Anyone know anything about checking joists on second level of house?

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
My upstairs hall has developed a noticeable sag, and I want to have someone check the joists to see if they need blocking or sistering. The guy I hired says to cut the ceiling out from below to look at them rather than tear up the floor from above, since he says the former is easier to repair.

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

My upstairs hall has developed a noticeable sag, and I want to have someone check the joists to see if they need blocking or sistering. The guy I hired says to cut the ceiling out from below to look at them rather than tear up the floor from above, since he says the former is easier to repair.

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.
(life-long house carpenter) With structural problems one should always start at the bottom. If something horizontal is sagging it usually means the vertical framing that is supposed to be holding it up has subsided. Ceilings are definitely easier to patch than floors but chances are the problem is somewhere else.

Find someone who does inspections with a flexible borescope camera. You don't need to cut away your celing, all they need is just a little hole and they can put the camera in there to look around.
Thank you! I really hate having to cut away my ceiling.

I‘ve had discussions with three structural repair places, ans none mentioned a borescope camera. Is this something unusual, or should a qualified person have this?

(life-long house carpenter) With structural problems one should always start at the bottom. If something horizontal is sagging it usually means the vertical framing that is supposed to be holding it up has subsided. Ceilings are definitely easier to patch than floors but chances are the problem is somewhere else.
Thanks to you, as well. That’s why the guy told me the ceiling - said it’s easier to put back than a floor.

The guy I have (well….had) scheduled for the ceiling said it’s probably the joists, but he wouldn’t know until he looks around.

Thanks to you, as well. That’s why the guy told me the ceiling - said it’s easier to put back than a floor.

The guy I have (well….had) scheduled for the ceiling said it’s probably the joists, but he wouldn’t know until he looks around.
That's fine. It's tough to diagnose problems without seeing it. Beware, I've seen stuff like this turn into major structural repairs.

Thank you! I really hate having to cut away my ceiling.

I‘ve had discussions with three structural repair places, ans none mentioned a borescope camera. Is this something unusual, or should a qualified person have this?
I know plumbers use them I had my pipes relined because roots were getting in and they ran a little camera into the pipe. They call them inspection cameras, borescope cameras etc.

I know plumbers use them I had my pipes relined because roots were getting in and they ran a little camera into the pipe. They call them inspection cameras, borescope cameras etc.
Thanks again. It may be tough to find a contractor with that, but perhaps a structural engineer. I made inquiries, and they want around $2000 to do an evaluation and draw up plans. Like the poster above you said, I’m afraid this could turn into a major undertaking. (Once they start poking around, they can uncover all sorts of stuff, and it will be hard to know what really needs to be done, and what’s optional.)

Thanks again. It may be tough to find a contractor with that, but perhaps a structural engineer. I made inquiries, and they want around $2000 to do an evaluation and draw up plans. Like the poster above you said, I’m afraid this could turn into a major undertaking. (Once they start poking around, they can uncover all sorts of stuff, and it will be hard to know what really needs to be done, and what’s optional.)
You're welcome. They are actually not that expensive you could buy one and do it yourself or get someone to help you they are fairly simple to operate. As for your issue it seems odd you would have sag in just the hallway. I think I would want to have a good look around in there :)

You're welcome. They are actually not that expensive you could buy one and do it yourself or get someone to help you they are fairly simple to operate. As for your issue it seems odd you would have sag in just the hallway. I think I would want to have a good look around in there :)
By “look around in there,” I assume you mean with the borescope. In the meantime, I just cancelled the appointment I had for the guy to open my ceiling.

There are no cracks on my ceiling below the slope, so I hope that’s a good sign.

Nah...I have a borescope I use to inspect shotgun barrels,engine cylinders and anything else I need to take a look at.
It was a major plus when I was threading wire down the walls. I kept searching for the end but I couldnt find it. Broke out the bore scope and it was were I thought it was but at an angle that I couldnt reach.
Not being able to see what you're talking about makes it difficult to diagnose.
Can you post some pics?

By “look around in there,” I assume you mean with the borescope. In the meantime, I just cancelled the appointment I had for the guy to open my ceiling.

There are no cracks on my ceiling below the slope, so I hope that’s a good sign.
Yes, and like I said there are different names for the cameras: inspection cameras, snake cameras, borescope cameras etc. In my town some home inspectors use those cameras also. They are becoming a more common tool because they are so handy and get into places that otherwise are hard to access.

Nah...I have a borescope I use to inspect shotgun barrels,engine cylinders and anything else I need to take a look at.
It was a major plus when I was threading wire down the walls. I kept searching for the end but I couldnt find it. Broke out the bore scope and it was were I thought it was but at an angle that I couldnt reach.
Not being able to see what you're talking about makes it difficult to diagnose.
Can you post some pics?
I can tomorrow, when I have better light. Also, would you mind if I DM’ed you with them? (Too much information on the inside of my house.) Thx!

Yes, and like I said there are different names for the cameras: inspection cameras, snake cameras, borescope cameras etc. In my town some home inspectors use those cameras also. They are becoming a more common tool because they are so handy and get into places that otherwise are hard to access.
I've used them before. They have a very narrow field of view but they occasionally come in handy.

Forum List

Back