Anyone ever had appendicitis?

Appendectomies are so simple that recently graduated residents are often the ones to perform the procedure. If the kid hasn't been out drinking the night before there is a good chance everything will be alright.

Seriously McRocket - no worries. You're going to be fine.

Appendectomies are so simple that recently graduated residents are often the ones to perform the procedure. If the kid hasn't been out drinking the night before there is a good chance everything will be alright.

Seriously McRocket - no worries. You're going to be fine.

Thanks...appreciate it.

I am in a hosptial and they jus did a CAT scan and told me I have it.
They want to rip it out as soon as the surgeon arrives (bit of a rural hospital)...a few hours. I thought for certain I was just being a baby - that there was no way it was my appendix. But no - that’s what it is.

Anyone had the surgery before? I am not overly worried about it - frankly, I just want it done so I can go home (I hate hospitals).
/——/ Get better man.
Thanks appreciate it.
You should have asked them to put it in a jar to be sure they removed it !
Like hillbilly mechanix. They bleed the brakes and tell you ya got them thar new brake shoezes ! Doc Bob Roy might just have slashed you with a Buck, put in 5 stitches and billed insurance 35 grand ! It was the pre-op enema that got rid of Maw Mildreds biscuits that cured ya !
Ya gotta watch 'em. Especially if'n yer a yankee !

Brother Mike went in for a gall bladder removal !

5169065-michaeljackson.jpg

Last edited:
They want to rip it out as soon as the surgeon arrives (bit of a rural hospital)...a few hours. I thought for certain I was just being a baby - that there was no way it was my appendix. But no - that’s what it is.

Anyone had the surgery before? I am not overly worried about it - frankly, I just want it done so I can go home (I hate hospitals).
/——/ Get better man.
Thanks appreciate it.
You should have asked them to put it in a jar to be sure they removed it !
Like hillbilly mechanix. They bleed the brakes and tell you ya got them thar new brake shoezes ! Doc Bob Roy might just have slashed you with a Buck, put in 5 stitches and billed insurance 35 grand ! It was the pre-op enema that got rid of Maw Mildreds biscuits that cured ya !
Ya gotta watch 'em. Especially if'n yer a yankee !

Brother Mike went in for a gall bladder removal !

5169065-michaeljackson.jpg
I actually asked them if I could keep it - half-kiddingly.

And they said no, so maybe you are right.

Those that had a traditional (not laparoscopically) appendectomy?

How long did the intense pain phase last? I work in front of my computer - which is practically painless. And walking, doing normal things is sore...but no biggie. But getting in and out of my car and bed is excruciating. I have never experienced that much pain before - and I used to get full blown migraines, once a week..and they were like ice picks slowly driven into your temples. But that was relentless pain. This is like a flash of searing pain (I know I sound like a baby).
The other night, I got frustrated in bed with the pain every time I try to turn over and just jerked my body to turn over. BIG MISTAKE. The pain was amazing and I was not miles from passing out. Just from removing a tiny, pretty-much-useless organ? And the doctors said 'this is normal after open surgery'. Shit man...I had no idea. All those poor people that have 'general surgery' go through this...damn.
How long does this mega-pain phase last (barring complications)? A week? 2? 3?

I looked online - but it varies wildly and is vague.

Any honest, experienced opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I just found out what the pain is. It’s the staples they use to hold the incision together. They are pointed inwards. So when I bend or move a certain way, I get about 16 tiny, little knives sticking into the stomach muscles that cover my abdomen. No wonder it hurts SO mich.
I get the staples out next Monday - so I will be in tons of pain under certain circumstances until then.

Just explaining it for anyone who reads this in the future with a similar problem.

Get a couple guys to raise the head of the bed up about a foot so it's easier to get in and out. Maybe a couple cement blocks on each back corner with a piece of wood on top.. That'll be 9-10 inches . Less abs needed to get up.

Get a couple guys to raise the head of the bed up about a foot so it's easier to get in and out. Maybe a couple cement blocks on each back corner with a piece of wood on top.. That'll be 9-10 inches . Less abs needed to get up.

Don’t do that. Increased chances of blood clots.

I just found out what the pain is. It’s the staples they use to hold the incision together. They are pointed inwards. So when I bend or move a certain way, I get about 16 tiny, little knives sticking into the stomach muscles that cover my abdomen. No wonder it hurts SO mich.
I get the staples out next Monday - so I will be in tons of pain under certain circumstances until then.

Just explaining it for anyone who reads this in the future with a similar problem.

I believe the medical term is “suck it up.”

Sitting in front of a 'puter post op is far more likely to result in a DVT than from slight inclination.Either way. Dont sit a lot. Put a laptop on a kitchen counter or something to stand at and keep moving.

Sitting in front of a 'puter post op is far more likely to result in a DVT than from slight inclination.Either way. Dont sit a lot. Put a laptop on a kitchen counter or something to stand at and keep moving.

I’m always moving, but why tell me? I didn’t get the appendectomy.

I just found out what the pain is. It’s the staples they use to hold the incision together. They are pointed inwards. So when I bend or move a certain way, I get about 16 tiny, little knives sticking into the stomach muscles that cover my abdomen. No wonder it hurts SO much.

