Anyone ever home brew beer, or make moonshine?

They had the bundle package that included the kinect for $200 on black friday at Best Buy and Toys R Us. I went out after having dinner on Thanksgiving thinking there's no way it'll be that packed since I'm sure most people would prefer to be with their families......

I don't have to continue, do I? :rolleyes: :lol:

I didn't even attempt it. I just always get pissed off.

Dude, the lines were so long that they basically wrapped all the way around the side of the building at Best Buy and around the back of the strip mall it's in. There were tents set up that I guess people stayed overnight in because I was there the day before and they weren't there yet.

Toys R Us down the street had a line just as long but no tents.

I just went home. I can't imagine any material item being that important that you'd wait in a line for hours on end, much less overnight, with a bunch of rabid retard consumers. It takes a special kind of idiot for that.

I agree. My time is worth more than doing shit like that.

HHGregg a few stores down from Best Buy had the bundle for $200 too, and there was only 1 person standing outside there when I got there. But that was around 8pm and they didn't open til midnight. I just couldn't bring myself to stand there for 4 hours. At least at best Buy they were going to start handing out tickets at 10. I was willing to do 2 hours if the line wasn't bad, but I don't have the patience to wait for 4 hours.

I don't have the patience to wait thirty minutes. Too much shit to do.

Plus, I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually spend the money on one. I'm hardly ever home, so it would actually be a waste.

I don't have the patience to wait thirty minutes. Too much shit to do.

Plus, I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually spend the money on one. I'm hardly ever home, so it would actually be a waste.

I would probably use it about as much as I've ever used the PS2 or the Wii...almost never. My girlfriend really likes the kinect and I think my son would have a blast with it, so it was more for them, but she was working that night and wouldn't be waiting in line with me. I could probably have done it if she was there hanging with me, but it was my business partner and I and I can't sit there for 4 hours with him, we see enough of each other :lol:

I'm doing both right now for the first time. Beer will be bottled tomorrow, and the moonshine "mash", which is just water, corn meal, sugar, and yeast, is fermenting now and will be distilled probably monday night.

Yeah?

You're distilling hard liquor, are you?

You do realize that that is illegal, right?

I'm doing both right now for the first time. Beer will be bottled tomorrow, and the moonshine "mash", which is just water, corn meal, sugar, and yeast, is fermenting now and will be distilled probably monday night.

Yeah?

:lol: More "Land of the free" bullshit.:cuckoo:
I make mine 30 gallons at a time.
I use pure cane from the mill ....it's more like a cane brandy I suppose.
I't proofs out about 120, then I carbon filter it 2-3 times through a 4 inch by 1 meter PVC rig.

Yeah?

Yeah, and you do realize that the weed you've frequently mentioned that you smoke is illegal too, right?

But that doesn't stop you from doing it.

Glad we got that straightened out.

Good day, sir :thup:

Is it illegal?

I seem to remember that it's not illegal as long as you don't sell it or make over a certain amount. State laws vary of course, and I could be totally wrong.

Is it illegal?

I seem to remember that it's not illegal as long as you don't sell it or make over a certain amount. State laws vary of course, and I could be totally wrong.

I think it's the distillation process that's illegal, probably because of the percentage of alcohol that results, but yeah it's a state issue. One of the few states rights we still have.

I was wrong. It's completely a fed issue and completely illegal.

Why is it against the law to make moonshine? - Slate Magazine

bastards.

Ok, so I was wrong about a state issue, but I knew it was because of the alcohol content. 1 bottle of shine is worth probably 10x a bottle of wine of the same volume.

Of course, it's all about the taxes.

Yup.

But I doubt they would go after a small-time personal use brewer. Sounds like they go after the distributors.

Even if I drank like I used to I wouldn't make it. Too many things can go wrong. My sister was a biochemist and she made wine.....tasted awful.

Most moonshine sucks. You really need to know what you're doing. Then there's the government wanting their cut. I don't want to go to jail for making shitty booze.

I was wrong. It's completely a fed issue and completely illegal.

Why is it against the law to make moonshine? - Slate Magazine

bastards.

Ok, so I was wrong about a state issue, but I knew it was because of the alcohol content. 1 bottle of shine is worth probably 10x a bottle of wine of the same volume.

Yup.

But I doubt they would go after a small-time personal use brewer. Sounds like they go after the distributors.

Yeah, I have 2 gallons of mash fermenting right now, which will be MAYBE a gallon of liquor after I distill. I don't think they'd even waste their time coming to my door for that.

Yup.

Yeah, I have 2 gallons of mash fermenting right now, which will be MAYBE a gallon of liquor after I distill. I don't think they'd even waste their time coming to my door for that.

Are you making white lightning?

Even if I drank like I used to I wouldn't make it. Too many things can go wrong. My sister was a biochemist and she made wine.....tasted awful.

Most moonshine sucks. You really need to know what you're doing. Then there's the government wanting their cut. I don't want to go to jail for making shitty booze.

It's not always academic knowledge that produces the best results. It's trial and error. The process only works one way. Bacteria consume sugar and produce alcohol. The only thing you really need to do is get the recipe where you want it and of course filter the distilled liquor adequately.

As far as taste, I'm not drinking 180 proof liquor straight, I'm proofing it down to something reasonable and making cocktails with it like I'd do with any other hard liquor.

My next batch will be something fermented with a flavor added, probably some kind of fruit.

Yup.

From what I understand, that term is just another name for the general corn whiskey that the moonshine process creates. It's like saying weed, herb, grass, etc.

From what I understand, that term is just another name for the general corn whiskey that the moonshine process creates. It's like saying weed, herb, grass, etc.

I dunno. Not my area of expertise. But I think it would be awesome to distill bourbon. But that probably takes so much more time and tools to make it impractical.

I dunno. Not my area of expertise. But I think it would be awesome to distill bourbon. But that probably takes so much more time and tools to make it impractical.

Bourbon includes extra ingredients in the initial mash process, barley malt I believe, and then the distilled whiskey is aged in wood barrels.

Forum List

Back