Anyone Have Any Veal Recipes?

I like lamb meat balls, too. I'm making them (kefta) for dinner tonight.

Ground lamb is another of those meats I always find with special discounted prices, but unlike veal, it really requires a developed taste: It is not beef-like. It is not pork-like. I is not turkey-like. One had better be very careful serving lamb only to people who like lamb. Many, including The Slaves, will simply not eat it however much I disguise it (typically in Moussaka).

This is so yummy:

Moroccan Kefta with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce:

1 lb ground lamb
2 scallions (or some white onion) white parts only
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup parsley leaves
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp Ras Al Hanout
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon

Directions:

Chop and mix all ingredients except lamb in a food processor. Break up lamb in a bowl, add the choppes stuff, and mix together by hand.

Make into meatballs, and chill. Can either put on skewers to grill, or fry in a bit of olive oil

Yogurt Sauce:

1 cup plain yogurt
3 green onions, minced
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 cucumber,peeled seeded and coarsley grated (about 1 cup)
1 medium tomato,peeled, seeded and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and pour into a serving bowl. Refrigerate for a hour before serving.

Use yogurt sauce as a garnish with meat balls. I also like to have some Harissa on the side (Mustapha's is the best).

This sounds absolutely delicious!

It is. I took the original recipe and amped up the spices - I like a lot of flavor.

Ground lamb is another of those meats I always find with special discounted prices, but unlike veal, it really requires a developed taste: It is not beef-like. It is not pork-like. I is not turkey-like. One had better be very careful serving lamb only to people who like lamb. Many, including The Slaves, will simply not eat it however much I disguise it (typically in Moussaka).

This is so yummy:

1 lb ground lamb
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup parsley leaves
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp Ras Al Hanout
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon

Directions:

Chop and mix all ingredients except lamb in a food processor. Break up lamb in a bowl, add the choppes stuff, and mix together by hand.

Make into meatballs, and chill. Can either put on skewers to grill, or fry in a bit of olive oil

Yogurt Sauce:

1 cup plain yogurt
3 green onions, minced
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp rice wine vinegar

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and pour into a serving bowl. Refrigerate for a hour before serving.

Use yogurt sauce as a garnish with meat balls. I also like to have some Harissa on the side (Mustapha's is the best).

It is. I took the original recipe and amped up the spices - I like a lot of flavor.

I have a similar recipe for kefta except it is Egyptian and uses ground beef my mom has been using it for years, this recipe uses tomato and potatoes too tho.

Ras al Hanout is a spice blend - and it can vary. It means "head of the shop", or the best spices.

I wonder if that's available at regular grocery stores, or do you have to get it at a specialty shop or online or something? I love spices and I'm always looking at them when I go shopping. I've never noticed that one before, and that's why I ask.

I can find it at my local market, but I live in a foodie area.

You can get it on Amazon, too.

A new grocery store is supposed to be opening up soon in my area. In the meantime, I've been shopping at Walmart to save money. Of course, they wouldn't have it there. When the new store opens, I'll be looking for that spice for the recipe you posted. It sounds really good. I could go to Whole Foods, but that is quite a travel for me just for a spice.

I've had veal and it is amazing, but I have not eaten it in decades and never would again. Horrible the way they are raised.

It is, and I've heard the horror stories. I still eat it. I refuse to watch the morbid videos that vegetarians like to post for fear that it would ruin my appetite. Some animals are food. I would also prefer a more humane method of killing them, but they are going to do it in the most efficient and cost effective way I assume. A lot of other methods that might be more humane could also ruin the meat, or some of it anyway. I don't see why they can't at least bonk them on the head first or something. Or maybe they do . . . I don't know.

This is so yummy:

1 lb ground lamb
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup parsley leaves
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp Ras Al Hanout
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon

Directions:

Yogurt Sauce:

1 cup plain yogurt
3 green onions, minced
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp rice wine vinegar

Directions:

I have a similar recipe for kefta except it is Egyptian and uses ground beef my mom has been using it for years, this recipe uses tomato and potatoes too tho.

You can make veal chili too! Here's a recipe. Geez, it doesn't get much easier than this recipe! :D

VEAL CHILI
6 oz. ground veal
1 c. tomato puree
4 oz. can tomato with liquid
6 oz. onions, chopped
1 tsp. garlic chips or salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1 tbsp. flour
8 oz. canned chili beans

Brown veal. Combine remaining ingredients except for beans to make sauce. Cook for 15 minutes or until thick. Add veal, drained kidney beans and serve over rice, if desired. Serves 2.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Oh, how could I forget about veal marsala? Delicious! :tongue:

Veal Marsala Recipe Giada De Laurentiis Food Network

ei1c11_veal_marsala.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

Ingredients
8 veal cutlets (about 3 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 to 4 garlic cloves, smashed
2 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sweet Marsala
3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
Leaves from 1 fresh rosemary sprig
Directions
Sprinkle the veal with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 veal cutlets and cook until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer the veal to a plate. Add another tablespoon of butter and oil, if necessary. Repeat with the remaining 4 cutlets. Set the cutlets aside.

Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the shallot and garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add a tablespoon of the olive oil, if necessary. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender and the juices evaporate, about 3 minutes. Season with salt. Add the Marsala. Simmer until the Marsala reduces by half, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and the rosemary leaves. Simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Return the veal to the skillet. Pour in all of the pan juices. Cook just until heated through, turning to coat, about 1 minute. Stir the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into the sauce. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.

Using tongs, transfer the veal to plates. Spoon the sauce over the veal and serve.

Read more at: Veal Marsala Recipe Giada De Laurentiis Food Network

I've had veal and it is amazing, but I have not eaten it in decades and never would again. Horrible the way they are raised.

It is, and I've heard the horror stories. I still eat it. I refuse to watch the morbid videos that vegetarians like to post for fear that it would ruin my appetite. Some animals are food. I would also prefer a more humane method of killing them, but they are going to do it in the most efficient and cost effective way I assume. A lot of other methods that might be more humane could also ruin the meat, or some of it anyway. I don't see why they can't at least bonk them on the head first or something. Or maybe they do . . . I don't know.

You say you don't know.
You asssume.
You choose to remain ignorant.
And you still eat it.
You CHOOSE to support absolutely mind numbing cruelty.

Strictly speaking, "some animals" are not food for humans. If you CHOOSE to eat animals, why not DEMAND the animal be raised, transported and slaughtered humanely?

Fact is, if people had to raise and kill every bite of flesh they consume, there would be a lot more vegetarians.

And no, so called "humane veal", also known as "meadow", "free range", "rose" and other adorable names is not humane.

You say you don't know.
You asssume.
And you still eat it.

Strictly speaking, "some animals" are not food for humans. If you CHOOSE to eat animals, why not DEMAND the animal be raised, transported and slaughtered humanely?

Fact is, if people had to raise and kill every bite of flesh they consume, there would be a lot more vegetarians.

And no, so called "humane veal", also known as "meadow", "free range", "rose" and other adorable names is not humane.

That's right. I will continue to eat meat. My grandparents were both raised on farms, both were/are meat eaters. Yes, there is going to be some cruelty in the world. The way we kill an animal really isn't any more cruel than getting their intestines eaten out by a lion while they're still alive, now is it? It is the food chain, and we are at the top.

How can you say you would beat a baby to the point of bleeding but say you wouldn't eat veal?

What?! :omg:

Another Nfl Player adrian Peterson In Hot Water US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

But why is it okay to torture one kind of baby but not another?

Again, I would use my Puppy Test.

Would it be okay with you if a puppy was treated the way veal calves are?

You say you don't know.
You asssume.
And you still eat it.

That's right. I will continue to eat meat. My grandparents were both raised on farms, both were/are meat eaters. Yes, there is going to be some cruelty in the world. The way we kill an animal really isn't any more cruel than getting their intestines eaten out by a lion while they're still alive, now is it? It is the food chain, and we are at the top.

Lame excuse.

Non-human animals don't have choices.

We do.

We can choose whether or not to torture an animal.

How can you say you would beat a baby to the point of bleeding but say you wouldn't eat veal?

Another Nfl Player adrian Peterson In Hot Water US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

They are NOT babies. They are animals. They are food. Some animals are food and some eat them. That is the way of nature. A puppy (in OUR culture at least) is NOT food. They are a pet.

I love animals too, but I try to be realistic and keep things into perspective. That is the difference between being able to remain sane and rational and taking things to an extreme.

My grandmother used to wring chickens' necks with her bare hands.

Very humane.

The animal lived a relatively normal life and then, one day, BAM. Dead.

Wouldn't we all like to go like that?

They don't know any better. They are NOT people. They are animals that are born and bred for human consumption. If you were hungry, you would NOT turn up your nose at such food either.

You say you don't know.
You asssume.
And you still eat it.

Lame excuse.

Non-human animals don't have choices.

We do.

We can choose whether or not to torture an animal.

That is not true. There are PLENTY of people who don't have choices when it comes to their food. Be thankful that you are a rich enough person to be able to choose your diet and don't knock on those who choose differently from you or who don't have any choices.

Besides, this thread is about a person asking for a simple recipe and NOT for you crazy vegetarians to start your grandstanding. We meat eaters would as soon shoot you and add you to one of our courses. Lol! You probably all taste like lima beans though.

They are NOT babies. They are animals. They are food. Some animals are food and some eat them. That is the way of nature. A puppy (in OUR culture at least) is NOT food. They are a pet.

I love animals too, but I try to be realistic and keep things into perspective. That is the difference between being able to remain sane and rational and taking things to an extreme.

Do the calves know they are not babies?

I'm realistic too. That's why I say I know that people will eat dead animals. You would have to live in a cave not to know that eating dead animals is bad for you but people are going to go right on doing it.

I'm not saying you should stop eating dead animals. I saying, why not demand they be raised, transported and killed humanely?

And, you don't "love animals" You love pets. You wouldn't stand for the same things being done to a puppy that you think nothing of being done to the animals on your plate. You simply choose to pretend you don't know about it or that its somehow necessary.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back