Anyone live in Massachusetts?

What's it like up there? What are some good towns to look for a home in? I'm pretty sure I could find a job in my field pretty easily if I decided to move. And if I have to watch the republic collapse over the next few years, I'd much rather do it with a bong in my lap

There are some pretty places in Massachusetts. If they're at all seaside they're probably priced out of your reach. Traffic is terrible - roads have not been improved or maintained much except in Boston itself. Property taxes are outrageously high and there's income tax and sales tax to think about. There's very good medical care for physical ailments but mental health....not so much. But, overall, The Bay State is a great state to be from!

Henry's correct about most of that, although he didn't mention how tiny Boston is physically for its population size -- in other words way too many people cramped into too small a space owing to its being very very old (for an American city anyway).

That's why I didn't move there when I was transitioning from Vermont to a city of my choice (it was on my short list). But heaven if you like Celtic music, seafood, bookstores or an interesting and vibrant radio dial. Best there is of the latter. But being too crowded makes people mean. That's true of the entire Megalopolis but most acute in Boston.

I did live a short time in Mass during that transition but it was in the west (Northampton) which was relatively neato.

What's it like up there? What are some good towns to look for a home in? I'm pretty sure I could find a job in my field pretty easily if I decided to move. And if I have to watch the republic collapse over the next few years, I'd much rather do it with a bong in my lap

There are some pretty places in Massachusetts. If they're at all seaside they're probably priced out of your reach. Traffic is terrible - roads have not been improved or maintained much except in Boston itself. Property taxes are outrageously high and there's income tax and sales tax to think about. There's very good medical care for physical ailments but mental health....not so much. But, overall, The Bay State is a great state to be from!

Henry's correct about most of that, although he didn't mention how tiny Boston is physically for its population size -- in other words way too many people cramped into too small a space. That's why I didn't move there when I was transitioning from Vermont to a city of my choice (it was on my short list). But heaven if you like Celtic music, seafood, bookstores or an interesting and vibrant radio dial. Best there is of the latter. But being too crowded makes people mean. That's true of the entire Megalopolis but most acute in Boston.

I did live a short time in Mass during that transition but it was in the west (Northampton) which was relatively neato.
I went to Boston once and I remember stores were selling shirts that said "I found a parking spot in Boston" :laugh:

What's it like up there? What are some good towns to look for a home in? I'm pretty sure I could find a job in my field pretty easily if I decided to move. And if I have to watch the republic collapse over the next few years, I'd much rather do it with a bong in my lap :laugh:

I grew up in Massachusetts. I would never move back

Why not?

Cost of living, mainly

Yeah, it's super expensive, I agree. Looking at rent and mortgage prices around the country, I was shocked. I thought some of them must be typos, but nope. In some states, they pay about half of what we pay here! :rolleyes-41:

Henry's correct about most of that, although he didn't mention how tiny Boston is physically for its population size -- in other words way too many people cramped into too small a space. That's why I didn't move there when I was transitioning from Vermont to a city of my choice (it was on my short list). But heaven if you like Celtic music, seafood, bookstores or an interesting and vibrant radio dial. Best there is of the latter. But being too crowded makes people mean. That's true of the entire Megalopolis but most acute in Boston.

I went to Boston once and I remember stores were selling shirts that said "I found a parking spot in Boston" :laugh:

Indeed that is a challenge.

Hey I found free parking spots in Boston. :eusa_dance:

Illegally? :D

Illegally? :D

Nope!

Although I have to say this reminds me of another time (unrelated) when I parked at a meter elsewhere in Boston and paid for it, then got a bogus ticket anyway. I think it was something about the meter timer running too fast. So I wrote in to contest it, made that point --- and they agreed with me and threw it out. :rock:

And no, I don't remember what street it was so I don't have a tip, don't ask. ;)

LOL-New-York-vs.-Boston.jpg

What's it like up there? What are some good towns to look for a home in? I'm pretty sure I could find a job in my field pretty easily if I decided to move. And if I have to watch the republic collapse over the next few years, I'd much rather do it with a bong in my lap :laugh:

You wouldn't say that if we were clam-baking a Camry right now

Nevada legalized weed last night too
But you can't shuck some quahogs while rolling some doobies in Nevada

I'll have them imported

You wouldn't say that if we were clam-baking a Camry right now

Nevada legalized weed last night too
But you can't shuck some quahogs while rolling some doobies in Nevada

I'll have them imported
Not in Trump's America

Nothin' about the Sawx?

First time I ever went to Boston was on a St. Patrick's Day. I heard someone ask "where's the potty". I was so inexperienced I thought he was actually looking for a bathroom.

Forum List

Back