Anybody good with batteries?

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Ok, I want a battery for when we go off grid camping. I know I need a deep cycle but the AH and stuff I don't understand.
I will be hooking up a power inverter to it(with alligator clamps) to charge laptop, phones, speakers small stuff like that. I also have a 35 watt portable air conditioner I will be having on all night.
Will be used 2 or 3 nights at a time.
What will last the whole time?
Willing to spend up to 300.

Ok, I want a battery for when we go off grid camping. I know I need a deep cycle but the AH and stuff I don't understand.
I will be hooking up a power inverter to it(with alligator clamps) to charge laptop, phones, speakers small stuff like that. I also have a 35 watt portable air conditioner I will be having on all night.

the simple thing would be to get a marine grade deep cycle,, I doubt it will run an AC for very long without recharge but the rest shouldnt be a problem,,

of course you could get two of them and connect them to get a longer life,,

youre looking at close to 150.00 each,,

the simple thing would be to get a marine grade deep cycle,, I doubt it will run an AC for very long without recharge but the rest shouldnt be a problem,,

It really isnt much of an AC though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGT76J4/?tag=ff0d01-20

Why don't you get a portable electric generator? That's what you need if you will be running a small air conditioner.

that is small so it is sure to last longer dependin on the run time and other items being charged,,
there are single panel solar kits available to recharge during the day

I'm very curious to see how it works out cause its perfect size for my teardrop trailer

Why don't you get a portable electric generator?
I have considered it but I dont want to mess with solar panels or a gas generator to charge it. They arent very powerful without spending 500 bucks

You have to figure how many amps the loads are drawing.

Once you know that, you’ll have an idea of how long the battery will go before it needs recharging.

I don't know but one of these would be handy.

81VIhf3TBXL._AC_SX569_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TY3HGF7/?tag=ff0d01-20

that is small so it is sure to last longer dependin on the run time and other items being charged,,
there are single panel solar kits available to recharge during the day

I'm very curious to see how it works out cause its perfect size for my teardrop trailer
My buddy got the same thing and he loves it. It would definitely cool a teardrop. I'm using a tent.
Im also stuck on a nice ground tent or a rooftop tent. I would rather have a teardrop but I dont want a payment until my truck is paid for. I want the offroad ones because I go through some harsh terrain.

Well for what it's worth I was an avid off roader so did lots of research on batteries and found Odyssey AGM batteries to be about the best bang for the buck going.
There not cheap but you do tend to get what you pay for. There is a lot of info out there about them including exactly how and where they're made.
They're Made in the US while the one time favorite Optima are now Mexican made and not the bargain they once were.
Get the most amp hour storage capacity you can afford and want to lug around. Warning Odyssey batteries are heavy for their size which is part of why they're so good. Lots of capacity is a smaller volume.

Why don't you get a portable electric generator?
I have considered it but I dont want to mess with solar panels or a gas generator to charge it. They arent very powerful without spending 500 bucks
I don't see you getting more power from a battery...... but then again, I'm no expert.
Me either but from what I could tell, a battery generator is usually around 100 to 150 watts with around a 40AH. A deep cycle has 100 to 150AH which means amp hours and can pull way more wattage.
But like i said, I might not fully understand all this.

Forum List

Back