Anyone have information on the Dupree Bunker System?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
When I was trained at Ft Benning GA, we were taught to use the Dupree Bunker System (I think that is how it was spelled).

I have been trying to get some information on it but my Google Fu keeps failing me.

Does anyone out there know a URL that has info on the system?

I just did a Google Search on Dupree Bunker system. The top link was a link back to this thread at USMB.

When I was trained at Ft Benning GA, we were taught to use the Dupree Bunker System (I think that is how it was spelled).

I have been trying to get some information on it but my Google Fu keeps failing me.

Does anyone out there know a URL that has info on the system?

I was stationed at Ft. Benning for 4 years, but don't remember hearing about those.

Could possibly have been "Teepee bunker system", like the NVA used in Vietnam...

"The 'tepee' style bunker consisted of an A-Frame and the overhead cover arrangement was unique
among the various bunkers seen on the battlefield. There were numerous reports confirming its
widespread use throughout the Khe Sanh area. The bunker was constructed in the standard 4x6x4 foot
fighting hole, giving it an underground 'pup tent' appearance (Fig. 7). This type of construction offered
the best protection, exposed very little to the observer, and was one of the strongest construction styles
devised. The 4x6x4 foot trench provided the basis for the bunker with each side entrance faced at right..."

Full text of "American & NVA Weapons & Tactics In Vietnam"

Well, I have searched for US Army infantry training manuals, and cannot find reference to the system I was trained to use.

So maybe I am not remembering the name correctly or something,m but it works like this....

upload_2020-3-11_21-45-9.png

The filled in brown circles are natural obstacles that provide 'solid' cover, which is redundant I know, but many confuse cover and concealment, lol. Artificial cover can be constructed with sandbags and gravel/sand/etc. It should be thick enough to withstand hits from small 1 or 3 inch guns or 50 cal machine guns. Obviously this should protect the personnel from direct fire perpendicular to the line of defense, standard Soviet idiot tactics from the mid 1800s.

The empty black circles are two man pits that give room enough for side chambers to be dug for personal sleep and storage (didnt draw those) and if made of rock or thick logs, they can also limit grenade frags spread. The empty purple small circles are the grenade sump, about 8 inches wide and a 45 degree slope and a foot and a half deep. The ground of the hole should slope to the sump to facilitate kicking a grenade into it, and allowing the blast to be directed to the back of the hole while the two soldiers crouch forwards.

The blue areas are interlocking fields of fire, one filled in light blue for illustration. As these fields are diagonal to the approach of enemy forces, they reduce for the enemy the ability to take cover from obstacles to slow their approach.

The 'Final Lines of Fire' are designated positions for full auto fire in three round bursts of all men in the squad. It is an emergency tactic to prevent being over run by enemy infantry. The infantrymen just swing their rifles to that predesignated stake (thanks, Lieutenant Who?) and fire for effect with no lengthy time given for a timely aim, just shoot their asses off as fast as you can. The red lines are personnel weapon FLF and the green line is the squad machine gun.

The fields of fire are restricted within the defensive position ie 'fox hole' using stakes and the weapons are kept within the field of fire to reduce the likelihood of friendly fire from other squad members. Usually the Final Line of Fire is one of those boundary stakes but not absolutely.

The best marksmen are given the wider fields of fire. The squad machine gun is placed at either end for maximized effectiveness.

Does this trigger anyone's memory or am I just that much of a dinosaur? lol

Well, I have searched for US Army infantry training manuals, and cannot find reference to the system I was trained to use.

So maybe I am not remembering the name correctly or something,m but it works like this....

View attachment 311883

The filled in brown circles are natural obstacles that provide 'solid' cover, which is redundant I know, but many confuse cover and concealment, lol. Artificial cover can be constructed with sandbags and gravel/sand/etc. It should be thick enough to withstand hits from small 1 or 3 inch guns or 50 cal machine guns. Obviously this should protect the personnel from direct fire perpendicular to the line of defense, standard Soviet idiot tactics from the mid 1800s.

The empty black circles are two man pits that give room enough for side chambers to be dug for personal sleep and storage (didnt draw those) and if made of rock or thick logs, they can also limit grenade frags spread. The empty purple small circles are the grenade sump, about 8 inches wide and a 45 degree slope and a foot and a half deep. The ground of the hole should slope to the sump to facilitate kicking a grenade into it, and allowing the blast to be directed to the back of the hole while the two soldiers crouch forwards.

The blue areas are interlocking fields of fire, one filled in light blue for illustration. As these fields are diagonal to the approach of enemy forces, they reduce for the enemy the ability to take cover from obstacles to slow their approach.

The 'Final Lines of Fire' are designated positions for full auto fire in three round bursts of all men in the squad. It is an emergency tactic to prevent being over run by enemy infantry. The infantrymen just swing their rifles to that predesignated stake (thanks, Lieutenant Who?) and fire for effect with no lengthy time given for a timely aim, just shoot their asses off as fast as you can. The red lines are personnel weapon FLF and the green line is the squad machine gun.

The fields of fire are restricted within the defensive position ie 'fox hole' using stakes and the weapons are kept within the field of fire to reduce the likelihood of friendly fire from other squad members. Usually the Final Line of Fire is one of those boundary stakes but not absolutely.

The best marksmen are given the wider fields of fire. The squad machine gun is placed at either end for maximized effectiveness.

That is very interesting. But I wasn't a combat infantryman, I was in artillery. We just blow the fuck out of everything or throw some beehive rounds downrange. :04:

That is very interesting. But I wasn't a combat infantryman, I was in artillery. We just blow the fuck out of everything or throw some beehive rounds downrange. :04:
Oh, I know better than that.

Moving solid walls of fire, pretargetted points, counter battery fire, AKAK, you guys do your roles very well, and it isnt easy.

I pity the mortarmen, 12B's? who had to do battalion runs with their mortars, and those big ass plates! lol.

View attachment 311883

As one of my students, who had recently trained with the French army in conjunction with the US/NATO, told me, "On the battlefield if you stay still, you're dead and if you move, you're dead."

View attachment 311883

As one of my students, who had recently trained with the French army in conjunction with the US/NATO, told me, "On the battlefield if you stay still, you're dead and if you move, you're dead."
It's like that old joke:
"Combien faut-il de Français pour défendre Paris? Personne ne le sait: ils n’ont jamais essayé"
How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
Nobody knows. Its never been done.

View attachment 311883

As in the old joke:
"Combien faut-il de Français pour défendre Paris? Personne ne le sait: ils n’ont jamais essayé"
Vous ne connaissez pas bien l'histoire, mon pauvre.
Did the Prussians capture Paris in the 1870 war?

View attachment 311883

As in the old joke:
Vous ne connaissez pas bien l'histoire, mon pauvre.
Did the Prussians capture Paris in the 1870 war?
Paris was surrender at Jan, 28 of 1871 after near 2,4% casualities (both dead and wounded) of potential defenders to at least twice inferior number of Prussians. Can't we name it "they didn't even try"?
Siege of Paris (1870–71) - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back