Again, for anyone who has a 'classic' appendectomy in the future, I found out part of the pain I had was due to a skin infection around the site. I went to my GP and she said it was definitely contributing to the pain and she gave me some antibiotics and some codeine (so I could sleep at night).
After a couple of days, the pain was FAR better...so maybe she was right.

My point is that probably a normal 'classic' appendectomy would not have been as painful as it was for me. Bad...but not horrible (there was one point where I almost passed out from the pain - which leads me to another lesson I learned. Never fight bad pain...the pain will always win no matter how angry you get at 'it'.).

So...if you get a 'classic' appendectomy, barring complications, apparently you should start to feel noticeably better in about 4 or 5 days (that seems to be the consensus).

And go see your doctor after the operation ASAP - don't assume the hospital did not miss anything.

Thanks again to everyone's input on this page.

I just found out what the pain is. It’s the staples they use to hold the incision together. They are pointed inwards. So when I bend or move a certain way, I get about 16 tiny, little knives sticking into the stomach muscles that cover my abdomen. No wonder it hurts SO much.

Again, for anyone who has a 'classic' appendectomy in the future, I found out part of the pain I had was due to a skin infection around the site. I went to my GP and she said it was definitely contributing to the pain and she gave me some antibiotics and some codeine (so I could sleep at night).

My point is that probably a normal 'classic' appendectomy would not have been as painful as it was for me. Bad...but not horrible (there was one point where I almost passed out from the pain - which leads me to another lesson I learned. Never fight bad pain...the pain will always win no matter how angry you get at 'it'.).

So...if you get a 'classic' appendectomy, barring complications, apparently you should start to feel noticeably better in about 4 or 5 days (that seems to be the consensus).

And go see your doctor after the operation ASAP - don't assume the hospital did not miss anything.

Do you always complain this much?

Are you always so inept at reading comprehension?

I am not complaining...I am informing others who may go through the same thing what to expect and giving them advice so that it can help them. How can I complain about something that no longer exists - DUH? The pain is long gone.

Sheesh...what an asshole you are.

Someone tries to help others and you take it as complaining.

You are just pissed because I made a fool of you before and now you are trying some juvenile attempt at 'revenge'. You seem a spoiled troll.

We are done here.

Have a nice day...sounds like you need one.

(off to my Ignore List for you. Time and again you have acted like a spoiled brat that I have seen. I try not to waste my time on such people).

Last edited:

Do you always complain this much?

Are you always so inept at reading comprehension?

I am not complaining...I am informing others who may go through the same thing what to expect and giving them advice so that it can help them. How can I complain about something that no longer exists - DUH? The pain is long gone.

Sheesh...what an asshole you are.

Someone tries to help others and you take it as complaining.

You are just pissed because I made a fool of you before and now you are trying some juvenile attempt at 'revenge'. You seem a spoiled troll.

We are done here.

Have a nice day...sounds like you need one.

(off to my Ignore List for you. Time and again you have acted like a spoiled brat that I have seen. I try not to waste my time on such people).

Hmmm...it seems they took out the wrong organ. Honest mistake as they are both small and useless.

Come on dude!!!!
Dont be a pussy!!! I had mine done when I was eleven or twelve back in 76 or 77 and recovered just fine.
This shit ain't heart surgery.

Sooo...trying to inform others of what could happen (just for the heck of it) is 'being a pussy'?

So noted.

Last edited:

You "want it done" because you'll DIE if it's not. Good Allah people are dumm these days

Come on dude!!!!
Dont be a pussy!!! I had mine done when I was eleven or twelve back in 76 or 77 and recovered just fine.

Sooo...trying to inform others of what could happen (just for the heck of it) is 'being a pussy'?

And where exactly did I say that people don't recover from it or that it is IN ANY WAY serious?

You're overreacting.
An appendectomy is as exciting as getting a tooth pulled.
I've had an appendectomy,back surgery,hip replacement and cancer surgery. Not to mention major oral surgery,and arm surgery.
I know it ain't no fun but it's a cake walk compared.

Come on dude!!!!

And where exactly did I say that people don't recover from it or that it is IN ANY WAY serious?

You're overreacting.
I've had an appendectomy,back surgery,hip replacement and cancer surgery. Not to mention major oral surgery,and arm surgery.

Where did I say it was a big deal? I once had over 100 tiny holes in my head. That WAS a big deal.

Of course it is not a big deal (unless the appendix bursts - then it IS a big deal).

So tell us oh Doctor...exactly how serious does a medical procedure have to be before you no longer consider simply posting, medical procedure information/advice to be acting like a 'pussy'?

Last edited:
Come on dude!!!!

You're overreacting.

Where did I say it was a big deal? I once had over 100 tiny holes in my head. THAT WAS a big deal.

Of course it is not a big deal (unless the appendix bursts - then it IS a big deal).

So tell us owe Doctor...exactly how serious does a medical procedure have to be before you no longer consider simply posting medical procedure information to be acting like a 'pussy'?

So, if I go through a relatively, minor procedure (like this was) and wish to share data I have learned about it with others who may one day go through the same thing...you are saying that is 'being a pussy'?

What a whiny little bitch... How many tears can you cry?

Forum List

Back