Anyone can be a Navy SEAL.

I base my opinion on Luttrell's book. Seals are Sailors who volunteer for the training which is focused on resisting hypothermia and carrying rubber boats in and out of the water and paddling while unconscious. I'm not trying to make fun of the training but it is not geared toward infantry operations. Seals aren't supermen who can shoot better than Marines or Army Special Forces, they attend the same schools. Army and Marine commanders ran the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan so it didn't make sense for a Sailor with a different command structure and different communications to take on a sniping position unless Seals had become the CIA's private little army and the CIA was running the show while Army and Marine commanders stood by (how did that work out in Vietnam?) . In Luttrell's last patrol the Seals were operating independently of regular forces and when they became surrounded Seal commanders independently launched a rescue helicopter which landed right in front of an enemy RPG. Luttrell was rescued by Army Rangers.

I base my opinion on Luttrell's book. Seals are Sailors who volunteer for the training which is focused on resisting hypothermia and carrying rubber boats in and out of the water and paddling while unconscious. I'm not trying to make fun of the training but it is not geared toward infantry operations. Seals aren't supermen who can shoot better than Marines or Army Special Forces, they attend the same schools. Army and Marine commanders ran the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan so it didn't make sense for a Sailor with a different command structure and different communications to take on a sniping position unless Seals had become the CIA's private little army and the CIA was running the show while Army and Marine commanders stood by (how did that work out in Vietnam?) . In Luttrell's last patrol the Seals were operating independently of regular forces and when they became surrounded Seal commanders independently launched a rescue helicopter which landed right in front of an enemy RPG. Luttrell was rescued by Army Rangers.
I did a lot of hunting in the valley where that bird went down about a year later.
Matter of fact, the guy who shot it down?
We burned his dad's house down one night. That was an accident though.

I am far tougher and more fit than any avg man and I could not last a few hrs with only the basic camp

That was an easy jump. Ram Air chutes are as controllable as hang gliders. I've seen special forces troops do HALO jumps on smaller targets opening their chutes at under five hundred feet in training. I've heard of them opening far lower in combat.

Anyone crazy enough to do this.

On my best best day I don’t think I could get through 5 hours of Seals boot camp
Now try dozens of hours for a few months lol
They’re special and the best with Delta Force

Seal training is truly unique. On my best day in the Marines I don't think I could withstand the hypothermic extremes Seal candidates go through. I don't get it.

Anyone crazy enough to do this.

On my best best day I don’t think I could get through 5 hours of Seals boot camp
Now try dozens of hours for a few months lol
They’re special and the best with Delta Force

Seal training is truly unique. On my best day in the Marines I don't think I could withstand the hypothermic extremes Seal candidates go through. I don't get it.

The real seals are in Russia.

My Dad was in the Navy in the South Pacific in WWII. He and his twin brother were in Underwater Demolitions. The mission was to place dynamite charges in coral reefs to blow channels for landing craft. Dad was in Teams 5 and 25. He helped prep the reefs prepatory to the invasions of Saipan, Tinian, and Guadalcanal.

UDT morphed into the SEALs as missions were added. Some years before he passed, Dad watched a documentary about SEAL training. Dad said it wasn't much different from what he and my uncle went through at Fort Pierce, Florida.

I've read some accounts by SEAL instructors and a recurring thing is that in every SEAL class there are surprises about those who make it through and those who wash out for physical or mental reasons. One class had a bunch of very high profile accomplished servicemen who were dropped on request while the "star" of the class who emerged as a highly capable leader who elevated the performance of all those around him was simply a common sailor with nothing in his background to suggest success.

I've read some accounts by SEAL instructors and a recurring thing is that in every SEAL class there are surprises about those who make it through and those who wash out for physical or mental reasons. One class had a bunch of very high profile accomplished servicemen who were dropped on request while the "star" of the class who emerged as a highly capable leader who elevated the performance of all those around him was simply a common sailor with nothing in his background to suggest success.
Hard training doesn't make capable people, it just reveals them.

Forum List

Back