Anyone else ever change the two cables on a garage door and rewind the torsion springs?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Don't, unless you're one brave sonofabitch. :laughing0301:

We have a 7' double-wide garage and one of the door cables rusted through at the bottom and broke a few weeks ago. I had to cut the other cable to let the other side of the door all the way down, so mice wouldn't get in. Last time I had a cable break, I had some garage door repairmen come and fix it They charged me $250, so I decided to fix it myself. The cables were only $15 for a pair at Ace Hardware, and putting them on was the easy part.

I had to make two 18" iron bars to wind the torsion springs, which is pretty dangerous if the winding bar happens to slip out. After getting them wound, the door actually came out better than when the repairmen did it last time. They left a 1/4" gap on once side, but now it's all the way down on both sides and it saved me $250.

gd1.jpg

gd2.jpg

gd3.jpg

That's interesting. I tried to buy the winding tool before. Nobody will sell them to you, unless you're in the business. It's sort of a little cartel thing going on.

We have a 7' double-wide garage and one of the door cables rusted through at the bottom and broke a few weeks ago. I had to cut the other cable to let the other side of the door all the way down, so mice wouldn't get in. Last time I had a cable break, I had some garage door repairmen come and fix it They charged me $250, so I decided to fix it myself. The cables were only $15 for a pair at Ace Hardware, and putting them on was the easy part.

I had to make two 18" iron bars to wind the torsion springs, which is pretty dangerous if the winding bar happens to slip out. After getting them wound, the door actually came out better than when the repairmen did it last time. They left a 1/4" gap on once side, but now it's all the way down on both sides and it saved me $250.

View attachment 807588
View attachment 807589
View attachment 807590
When we bought this house the garage door would not open. I watched the door guys rewind the spring with the two bars you talked about. I had no idea how they did it before. The kid winding it kept asking the older guy, "Is that enough?" He said, "No keep winding until I tell you." Looked like it was killing him.

When we bought this house the garage door would not open. I watched the door guys rewind the spring with the two bars you talked about. I had no idea how they did it before. The kid winding it kept asking the older guy, "Is that enough?" He said, "No keep winding until I tell you." Looked like it was killing him.

I don't know exactly how much the door weighs, but there is at least a couple hundred pounds of tension on that spring.

You are so brave and capable with your big tool , Mr Galt .I wish I was your garage door and could open and shut at your command .

Exactly what I was going to say.
It's probably not all that difficult to do but I'd want to see someone who knows what they're doing first.

All I can say is, thank God for Youtube videos of people doing stuff. I only had to watch four videos before I figured it all you.

View attachment 807588
View attachment 807590
dad did my older sister's garage door 3 years ago at 89 years old.... To save the money....

ended up in the ER with 46 stitches on his hand and my sister with a bloody mess in her garage!!! And paying for a repairman.

dad did my older sister's garage door 3 years ago at 89 years old.... To save the money....

ended up in the ER with 46 stitches on his hand and my sister with a bloody mess in her garage!!! And paying for a repairman.

Those things are definitely dangerous. Some folks have tried to use a screwdriver to wind them, with disastrous results. The winding bars are something like $15 dollars at the hardware store, but I just cut two pieces of 1/2" iron bar.

Now I'm sore as hell tonight. :laugh:

Forum List

Back