figure you'll brake for them. Boston has driven out most of the low-life sort from the central area. Moved 'em to public housing in places like Brockton, Fall River and New Bedford. No public transit from those places so if you can get a decent paying job in Boston figure on a long commute, even for a short distance and outrageous fees to park. If you're going to try out for a job in the city be sure to include a free parking space in the negotiation.

Oh, winter in Boston sucks. Wind magnified by the canyons of the tall buildings; frequent heavy wet snow and always some union beef that keeps the streets from being cleared in any reasonable time. Parking restrictions when snow is forecast some some people finding themselves just driving around all night 'cause there's no place to park.

The traffic is probably way better than where I'm at right now. Boston eh? Hmm... could I see myself joining the city folk? :eusa_think:

There are some really nice sections of Boston. Naturally, the more attractive the more expensive. Beacon Hill is a nice neighborhood these days but most of the Kennedy Klan can't afford to live there anymore. When I was a student there were run down but cheap apartments on the streets climbing the hill but those are now all gentrified. And...The Sevens is no more. Away from Boston the traffic is seriously dense and the state sport is tailgating. I was back there a couple of weeks ago and,t hough I had learned to drive there, found it challenging until I remembered Rule #1: NEVER make eye contact. If they know you've seen 'em they'll figure you'll brake for them. Boston has driven out most of the low-life sort from the central area. Moved 'em to public housing in places like Brockton, Fall River and New Bedford. No public transit from those places so if you can get a decent paying job in Boston figure on a long commute, even for a short distance and outrageous fees to park. If you're going to try out for a job in the city be sure to include a free parking space in the negotiation.

Oh, winter in Boston sucks. Wind magnified by the canyons of the tall buildings; frequent heavy wet snow and always some union beef that keeps the streets from being cleared in any reasonable time. Parking restrictions when snow is forecast some some people finding themselves just driving around all night 'cause there's no place to park.

I would recommend the suburbs instead. I like to visit the city but I wouldn't want to live there!

What's it like up there? What are some good towns to look for a home in? I'm pretty sure I could find a job in my field pretty easily if I decided to move. And if I have to watch the republic collapse over the next few years, I'd much rather do it with a bong in my lap

There are some pretty places in Massachusetts. If they're at all seaside they're probably priced out of your reach. Traffic is terrible - roads have not been improved or maintained much except in Boston itself. Property taxes are outrageously high and there's income tax and sales tax to think about. There's very good medical care for physical ailments but mental health....not so much. But, overall, The Bay State is a great state to be from!

It's a great place to live besides being one of the most expensive states in the country! It's very picturesque with a lot of seaside communities, old fishing villages, beaches. Great in the summertime, freezing and lots of snow in the wintertime! I see taxes has already been discussed. They don't call us Taxachusetts for nothing! ;)

Yup if you want to live in MA, you better have deep pockets. They have a tax for everything.

Some areas are great but as I said. You better have deep pockets.

A better State is Tennessee. Check it out. No State income tax and great scenery. Your buck will go much further in Tennessee than it ever will in MA.

What's it like up there? What are some good towns to look for a home in? I'm pretty sure I could find a job in my field pretty easily if I decided to move. And if I have to watch the republic collapse over the next few years, I'd much rather do it with a bong in my lap

There are some pretty places in Massachusetts. If they're at all seaside they're probably priced out of your reach. Traffic is terrible - roads have not been improved or maintained much except in Boston itself. Property taxes are outrageously high and there's income tax and sales tax to think about. There's very good medical care for physical ailments but mental health....not so much. But, overall, The Bay State is a great state to be from!

It's a great place to live besides being one of the most expensive states in the country! It's very picturesque with a lot of seaside communities, old fishing villages, beaches. Great in the summertime, freezing and lots of snow in the wintertime! I see taxes has already been discussed. They don't call us Taxachusetts for nothing! ;)

Yup if you want to live in MA, you better have deep pockets. They have a tax for everything.

A better State is Tennessee. Check it out. No State income tax and great scenery. Your buck will go much further in Tennessee than it ever will in MA.

I have actually looked into moving to TN before. I couldn't believe the prices of houses and rents! I thought it must have been a mistake, but it wasn't. I just don't have the means or the motivation to move to another state right now. Besides that, most of my family live here in MA and in Maine.

I have actually looked into moving to TN before. I couldn't believe the prices of houses and rents! I thought it must have been a mistake, but it wasn't. I just don't have the means or the motivation to move to another state right now. Besides that, most of my family live here in MA and in Maine.

Ah, that explains a lot --- you're Maineiac. :p

I've had the same experience house-hunting around here in western Carolina. What --- all this house and land for pocket change?? We do have state income tax here, but we have less dramatic weather than Tennessee being on the easy side of the Appalachians.

But my family's all over the country, from the North to the Pacific Northwest to the deep South, so I guess I'm free to go wherever.

I've had the same experience house-hunting around here in western Carolina. What --- all this house and land for pocket change?? We do have state income tax here, but we have less dramatic weather than Tennessee being on the easy side of the Appalachians.

But my family's all over the country, from the North to the Pacific Northwest to the deep South, so I guess I'm free to go wherever.

Nope, I'm not a maniac but a lot of my relatives are. I was born and raised here in Massachusetts. :)

Maine is a beautiful State.

I lived in NH for twenty plus years. I lived up in the Northern part of the State above Pinkham Notch. About an hour from the Canadian Border.

I used to show my horse in Maine, Vt. and NH. Lovely States in the summer but thirty below zero in the Winter got old.

I now live in Florida. No ice, snow or real cold.

Nope, I'm not a maniac but a lot of my relatives are. I was born and raised here in Massachusetts. :)

It's already in your blood. :eek:
It's in mine too.

What it really means is you can't move anyway because ---- 'you cahn't get theah from heah'.

It's in mine too.

What it really means is you can't move anyway because ---- 'you cahn't get theah from heah'.

I was driving to Ellsworth, ME one time, and I can't remember which town it was, but the center of "town" was just a gas station and a very tiny strip mall. I think it might have been the only gas station in town, and it was closed at 5:30 PM on a Saturday. :lol:

It's in mine too.

I was driving to Ellsworth, ME one time, and I can't remember which town it was, but the center of "town" was just a gas station and a very tiny strip mall. I think it might have been the only gas station in town, and it was closed at 5:30 PM on a Saturday. :lol:

Ah, that's my kinda place. :thup:

Yeah I know Ellsworth. Used to go visit friends in Hancock on the way to Nova Scotia.

Forum List

Back